Skylines Downunder NZ Car Club

General Automotive => Powered by Skyline => Topic started by: nzl on July 08, 2013, 12:13:27 PM

Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 08, 2013, 12:13:27 PM
Hi Guys

I have been wanting a laurel for a while now, And i have come across this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=612554217 I'm really keen on a non skid hack one and in tidy condition. Obviously its not worth 7.8 (Has no cert for 20DET) Neither does it have upgraded brakes required for one. I think 6k is fair. What do you guys think? As this will be my first RB and don't really know what too look for...

Cheers
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Hr31rb30 on July 08, 2013, 01:13:21 PM
looks pretty tidy from pics man but go and check it out pics can be deceiving hahaha and as for brakes for a cert you don't always need to upgrade the brakes for a cert but will deff need one for the motor and id go with 6 if that's what your happy to pay for it id offer him 5 cash....haha but that's just me
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: b00stinz on July 08, 2013, 01:17:57 PM
Quote from: nzl;617267
Hi Guys

I have been wanting a laurel for a while now, And i have come across this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=612554217 I'm really keen on a non skid hack one and in tidy condition. Obviously its not worth 7.8 (Has no cert for 20DET) Neither does it have upgraded brakes required for one. I think 6k is fair. What do you guys think? As this will be my first RB and don't really know what too look for...

Cheers


Yeeah I'd pay about 6k for that. Exhaust might get you in trouble though and we all know cars from places like whangarei are thrashed because they have nothing else to do after a few beers on saturday arvo
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 08, 2013, 01:43:48 PM
Cheers guys i know this sounds stupid, but im just after a really legit non cop bait car as stupid as that sounds when im wanting a C33. So the cert will be the first thing. And i honestly think it may have not been thrashed too bad, She has a laurel drift car, A forged S14, a S15 so hopefully she chooses the S-chassis haha. Ill try and get some more pics, Also the box is from VL, can that handle a 20DET? Cheers guys :)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: SKDSUP on July 08, 2013, 05:22:52 PM
Point to note. Doesn't actually require 5 stud upgrade for cert.  A good pad swap does the trick. As all factory s13 a31 c33 180sx turbos came 4 stud out the box.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on July 08, 2013, 05:30:30 PM
It does look tidy, get a pre-purchase inspection done pending their acceptance on your offer (no point going ahead if the seller is set at that very steep price).

Quote from: nzl;617280
im just after a really legit non cop bait car as stupid as that sounds when im wanting a C33.

Why does that sound stupid? It sounds the opposite - smart!
My 32 has no fancy kit, no factory skirts and the more boring out of the 2 standard bumpers. It's modestly lowered on R34 17" wheels with a fmic that's pushed right back (no hacked up bumper) and a sedate-ish exhaust (that's all that's visible outside the car at least)... I've owned the car for 4ish years and I've been pulled over only twice, both just random checks.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 08, 2013, 06:48:36 PM
Good to know about not requiring 5 stud conversion, is it actually worth doing?


Quote from: BADHAB|T;617297
It does look tidy, get a pre-purchase inspection done pending their acceptance on your offer (no point going ahead if the seller is set at that very steep price).


Why does that sound stupid? It sounds the opposite - smart!
My 32 has no fancy kit, no factory skirts and the more boring out of the 2 standard bumpers. It's modestly lowered on R34 17" wheels with a fmic that's pushed right back (no hacked up bumper) and a sedate-ish exhaust (that's all that's visible outside the car at least)... I've owned the car for 4ish years and I've been pulled over only twice, both just random checks.

Yeah man, i really like the d-low sleeper kinda look (If that makes sense haha) I will also be tidying up the paintwork and body to have it looking top notch. I had a friend offer her 6.5 too see what she said and the reply was basically a yes. So i think im going to offer 6.

Im manged to get some engine bay pics which all looks how it should? But i guess you cant tell until you test drive haha. Its out of a GTST with 130*** or 18*** Km's the silly woman lost the dash cluster! Well so she says.

(http://[URL=http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/IMG_05141.jpg.html][IMG]http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/IMG_05141.jpg)[/URL][/IMG]
(http://[URL=http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/IMG_05131.jpg.html][IMG]http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/IMG_05131.jpg)[/URL][/IMG]
(http://[URL=http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/IMG_05151.jpg.html][IMG]http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/IMG_05151.jpg)[/URL][/IMG]
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on July 08, 2013, 06:59:14 PM
Quote from: nzl;617299

Im manged to get some engine bay pics which all looks how it should? But i guess you cant tell until you test drive haha.

