Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Short (Quick) shifter for R32 GTST  (Read 648 times)

ph1

Short (Quick) shifter for R32 GTST
« on: June 09, 2001, 09:59:07 PM »
R U NUTS  
(2/12/01 1:19:28 pm)
Reply  Short (Quick) shifter for R32 GTST
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 anyone could help me with this ? i'd very much appreciate it if you guys could tell me anyone who sells this product around auckland, especially north shore. or maybe any of you guys know someone that wanna sell 2nd hand one ?

thx guys  

PS :
Thank God this time i came home with the gear-box still in one piece  (not like last time)

S1L80  
(2/13/01 5:32:21 pm)
Reply  Re: Short (Quick) shifter for R32 GTST
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 My friend got one in his car (180sx) when he did his manual conversion. I talked to some engineers and they think welding in a peice here and slapping in a plate there should be plently strong enough. Send a reply if ur still interested.

EVL BUNNY
(2/13/01 7:27:00 pm)
 hmmmm for r32 i think c's do one? talk to peter.
z speed was just a thought but i think there just for hondas?

EVL BUNNY

R U NUTS  
(2/13/01 11:12:41 pm)
 S1l80, yes i am interested bud  more details plsssss  

BUNNY, yeah im gonna go see hoppy tomoro. hope he could do a good deal for me  

S1L80  
(2/14/01 10:18:59 am)
 If you yank out the gear stick ( after removing the C-clip etc) you will want to extend the portion of the shaft below the ball socket. You will also need a plate made up to lift the ball socket housing up but the same amount that the shaft is extended. This plate can be made using the gasket as a template.

The more you extend this shaft the shorter the shift will be. You might also want to shorten the stick above the balljoint while ur there too.

Gavin@ AL's mufflers said this is easy to do, you just need some shiny steel for the extension piece.

I'll be at the nissan silvia drag day on the 24th if u want to discuss it further  

Arithon  
SDU Admininstrator
(2/14/01 11:03:42 am)
  Re: Short (Quick) shifter for R32 GTST
 What benefits are there from lengthening the part of the shift under the balljoint?

Isnt shortening the bit above the joint what we want?

Arithon

crooser
(2/14/01 12:03:56 pm)
 A

maybe to make the throw beneath the pivot point longer...
which makes stick move shorter?

i'm just guessin'  

crooser

S1L80  
(2/14/01 4:48:39 pm)
 Ya, it changes the lever point so even if it is the same length above the ball it doesn't have to be moved as far to change the gears.

/
/ err I give up, can't draw it in ASCII  It lessens
0 the arc (is that th right term?) of the movement
/

R U NUTS  
(2/14/01 10:28:53 pm)
 s1l80, thx for the info bud. i might gonna visit al's muffler tomoro.  
so u reckon gavin could make 1 up 4 me ay ?? this sounds good, coz C's short shifter kit is $700 and nismo $800, both +gst. Price from Hopkins. Yesss, very xpensiveee  

Arithon  
SDU Admininstrator
(2/15/01 6:29:23 am)
 Yeah but isn't that just going to make it even harder to shift?

I routinely shift from halfway down the gearstick and to me, I wouldnt want it to be any more work than that.

It would be a wierd feelings thats for sure.

Arithon

BABY R
(2/15/01 8:05:41 am)
 Hey, Rudy, i got a NISMO quick shift kit in my car, and i still have got the instructions on how to install that kit. In the instruction, there is a picture comparing the factory shift stick to the NISMO quick shift stick, and the drawing is in scale. Maybe it will help you or anyone out there who wishes to modify their original shift sticks. Just give me a yell if any of you needs it!

Arithon  
SDU Admininstrator
(2/15/01 8:16:47 am)
 Scan and post dude.

Arithon

BABY R
(2/15/01 9:03:40 am)
  Comparison NISMO Quick Shift VS Factory Shift

I think besides the strenghten up of the stick itself, the only difference between a factory and a quick shift is the location of the ball posistion, which alters the "pivot" point of the shift.

Arithon  
SDU Admininstrator
(2/15/01 9:22:07 am)
  Re: Comparison NISMO Quick Shift VS Factory Shift
 Ok, so in effect, the action of the lever is being reduced.

But how about getting the stick itself shorter????

Arithon

BABY R
(2/15/01 9:36:12 am)
 I don't think the length of the stick varies. Arithon you saw my shift and you mentioned it was shorter than yours, but could it be the type of knob (I mean gear knob) that is different so mine appears to be shorter?

R U NUTS  
(2/15/01 9:37:33 am)
Reply  Re: Comparison NISMO Quick Shift VS Factory Shift
 andy,

geee man, im very very much appreciate for da pic bro.  
so, if we managed to modify our std one and make the pivot ball adjustable somehow, it would be even betta rite ? we could adjust it to woteva throw we want. hmmm cooll. but the thing is, is it dat safe to cut the std one n modify it n weld it back again ?????? now it's bothering mee  

anyone any comments ??

BABY R
(2/15/01 10:20:35 am)
 It does sounds a bit doggy isn't it rudy? But im sure if you get a bloody good welder to do the job right, it would be alright....or else...imagine the ball joint snaps during a hard shift and fall inside the tranny....ouch!! that would make a hell of a nice GRINDING sound wouldn't it....

Ask around and its best to find out what kind of force the shifter withstands before carry out any modifications... and i do believe modifying the gear shift needs to be certified??? Anyone?? comments??

R U NUTS  
(2/15/01 10:26:58 am)
 oohhh noo, so much for nice cheap solution. heheheheh

S1L80  
(2/15/01 11:22:16 am)
 Like u said, as long as you get the right welder and materials you'll be ok. I know one of the guys from hondata did this and he hasn't had any problems with it.

Err BABYR, have you studied Engineering at Auckland before?

R U NUTS  
(2/15/01 11:42:12 am)
 ok. so i might get away with this one.  
u guys reckon al's muffler would be able to carry out such task like this ? or anyone has any recommendations on where it should be done ? how bout engineering place ?
cheers guyss  

S1L80  
(2/15/01 2:50:49 pm)
 I just asked Gavin @ Al's Mufflers because I was there when I tough of it. An engineering shop is probably more likely to have the correct materials for the job. Let me know how you get on.

R U NUTS  
(2/15/01 4:17:34 pm)
 will do bud. i know an engineering place where peter hopkins usually get his done and another good one in barys pt rd dat usually do V8 stuffs. i'll inform u guys later. but i need to get a copy off andy first for da pic, i cant print it, my printer stuffed up  

BABY R
(2/15/01 10:43:39 pm)
 Rudy i will bring it to u tommorow...!

hey whats ur icq number man?

R U NUTS  
(2/15/01 11:09:58 pm)
 i think u got it already man (my icq no)  
cheers buddy