Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Hi..buying used GTST...  (Read 2301 times)

impos3

Hi..buying used GTST...
« on: April 06, 2002, 03:09:29 AM »
I have 10k to buy a R32 Skyline, i want a turbo be it GTST or GTS4T i dont mind. All the cars i have seen that i can afford have 100ks or over. Is that old ? am i going to be paying more than the cars worth to keep it running. I want to mod it so i dont want to be paying for repairs all the time.

Who here has a r32 with tripple figure k's and are you having problems ?

I cant wait till i get it :D

impos3

Hi..buying used GTST...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2002, 03:38:14 AM »
I have done a search on this topic and nothing much came up...

UR2FAT

Hi..buying used GTST...
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2002, 03:53:48 AM »
I think most R32's should have over 100,000 k's simply because of their age, but most cars if kept in good condition will go yo 200,000+ without many troubles, as long as every thing that needs replacing is replaced etc.
My old's little car is 1989 and has done 140,000 odd k's and they havent had any troubles at all. My BMW has done 230,000+ k's the only real problem is the electrics and ignition that plays up occasionally, but once that gets fixed it would still be mint. I know these arent Skylines but cars dont crap out after 100,000 k's. So that shouldnt be a problem. As long as cars are regulary serviced they will keep going for a long while.

Also with $10k you should get a pretty decent GTS-t for that.
Hope this helps.:king:

impos3

Hi..buying used GTST...
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2002, 04:13:45 AM »
Cool. Now i just have to find one that isnt thrashed.

SlowGTS-t

Hi..buying used GTST...
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2002, 04:47:37 AM »
Mine's done 136000kms and still going strong .
Er.. do a compression test, check all the bushes, check turbo for smoke er.. anything else? Most likely thing that will sting you will be coil packs, afm and oh yeah, do the cambelt as soon as you buy the car.

UR2FAT

Hi..buying used GTST...
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2002, 04:59:01 AM »
...and the timing belt? Or am I a dumbass and they are the same thing? Might be a good idea just to put in new spark plugs aswell. Also reset the ECU which make a huge difference, so Im told. To do that, disconect the battery then jump in the car and pump the brake pedal utill all the juice is out then re-connect the battery then go for a blat around some quiet roads.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2002, 05:01:21 AM by UR2FAT »

space drift0r

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bodyboards.co.nz
Hi..buying used GTST...
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2002, 05:37:49 AM »
Keep youe eye out.

If you are willing to wait and look hard there are low k ones around. I bought my R32 six months ago with a genuine 24000 ks on it. It had a crap load of recipts from Japan etc. The leather on the steering wheel and around the handbrake are like new.
Took me a year of looking tho:)

impos3

Hi..buying used GTST...
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2002, 05:56:24 AM »
Originally posted by space drift0r
Keep youe eye out.

If you are willing to wait and look hard there are low k ones around. I bought my R32 six months ago with a genuine 24000 ks on it. It had a crap load of recipts from Japan etc. The leather on the steering wheel and around the handbrake are like new.
Took me a year of looking tho:)

Yeh but for 10k ? I dont think 10k will buy me a GTST with super low K's, Can you make the GTST4 into a RWD easily?

sgt.seb

Hi..buying used GTST...
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2002, 06:26:04 AM »
heres what i foudn when i was looking for one last october:

- manuals are at least 2-3 grand more so if youre looking at one of them be prepared to pay more

- privately you can get much better deals then through dealers (and there are alot of dodgy dealers around)  i bought mine for 6500 off a 36 year old school teacher, 87000ks, non modded absoultely mint condition.  except it was auto!  

- when i was looking through dealers, the cheapest manual i could find was 11k and it wasnt in that good nick, although it had some nice mods, exhaust and kit

- i think it would be near impsosible to find an unthrashed manual unless you spend alot of time looking :/  an r33 would be easier but they are more expensive and you dont want one do you? :)

- there are still qutie a few around with less then 100ks, but i wouldnt worry too much if they are over plus they should have had the cam belt changed, save yourself some money there

my 2 cents

PS: sorry for all the stuff about manual but until today (WOOHOO GO THE MANUAL) i drove an auto as it seems most skylines are auto - cost to convert around 2-2500 in akl

UR2FAT

Hi..buying used GTST...
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2002, 06:45:31 AM »
Originally posted by sgt.seb
heres what i foudn when i was looking for one last october:

- manuals are at least 2-3 grand more so if youre looking at one of them be prepared to pay more

PS: sorry for all the stuff about manual but until today (WOOHOO GO THE MANUAL) i drove an auto as it seems most skylines are auto - cost to convert around 2-2500 in akl

So therefore wouldnt it be cheaper to buy a cheaper auto then get it converted. :confused:
Thats what Im planning to do, there are some GTS-ts advertised in the LOOT magazine for like $6500 with 120,000km's but auto.

impos3

Hi..buying used GTST...
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2002, 07:11:56 AM »
R32's are the best looking Skylines :D
I can do any repair myself so it should be okay, im just not going to be able to pay for any expensive parts.

impos3

Hi..buying used GTST...
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2002, 07:13:49 AM »
Anyone here wanting to sell they're black GTS t or GTSt4 for 10K?

sgt.seb

Hi..buying used GTST...
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2002, 08:10:06 AM »
ur2fat: yes you are right thats exactly what i did,

car: 6500
total cost of conversion: 2350
car now worth: 8850

if you can find a gts-t manual for 8850 which is in as good condition as mine, ill eat my hat :)

M SPEC90

Hi..buying used GTST...
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2002, 08:27:46 AM »
So you want a black r32 GTST mspec with under 100ks on the clock?
Might be selling mine soon!
73Ks,  Full MOMOcorse exhaust and some miner engine mods.
service history etc
make an offer!!!:D
 ps.   2yr+ warranty

impos3

Hi..buying used GTST...
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2002, 08:36:21 AM »
Originally posted by sgt.seb
ur2fat: yes you are right thats exactly what i did,

car: 6500
total cost of conversion: 2350
car now worth: 8850

if you can find a gts-t manual for 8850 which is in as good condition as mine, ill eat my hat :)

I only have 10k to spend. Ill give you 10k !