Actually, no!
They're n/a breathers on the rocker covers.... there are 2 possibilities for this. Someone has simply fitted them to tidy up the breather hoses (however, I've only ever seen this done when a catch can is fitted, otherwise it's pretty much pointless)
or
the engine is an RB20DE with a turbo conversion.

There are also 2 bolts missing from the bracket that holds the BOV recirc pipe to the J pipe - not bolts that get removed and not replaced for any good reason, but they are bolts that get ignored or forgotten about at the end of a +t project. I may be looking too deeply into that lol, but it's an anomaly and with the breathers is another hint it may not be a genuine DET engine.

Not sure what that plastic intake pipe is from :confused: certainly not R32. It's doing absolutely nothing (nothing there to box that cold air in).
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 08, 2013, 07:45:04 PM
Quote from: BADHAB|T;617301
Actually, no!
They're n/a breathers on the rocker covers.... there are 2 possibilities for this. Someone has simply fitted them to tidy up the breather hoses (however, I've only ever seen this done when a catch can is fitted, otherwise it's pretty much pointless)
or
the engine is an RB20DE with a turbo conversion.

There are also 2 bolts missing from the bracket that holds the BOV recirc pipe to the J pipe - not bolts that get removed and not replaced for any good reason, but they are bolts that get ignored or forgotten about at the end of a +t project. I may be looking too deeply into that lol, but it's an anomaly and with the breathers is another hint it may not be a genuine DET engine.

Not sure what that plastic intake pipe is from :confused: certainly not R32. It's doing absolutely nothing (nothing there to box that cold air in).


Wow haha, soon as i thought this was legit. He replied saying, Yip the are stock DE Breathers and the intake manifold is also. Those parts on the DET were painted Matt black(Must have previously been a fully S1k skidder bae) and he wanted to retain the standard look.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: b00stinz on July 08, 2013, 09:53:13 PM
Man there's no way someone from whangas will go to the effort of changing the breather outlets to DE ones to make the engine bay "tidy". Also non turbo intake manifold? Why go to all that effort?
I'm so sure that is a +T. Check to see if he ran water lines to the turbo, in my experience (I did the same too), the lines were too hard to rig up because of the need for banjos and all that.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on July 08, 2013, 11:58:38 PM
Check the exhaust manifold, turbo etc bolts and nuts for signs they have recently been removed/refitted. Old bolts with newer looking wear marks or simply new bolts all around.
Again, there is a logical explanation - snapped exhaust manifold studs BUT if there are signs they've been touched it's just another anomaly to add to the others.

I also don't buy the sellers story... the factory breather was painted matte black so it got replaced?! Err the parts that are missing are metal and rubber - both black. There is also no evidence of paint anywhere else around the breathers and rocker covers nor anywhere around the plenum. Very, VERY strange things to only paint ....and then remove simply because they're painted and look "messy". Nor do you paint a rubber pipe lol.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on July 09, 2013, 12:04:11 AM
Quote from: b00stinz;617323
Check to see if he ran water lines to the turbo, in my experience (I did the same too), the lines were too hard to rig up because of the need for banjos and all that.

Spanner in the works time (just spotted this)... in the 2nd pic you can see the water line coming from around the back of the head
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 09, 2013, 11:19:09 AM
Quote from: BADHAB|T;617330
Check the exhaust manifold, turbo etc bolts and nuts for signs they have recently been removed/refitted. Old bolts with newer looking wear marks or simply new bolts all around.
Again, there is a logical explanation - snapped exhaust manifold studs BUT if there are signs they've been touched it's just another anomaly to add to the others.

I also don't buy the sellers story... the factory breather was painted matte black so it got replaced?! Err the parts that are missing are metal and rubber - both black. There is also no evidence of paint anywhere else around the breathers and rocker covers nor anywhere around the plenum. Very, VERY strange things to only paint ....and then remove simply because they're painted and look "messy". Nor do you paint a rubber pipe lol.


Yeah it does seem like abit of a strange story. Maybe not worth the two hour drive to check it out?
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on July 09, 2013, 12:01:39 PM
Quote from: nzl;617345
Yeah it does seem like abit of a strange story. Maybe not worth the two hour drive to check it out?


