Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: R33 q's  (Read 1564 times)

Ant

R33 q's
« on: April 04, 2002, 06:29:26 AM »
Well, my quest for a Skyline to replace the aging Pulsar has finished with the purchase of a very tidy 95 R33 GTS25. Bought just in time to avoid the cut-off with the new laws!

A few q's for the experts:
- Spec 2 engine: Apparently is different to Spec 1? Mine is a spec 1 body, but apparently the Spec 1 engine has a box at the back of the rocker cover on top, and the Spec 2 doesn't. Mine doesn't, and there seems to be some unused mounting lugs here. Does that mean I've got a Spec 2 engine?

- Boxes in the boot: On the RHS under the parcel shelf there are 2 metal boxes, one above the other. One must be the HICAS control unit (mine has HICAS), the second is?????

- Mag wheel lock nuts: Car came ex-Japan with aftermarket wheels and has lock nuts. But no sign of the key thingys for them. Any ideas how the heck to get them off?

- Front bumper lights (Spec 1 [facelift?] bumper): Next to the indicators there is a clear section which looks like it is supposed to be a light (driving lights?). But mine doesn't light up. Is this an optional driving light?

- Rear window washer: Doesn't work! Pump works but no water comes out. Probably a blocked pipe or something - anybody know where this pipe is? Couldn't find it in the boot area under the parcel shelf?

Cheers for any help!

GraemeWi

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.overflow.250x.com
Re: R33 q's
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2002, 10:24:38 AM »
___snip____
- Boxes in the boot: On the RHS under the parcel shelf there are 2 metal boxes, one above the other. One must be the HICAS control unit (mine has HICAS), the second is?????
___snip____

An amp for the rear speakers

___snip____
- Mag wheel lock nuts: Car came ex-Japan with aftermarket wheels and has lock nuts. But no sign of the key thingys for them. Any ideas how the heck to get them off?
___snip____

Get a big socket from Kmart or Repco that will nearly fit over the lock nut. Hammer it on and remove locknut, or a bit of delicate work with an angle grinder to cut at least two sides into the locknot so you can put a big spanner and a pipe on it. Not a process for the perfectionist! ;)

___snip____
- Front bumper lights (Spec 1 [facelift?] bumper): Next to the indicators there is a clear section which looks like it is supposed to be a light (driving lights?). But mine doesn't light up. Is this an optional driving light?
___snip____

They are empty - some members have relocated their indicators to these "lights".

___snip____
- Rear window washer: Doesn't work! Pump works but no water comes out. Probably a blocked pipe or something - anybody know where this pipe is? Couldn't find it in the boot area under the parcel shelf?
___snip____

The pipe goes up the passenger side of the car, if you pull the kickplate off the passenger door step you will see it under there. It connects to the same windscreen washer tank / pump as the front.

Hope this is of some help, and good choice of car :-)

Nemesis

R33 q's
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2002, 10:45:32 AM »
Answer to the first question is most likely yes.

Ant:skulls:

Dulp,  guess I should read a little more carefully then huh???
« Last Edit: April 04, 2002, 10:32:30 PM by Nemesis »

stainNZ

R33 q's
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2002, 01:10:19 PM »
Originally posted by Nemesis
Answer to the first question is most likely yes, but the turbo may still be ceramic.

Ant:skulls:

Ant(ant being Nemesis), scuse me if im wrong but his thing says R33 GTS25 :P

Rem33

R33 q's
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2002, 02:06:27 PM »
What colour? How about some pics?
Excellent choice!

tockogts

R33 q's
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2002, 04:00:12 PM »
hey dude do you mind if i ask how much did u get it for? (non turbo)

Ant

Thanks!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2002, 12:58:18 AM »
Cheers everyone for the responses!

Re colour - it's Burgundy like a.... like a.... like a burgundy thing...! The 'Super Fine Hard Coat' colour (whatever that means).

Re engine - yup, it's a non-T:D . Apart from the box (coil unit for spark plugs?) what is the difference between a spec 1 and 2 engine? From japimport.com the spec 2 has the same torque figure but 7 more kw's?

Re amp - which box is the amp? The top one is larger than the other and has rounded corners, the lower is smaller and squared off. Does that amp take speaker level inputs from the head unit? Anybody know what the rating of the amp is?

Re pics/price - see attached (if it works!).

Ant

I'll try that again....
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2002, 01:00:01 AM »
Oops!

moondog

Re: R33 q's
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2002, 11:46:40 AM »
Originally posted by Ant
A few q's for the experts:
- Spec 2 engine: Apparently is different to Spec 1? Mine is a spec 1 body, but apparently the Spec 1 engine has a box at the back of the rocker cover on top, and the Spec 2 doesn't. Mine doesn't, and there seems to be some unused mounting lugs here. Does that mean I've got a Spec 2 engine?

kind of. :confused: It seems it wasn't a straightforward cut-off; spec 1 -> spec 2. There was a period in the middle there where cars seem to have bits and pieces. Series 1 cars with aspects of the series 2 engine, but not all the little things, seem to be the most common.  I've even seen a car with spec 2 everything except it had a spec 1 dash :confused: . I think Mr. Nissan just had a bunch of parts lying around, and mixed and matched them. :)