That's up to you mate... but if it was me looking I've seen enough to make me look elsewhere.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 09, 2013, 12:10:57 PM
Yeah i think i might give it a miss... Anyone know of any mint C33's out there for sale? :D
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: b00stinz on July 09, 2013, 12:29:29 PM
Quote from: BADHAB|T;617332
Spanner in the works time (just spotted this)... in the 2nd pic you can see the water line coming from around the back of the head


Ah right just under the manifold, I missed that. Still seems pretty suspect. Who knows, only real way to find out is check the engine block stamp.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: xdrift on July 09, 2013, 05:41:23 PM
The way I would look at it is that it appears to be a very tidy example with all of the manual bits, but with a possibly suspect although running motor. It may not be a genuine rb20det, but this can be fairly easily remedied. I had a quick look on trademe, and Laurels seem to be non-manual/turbo, tidy and cheap or manual/turbo, rough and cheap or manual turbo, tidy and expensive (like most performance cars). The car you're looking at could well be the best compromise, I would definitely go for a tidy body+interior with a potentially suspect engine over the reverse, you may even find with further investigation that it is indeed a genuine rb20det (win!).
I would use all of the above info to talk the seller down and potentially get a bargain.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 09, 2013, 07:03:50 PM
Quote from: b00stinz;617353
Ah right just under the manifold, I missed that. Still seems pretty suspect. Who knows, only real way to find out is check the engine block stamp.


Yeah i asked him for a pic of the engine stamp but he wasn't sure where it was :headbutt: He reckons he has the old Genuine DET parts lying round so ill have to see if he can get some photos!
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 09, 2013, 07:15:31 PM
It's also got some clear coat peeling, Is this is a easy fix or does it mean it will need respray in the foreseeable future? Sorry for all the questions guys! But there's only one way to find these things out haha.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on July 09, 2013, 07:26:13 PM
Quote from: nzl;617376
It's also got some clear coat peeling, Is this is a easy fix or does it mean it will need respray in the foreseeable future? Sorry for all the questions guys! But there's only one way to find these things out haha.

You can try minimise it and hide with sand paper and touch up paint but at the end of the day, the only way you will make it look the way it should is respraying that panel.
No worries about the questions, nothing wrong with asking and learning :)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: A31_25DET on July 09, 2013, 08:33:17 PM
Quote from: nzl;617376
Sorry for all the questions guys! But there's only one way to find these things out haha.

like BADHABIT said, no need to apologise for questions, thats what were are here for, to help each other out and hopefully reduce the amount of what could be a bad decisions :laugh: :D

keep us posted on that engine code :)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: base on July 09, 2013, 09:35:25 PM
Anyone noticed the joiner on the jpipe to intercooler  pipe looks to off bin cut to suit  and pipe and mount don't line up
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on July 09, 2013, 10:23:24 PM
Quote from: base;617385
Anyone noticed the joiner on the jpipe to intercooler  pipe looks to off bin cut to suit  and pipe and mount don't line up


Yeah I did notice that joiner.... it definitely doesn't look right, but I assume that's the factory joiner that's had a chunk taken out of it. IIRC, that join is a reducer so it's not something that's easy to come by as a non standard part and the material it's made from looks like the standard stuff too.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: A31_25DET on July 09, 2013, 10:26:30 PM
another thing to check would be the ECU, see if you can get the numbers off him,

a 20de ECU will run a 20det or 20de+t but not very well speaking from when i bought a c33 with a 20det :)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 10, 2013, 07:31:01 PM
Cheers for all the responses guys! Appreciated, motivates me to get hurry him up haha! He is not in town till Friday so apparently he is going to get his friend to go have a look tomorrow. If all seems to be legit ill try and make the trip up this weekend :dude
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 11, 2013, 12:39:37 PM
Got some other news, Found this Cefiro who is willing to swap for my current car plus 3k his way. Its apparently got a 20DET out of a GTST running 10PSI.

I asked if there where any issues and he said, The standard blow off valve leeks which I found out is common so it sometimes packs a sad and wont idle. I got a after market j pipe with after market blow off valve but the spring in the blow off valve is only a 8pound so need bigger spring for that. idles better with the standard j pipe. Ill send a pic with after market j pipe a blow off valve on.

What do you guys think of this Cefiro?

(http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/cefiro.jpg) (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/cefiro.jpg.html)

[URL=http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/ceifro3.jpg.html](http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/ceifro3.jpg) (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/ceifro4.jpg.html)
(http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/ceifro2.jpg) (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/ceifro2.jpg.html)
After market J-pipe.
(http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/ceifro4.jpg) (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/ceifro4.jpg.html)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on July 11, 2013, 04:30:43 PM
Of course it leaks and there are idle issues.... making the factory plumb back into a VTA isn't the best idea rofl
If that's not the issue, the idle valve probably will be and that's an easy fix.

The car looks tidy but it's showing signs of age... the only real way to tell if it's a good deal is have a look at it!
Value wise... I'm not sure, that all depends on what you value your car at!
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 11, 2013, 05:02:00 PM
Wow sorry, I should have added that! Haha. It's worth around $2.5k at a quick guess.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: A31_25DET on July 11, 2013, 09:55:46 PM
Quote from: nzl;617459
Wow sorry, I should have added that! Haha. It's worth around $2.5k at a quick guess.

what is your current car? doesnt look too bad, check it our in person if you can, pics can be deceiving :)

has it got cert? got to be on adjustables or worse cutties lol

also the bov on that aftermarket j pipe is just a sh*tty chinese piece of crap so no wonder that one isnt any better, keep the factory j pipe and get a decent venting bov or even a twin trumpet where you can recirculate half the flow,
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: b00stinz on July 11, 2013, 11:28:38 PM
I don't understand the two rubber hoses. One goes off breathers to catch tank, the other goes somewhere around the turbo? To the intake perhaps?
 Bad thing is, if that is the case, if the catch can is vented, you're sucking in air that doesn't go through your AFM. Which means running leaner than intended.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 11, 2013, 11:37:32 PM
Think im going to go and check out the black Laurel first just seem to prefer them compared to cefiro's. Plus i think the leg room is better in them, I'm 6.5ft and a big dude! lol
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on July 11, 2013, 11:40:45 PM
Quote from: b00stinz;617498
the other goes somewhere around the turbo? To the intake perhaps?


Well spotted lol... I didn't see that extra hose there! Yeah it goes to the intake pipe, that's where the factory breather goes :)
You're right though, that better be a sealed catch can! If it is, it's plumbed up correctly but it's only doing half the job - what about catching oil vapor on the PCV valve side of the breather system?!
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on July 11, 2013, 11:45:17 PM
Quote from: nzl;617499
I'm 6.5ft and a big dude!


Bloody hell... hows the weather up there? :dfinger:

Agreed though, I'd prefer a C33 over an A31... I can't pinpoint exactly why either lol, they're both very similar cars!
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 12, 2013, 12:12:06 AM
Quote from: BADHAB|T;617501
Bloody hell... hows the weather up there? :dfinger:

Agreed though, I'd prefer a C33 over an A31... I can't pinpoint exactly why either lol, they're both very similar cars!


Haha you should have seen me in a 32 coupe!! Haha. Would have got one but there too small haha i love the factory-ish ones.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 17, 2013, 06:34:45 PM
Woo! I finally made the trip up to Whangarei today to view the black laurel!! Its really tidy and has to be seen to be appreciated the interior is basically spotless! I was shown the car by the owners mum as he lives out of town and turns out she owned before him and knew the owner before her, So only had 3 owners in total. It was pretty funny boosting around Whangarei with a 70yo driver lol. I didn't really get anymore info if its plus t or genuine DET, as i really didn't know what to look for but i have a gut feeling its genuine lol. Quite funny the radiator hose had a snip and started to piss out coolant after the drive, easy fix which he is going to do apparently. So yeah will most likely be going up in the weekend to show my dad and see what he thinks, :D
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: b00stinz on July 17, 2013, 06:47:19 PM
Sometimes, if it isn't perfect, you should still just take the plunge and worry about the small and superficial issues later. It's very hard to find a nice tidy skyline/cef/laurel/silvia and if you find something that almost meets your expectations, just get it. I've always done that and haven't regretted it once.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: A31_25DET on July 17, 2013, 08:26:56 PM
Quote from: b00stinz;617762
Sometimes, if it isn't perfect, you should still just take the plunge and worry about the small and superficial issues later. It's very hard to find a nice tidy skyline/cef/laurel/silvia and if you find something that almost meets your expectations, just get it. I've always done that and haven't regretted it once.


good point man, i bought a 90% done project laurel coz most of the hard work had been done small stuff was easy, :)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 18, 2013, 01:10:19 AM
Yeah i think that's what im going to do, i have been waiting for the perfect laurel and i don't think its going to happen, ie, Mint as, 20DET, Cert etc. Whangarei is kinda limited to pre purchase checks, Can anyone recommend anything? I have heard AA and VTNZ are absolute crap so my options are next to none. These guys seem like my best bet, http://kellysauto.co.nz/Automotive+Repairs/Pre+Purchase+Vehicle+Inspections+-+Whangarei.html

Anyone know of any SDU members or any other people that know RB's haha, that live in Whangarei who could give the car a check for a cashie?
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Demco on July 18, 2013, 12:26:01 PM
Dont know if Whangarei has CIS but they were the best and didn't cost that much bout $100 if i remember right
http://carinspections.co.nz/
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on July 19, 2013, 08:50:41 PM
nzl - http://skylinesdownunder.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=67474
Just came up for sale.... not sure if you're strictly after a turbo or not, but it looks tidy :)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 20, 2013, 01:25:58 AM
Quote from: BADHAB|T;617924
nzl - http://skylinesdownunder.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=67474
Just came up for sale.... not sure if you're strictly after a turbo or not, but it looks tidy :)


Haha I swear this is the one I went too see on the Shore a while ago, tidy as. Guy was selling as he moving to Aus. Just really keen on a laurel aye. Parents wanting to get a AA check on the black one even though I told them about SDU members experiences, they seem to think the AA can't do wrong!! Haha.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on July 20, 2013, 12:18:49 PM
hahahahahahahaha do NOT get an AA inspection. Older people like parents may think they're the be all and end all because the AA have been with them all their motoring life (in the form of a plastic card saying they're a member and maybe an occasional jump start or flat tyre change).
They will literally tell you where cigarette burns are, where stone chips are etc. They will inspect the oil, if it's not golden coloured they will say it needs changing. Really REALLY basic bullsh|t like that. They do a "relative" compression test... which is utter crap.
You could pay a trusted mechanic 2 hours labour to go over the car with a fine tooth comb and come up with far more AND practical information about the car you're looking at.... for probably less money too!
:)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 21, 2013, 12:57:36 PM
:eek::D The dude has stopped being a total retard and started to get back to me! Touchwood. Now i just need to suss a good place to get an inspection done, i have emailed Mag and turbo too see if they can do a Pre purchase check and awaiting a response. I just have no trusted mechanic in Whangarei so I'm kind of stuck for choices lol. I thought about trying pit stop too?

:king:
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: b00stinz on July 21, 2013, 12:59:41 PM
Probably do pit stop rather than mag and tur-bros
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 23, 2013, 03:20:00 AM
Woo! Car is booked in for an inspection at pit stop on thursday! :D
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Tomy255 on July 23, 2013, 11:11:21 AM
Thought id help out a bit, the laurel auction has ended but if im correct is it the black factory one in whagna? If it is I was going to buy it a few months ago haha. It was auto when i looked at it and $5000 (ish) and then he got the manual swap done and bumped the price up stupidly. Hope im not rambling on about the wrong car lol but im pretty sure its a factory DET did you check the blue plate? Also if anyone wants to shed light on this for me, all R32 turbo models came with 5 stud and LSD right? was that the same for the factory C33/A31 turbos? dont recall seeing 5 stud on em :L
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 23, 2013, 11:52:52 AM
Quote from: Tomy255;618095
Thought id help out a bit, the laurel auction has ended but if im correct is it the black factory one in whagna? If it is I was going to buy it a few months ago haha. It was auto when i looked at it and $5000 (ish) and then he got the manual swap done and bumped the price up stupidly. Hope im not rambling on about the wrong car lol but im pretty sure its a factory DET did you check the blue plate? Also if anyone wants to shed light on this for me, all R32 turbo models came with 5 stud and LSD right? was that the same for the factory C33/A31 turbos? dont recall seeing 5 stud on em :L


Yeah Bro that's the one. Its been on trademe for ages. Kinda with I brought it when it was auto, but then again its one of the tidyist manual conversions I've seen. And nana its a factory 20DE he's put a 20DET in from a GTST supposedly.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Tomy255 on July 23, 2013, 12:12:50 PM
Oh true, swear he put on the auction that it was a factory turbo. Must have meant the engine is. Is that the one you're getting a pre purchase inspection for?
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 23, 2013, 02:21:38 PM
Quote from: Tomy255;618103
Oh true, swear he put on the auction that it was a factory turbo. Must have meant the engine is. Is that the one you're getting a pre purchase inspection for?


Yeah Bro
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: A31_25DET on July 23, 2013, 08:42:43 PM
Quote from: Tomy255;618095
Also if anyone wants to shed light on this for me, all R32 turbo models came with 5 stud and LSD right? was that the same for the factory C33/A31 turbos? dont recall seeing 5 stud on em :L


yea the Factory Turbo R32's all came 5 stud with LSD. The Factory Turbo C33s/A31s/S13s all came with the LSD as far as I am aware but they were only 4 stud, thats why its not imperative to upgrade brakes with certing a turbo motor in a non turbo C33/A31/S13
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 25, 2013, 04:48:09 PM
Got the report back today not too good,

(http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/testerf.jpg) (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/testerf.jpg.html)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: b00stinz on July 25, 2013, 05:06:16 PM
What an excellent report! Glad they seem to have had a good look over it.

Most of that stuff is easy fix. It doesn't seem that bad.
Drivers window might be a regulator
Brake rotors and pads can be done for a few hundred.
The power steering and other minor stuff can be a bit of a pain to fix but easily doable.
All of it will take time more than anything.

I'd be more worried about the compression issue as it could be numerous things causing it. Nothing said about the cooling system either.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on July 25, 2013, 05:10:54 PM
How did they do the compression test? If the plugs weren't removed, take it with a pinch of salt.
You can use that list to negotiate a lower price... or simply walk away if you're not happy with the report!
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Aubrey107 on July 25, 2013, 05:37:16 PM
Wow, that's one detailed report. Man, they checked everything! Might have to take my next car to pit stop :)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Aubrey107 on July 25, 2013, 05:38:06 PM
How much is the report, if you don't mind me asking.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Tomy255 on July 26, 2013, 01:04:35 PM
Quote from: BADHAB|T;618339
You can use that list to negotiate a lower price... or simply walk away if you're not happy with the report!


This.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: downtrail on July 26, 2013, 01:58:45 PM
judging from the compresssion test looks to be a +t to me not a factory det.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on July 26, 2013, 05:14:04 PM
Yeah I agree, I think im just going to walk away and wait for a a mint stock one or a fully certed one etc. The inspection was $120. Cheers to b00stinz for the suggestion!! If anyone knows of any mint C33's please let me know!!!
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Tomy255 on July 26, 2013, 05:21:56 PM
If you're luck you can get some complete stock ones but they are 99% of the time Diesel or RB20e auto. Soooo my suggestion is if you want a nice turbo one buy a stock one and do it up yourself, maybe even drive it as is until you get the funds. OR you can buy my cef I have for sale, would be the perfect +T candidate low kms Rb25?
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: A31_25DET on July 26, 2013, 06:33:43 PM
Quote from: Tomy255;618407
If you're luck you can get some complete stock ones but they are 99% of the time Diesel or RB20e auto. Soooo my suggestion is if you want a nice turbo one buy a stock one and do it up yourself, maybe even drive it as is until you get the funds. OR you can buy my cef I have for sale, would be the perfect +T candidate low kms Rb25?


it may be a little more expensive in the long run however at least that way you know exactly what is going into it and you can build it exactly how you like,

at least that is my plan anyway :)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Tomy255 on July 26, 2013, 08:02:21 PM
Quote from: A31_25DET;618414
it may be a little more expensive in the long run however at least that way you know exactly what is going into it and you can build it exactly how you like,

at least that is my plan anyway :)


Built not bought right :dude
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on September 09, 2013, 03:40:51 AM
Got a stock as laurel Today, Pictures to come :D:D
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: b00stinz on September 09, 2013, 11:35:55 AM
Congrats!
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Aubrey107 on September 09, 2013, 06:48:15 PM
Nice one! Gotta chuck up some pics !
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on September 09, 2013, 06:54:15 PM
Hurry up with those pics... you've had all day and we're all waiting :D
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Tomy255 on September 09, 2013, 09:06:19 PM
You can't tease us saying you've actually managed to find a stock C33 and not show us! :P
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: A31_25DET on September 10, 2013, 12:43:09 PM
Quote from: Tomy255;618426
Built not bought right :dude


you got it man :D

that is a rare find a stock C33, auto and diesel I take it? :)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Tomy255 on September 10, 2013, 12:50:32 PM
Quote from: A31_25DET;620292
that is a rare find a stock C33, auto and diesel I take it? :)


My guess aswell! or 20e if he's lucky. However I did see a factory 20det C33 on trademe about a month ago for $2500. I don't think he really knew what he had, it sold in a few hours :mad:
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Aubrey107 on September 10, 2013, 04:17:52 PM
Quote from: Tomy255;620293
My guess aswell! or 20e if he's lucky. However I did see a factory 20det C33 on trademe about a month ago for $2500. I don't think he really knew what he had, it sold in a few hours :mad:


Saw a factory 20e factory manual C33 on trademe. I think its still on trademe but cant view it because of my uni blocking trademe till 6 -_-
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: A31_25DET on September 10, 2013, 04:38:19 PM
yea its still there, dropkick has it as a 6K reserve and a 7K buy now lol

for that money you can buy a certed/wof'd/reg'd 20det (or 25det if your lucky) A31 / C33
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Tomy255 on September 10, 2013, 04:43:33 PM
Quote from: A31_25DET;620304
yea its still there, dropkick has it as a 6K reserve and a 7K buy now lol

for that money you can buy a certed/wof'd/reg'd 20det (or 25det if your lucky) A31 / C33


Fuar thats extremely pricey for a 20e. A fairly stock auto one with a manual conversion still wouldnt even cost half of that. Just found this one, buuuut sold :L

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/nissan/laurel/auction-635205192.htm
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Tomy255 on September 10, 2013, 04:44:27 PM
Actually maybe OP bought that one!
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: A31_25DET on September 10, 2013, 05:33:04 PM
Quote from: Tomy255;620306
Actually maybe OP bought that one!


that is a great grab if it is that one he's got. loving the double din stereo too haha

come on man where are these pics at?? :D
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on September 10, 2013, 06:56:50 PM
Hi Guys sorry about the wait, Here are the pics not the best but you get the idea :D Managed to Nab it for 2.4, With a 20e, 190000k's and hardly been stuffed with.

(http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/20130910_1553111.jpg) (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/20130910_1553111.jpg.html)
(http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/20130910_1554041.jpg) (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/20130910_1554041.jpg.html)
(http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/20130910_1553421.jpg) (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/20130910_1553421.jpg.html)
(http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/20130910_1553231.jpg) (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/20130910_1553231.jpg.html)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on September 10, 2013, 07:15:13 PM
Looks tidy
Nice score :D
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: A31_25DET on September 10, 2013, 07:17:08 PM
nice mate. Auto/Manual??
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on September 10, 2013, 08:42:48 PM
Auto, only had 3 owners :) had paperwork from 2005 so pretty stoaked.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: A31_25DET on September 10, 2013, 09:08:39 PM
oh nice, so what are the plans?? :D
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on September 10, 2013, 09:32:08 PM
Osaka 20DET :D My parents said they would pay half of the conversion so they went and spoke to Joe kyle about the conversion they had great things to say about him!!
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on September 11, 2013, 06:33:24 AM
Anyone know of any body who does a reasonably priced cut and polish service? I think the paint would come up alot better...
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on September 11, 2013, 11:59:03 AM
Quote from: nzl;620340
Anyone know of any body who does a reasonably priced cut and polish service? I think the paint would come up alot better...


You!
;)

It's far more satisfying to do it yourself over paying someone to do it
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Demon on September 11, 2013, 07:09:52 PM
Nice score man! Id definatly go for a 25DET over a 20DET tho!
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: A31_25DET on September 11, 2013, 10:20:07 PM
Quote from: Demon;620382
Nice score man! Id definatly go for a 25DET over a 20DET tho!


maybe for a second car :D from the sounds of it first RWD car, i did plenty of stupid **** with my 20det as a youngen lol

IMO 20det is a good way to get your head around what happens with a bit of power.
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on September 11, 2013, 10:41:25 PM
Quote from: A31_25DET;620396
maybe for a second car :D from the sounds of it first RWD car, i did plenty of stupid **** with my 20det as a youngen lol

IMO 20det is a good way to get your head around what happens with a bit of power.


Yeah that's what i was thinking :licklips: Dont want something to powerful as pussy as that sounds :eek:
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: NFMOUS_R33 on September 11, 2013, 11:08:18 PM
Hmm my r32 4stud but has 20det on firewall, think it was originally auto tho
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on September 11, 2013, 11:20:16 PM
Quote from: NFMOUS_R33;620401
Hmm my r32 4stud but has 20det on firewall

4 door I assume?
The non Type M GTS-t got 4 stud hubs (4 door only)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: A31_25DET on September 12, 2013, 07:48:21 PM
Quote from: BADHAB|T;620404
4 door I assume?
The non Type M GTS-t got 4 stud hubs (4 door only)


Learn something everyday - were they the very first of the R32?
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: BADHAB|T on September 12, 2013, 08:22:47 PM
Quote from: A31_25DET;620432
Learn something everyday - were they the very first of the R32?

If you're asking was that the "birth" of the more well know M Spec R32... nope. They were just a de-specced version of the GTS-t (probably the "poor mans" GTS-t when they were new).
Just done a bit of homework, I'm not 100% sure the non Type M got 4 stud hubs. Definitely got smaller brakes and 15" alloys though
So as far as NFMOUS's car goes... I have no idea lol
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: 4ever_sideways on September 12, 2013, 08:29:42 PM
They definitely still had 5 stud (my mate has had 3 of these "poor mans gts-t sedans"), just smaller brakes and wheels. I bet some cu*t has pinched them for another car before you got it
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: b00stinz on September 12, 2013, 08:31:10 PM
As far as I knew, only the A31 cefs came with factory turbo engine but 4 stud. All GTST came with 5 stud?

The GTST did have different size rotors though in terms of diameter and original thickness between models.

Either as 4ever said, someone swapped to 4 stud, or maybe the blue build plate has been re-done to say 20DET

Just write down your chassis number and google it, there is a guide on what each letter and number means. Also can be done with nissan FAST
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on September 13, 2013, 02:35:08 AM
In other sad news, 3 off my best mates car's have been written off :( And not one was there fault. Hopefully i can score some cheap bits lol.



Some dick head was pulling u turn of a pitch black blind corner.
(http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/danielc33.jpg) (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/danielc33.jpg.html)

Some crazy woman in Glen eden, while he was parked up at a stop sign some lady in a Jeep under steered the corner over the island the straight into the 32, was one of the more cleaner ones out there too.
(http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/jamie32.jpg) (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/jamie32.jpg.html)

Then too top it off my mates Ceff got rear ended, And the driver made a runner leaving his own car at the scene lol.
(http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/michaelsa31.jpg) (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/michaelsa31.jpg.html)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Tomy255 on September 13, 2013, 01:17:32 PM
Quote from: b00stinz;620438
As far as I knew, only the A31 cefs came with factory turbo engine but 4 stud. All GTST came with 5 stud?

The GTST did have different size rotors though in terms of diameter and original thickness between models.

Either as 4ever said, someone swapped to 4 stud, or maybe the blue build plate has been re-done to say 20DET

Just write down your chassis number and google it, there is a guide on what each letter and number means. Also can be done with nissan FAST


Pretty sure you're right, all GTST's came with 5 stud. Have seen some 5 stud rims that look identicle to GTS ones but they are 15" and dont clear the big brakes on the M-Spec. Heres a pic of them, pretty sure they are legit Nissan

(http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/full/282671137.jpg)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: gte on September 17, 2013, 04:45:45 PM
Those pics are heart breaking
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on October 03, 2013, 03:53:01 AM
Quick update went and saw Joe Kyle and figured exactly what i'd need to complete the conversion, hopefully will be booking it in, in the next couple of weeks. On another my car has spent a fair amount of time been driven on gravel roads, so i thought a underbody steam clean may be good? Anyone know of any places that do this? I thought about getting a water blaster attachment and just shoving it under there and hope for the best but im not sure if it would be worth it...
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on October 04, 2013, 10:55:10 PM
Clean Laurry!

(http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/IMG_00211.jpg) (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/IMG_00211.jpg.html)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: b00stinz on October 05, 2013, 11:17:27 AM
Nice man, looks really tidy :)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: downtrail on October 05, 2013, 08:33:06 PM
Quote from: nzl;621068
Quick update went and saw Joe Kyle and figured exactly what i'd need to complete the conversion, hopefully will be booking it in, in the next couple of weeks. On another my car has spent a fair amount of time been driven on gravel roads, so i thought a underbody steam clean may be good? Anyone know of any places that do this? I thought about getting a water blaster attachment and just shoving it under there and hope for the best but im not sure if it would be worth it...


U wash papakura. We service there touch free car wash Has a sweet under body wash 300psi of water! just drive over it slowley so it car get in everywhere. And you'll also find out if your car has any leaks too! haha

Go see kirit (if hes there) tell him Russell From ECL-Group sent ya he might hook ya up!
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on October 11, 2013, 11:16:47 PM
Quote from: downtrail;621168
U wash papakura. We service there touch free car wash Has a sweet under body wash 300psi of water! just drive over it slowley so it car get in everywhere. And you'll also find out if your car has any leaks too! haha

Go see kirit (if hes there) tell him Russell From ECL-Group sent ya he might hook ya up!

Cheers bro.

In other news fan belt snapped and got a free tow home haha, looking back at it i woulda just shoe laced it as i plan on getting rid of the 20E anyway, but the AA Guy was not keen at all on that idea haha. So the 20DET Conversion will be getting under way very soon.

(http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/IMG_00391.jpg) (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/IMG_00391.jpg.html)
(http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/IMG_00471.jpg) (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/IMG_00471.jpg.html)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Mantis on October 13, 2013, 02:18:22 AM
Quote from: nzl;621139
Clean Laurry!

(http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx203/r71n/IMG_00211.jpg) (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/r71n/media/IMG_00211.jpg.html)

Not bad, kinda looks like mine, dead stock. Unff.

(http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/1750/j9k4.jpg)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: Tomy255 on October 13, 2013, 09:10:47 AM
You guys need to stop hiding clean C33's and sell one to me ;)
Title: Thoughts on this C33
Post by: nzl on October 23, 2013, 05:32:05 PM
Boom, replaced the spark plugs and it runs soooo much better now! Stoaked as.