Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: R31 GTS-X specifications?  (Read 1367 times)

Young GTR

R31 GTS-X specifications?
« on: May 09, 2002, 04:46:05 PM »
Is it really that hard to find them online or am I not looking in the right areas?

Anyone have the info?

żżżżżż31

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2002, 05:08:22 PM »
WHat do you want to know about them???

Tell me specically and i might be able tohelp you out there

Young GTR

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2002, 02:42:55 AM »
I am after a list of the specs that go into detail about the engine, the interior, the electrics and options etc.

The engine must only pump out between 135-140kw by the sounds of it.  Thought it would be a bit more.  Not as fast as a VL turbo then?

TurboRB20

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2002, 04:40:50 AM »
The early GTS-x comes with a NICS version RB20-det which is a piece of ****. Pumps out about 142 kw's max. but feels even slower than that. The GTS-X to look for is post 87. It has ECCS rb20det which makes about 157kw's but they feel bout the same as a r32 rb20det. They r very similar, but the engine management is different . with a few mods these will chop chop a r32.

Young GTR

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2002, 08:12:44 AM »
I am looking at buying one.  It has the nics engine and according to the guy who looked at it for me, it has a very good pick up, better than my father's 98 Magna Sports (140kw) so it can't be as bad as you say Turbo RB20.  It's in excellernt condition and I am getting out of an aussie R31 at 114 kw, so the power is nice to look forward to.  Besides, with a pod, bov, exhaust, and t/timer to look after the turbo, it should have plenty of go in it for a while.  If I were to get more power down the track, would I be better off keeping the nics engine and bigger turbo or do you recommend the RB25 or R32's Rb20det?

SKYPSI

Long R31 Info post
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2002, 08:55:00 PM »
Sorry, very long post.   :rolleyes: :D
Base model interior is very good quality , some others i've seen have only just started to show signs of wear, still quite comfy. So you should be able to tell if its been looked after or not. Standard stereo, if still there is junk. It is a tape player with a radio stacked on top. Radio is in jap spec so its a frequency guessing game , as the band only goes to 90 something on FM, you can work it out though. I can usually get nearly all main Sydney channels up to 2 hours drive from the city.
Some also have a (hi-tech for the time) six stack cassette Cartridge (just like a cd stacker but bigger. :rolleyes: ) this is located in the center console. The stereo controls for this type is between there and the gear shift.
                Most or all of these are standard items:
   Power windows, mirrors,electric arial, power steering and air con(which will probably need regassing). I believe the GTS-X also has adjustable air cushions in the driver and passenger seats in the sides, base and back sections. Also has HICAS 4wheel steering. The car should also have the auto spoiler under the front bar. This can be controlled by you, or on auto it will come down at 60kmh and only go back up when the brake is used under 60kmh. Adjustable shocks : soft, medium and hard settings .  I've heard of problems with the adjustable shocks, something to keep in mind if your not going to ditch them for a better handling setup. When headlights are on and you indicate, there is a second light in the parker that spots out at a 45 degree angle from the front corners. I'd say it is for help with dark corners, but also comes in handy when looking for street numbers :D
If anyone can confirm which cars have which of these above features it would be what YoungGTR needs.

Enginewise:
Apart from the disadvantages when compared with the silver ECCS motor, the red NICS motor has seemed to serve me pretty well... allthough it was an absolute pig standard. My car was auto when purchased and on 7psi(stock)it got a measly 88 kw at the wheels, quite a nugget but ok . While organising everything for the manual I tried more boost (12psi) but there was no great result.  Then cat back exhaust... only a very slight increase. Added to that the only time I had decent power was from 2500rpm to 5500rpm at most, after which it would run out of puff. I felt that even if i had of done the dump pipe on the standard turbo it wouldn't have done much more, as the rear housing is too small.
 So, I came accross a T3/T4.... BIG difference. With only a cat back and 13-14psi boost it produced 132 rwkw. :D   With this setup boost starts at around 4000rpm and is at full boost by about 4500rpm and goes all the way to 7000rpm. This gave more than 30% power gain, and more to come with tuning. The only problem so far is that it runs fairly lean. This is the next thing to address.  I suppose you could get a chip or piggypack computer to sort the tuning out.
      Engine has lasted well and is still going strong. My opinion is if you dont want to go crazy with mods, the NICS engined skylines aren't too bad a car performance wise. Compared to An RB25DET conversion, its much cheaper. The RB25 would end up more with power after some mods though that is to be expected. I am yet to fix the problem so i cant give an exact solution or total price figure on everything, but if Young GTR or anyone else wants to know, PM me and when i get it all done i'll let you know what all the work has roughly cost.. It doesn't get driven at the moment anyway so no danger from the leaning out.                                        MMM :headbutt:                                    
    If any one knows about locating parts or other things for the R31 GTS-X  it would help me, and would be good for you Young GTR, seeing as though you're looking at buying one. :)
 These are my experiences so others opinions will  probably will differ.
:headbutt: :laugh:          If anyone can correct me or confirm this it would be apprieciated.  
  Thanks
    SKYPSI

Young GTR

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2002, 06:37:35 AM »
Thanks SKYPSI,
Yeah, this one I am looking at has done 54,000kms and is in excellent condition throughout.  Would probably believe the km reading from the pics and what my mate said who looked at the car for me (as it's in a different state)

It doesn't have a front or rear spoiler and I asked about that, but would the guy be right in saying that only the GTS-R came standard with it?  It may have been an option?

I will be using my Sony CD player with 6" and 6"x9" speakers.

The power will be enough for me for a while, but I think I will opt for a bigger turbo down the track like you SKYPSI.  Would love to know the cost of those mods to give me a rough idea.

TurboRB20

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2002, 08:41:05 AM »
Its your call but expect low 16's from it. Have seen some down at the drags with nics motors.

saying this my rb30 skyline 118kw managed a 15.6 at motorplex so the power up may actually be a power down.

SKYPSI

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2002, 01:20:48 PM »
Young GTR,
 I dont believe that only the GTS-R came with auto front bar as mine and two others that i know of have them (one is a completely stock GTS-X)
 As you said it might have been an option, so if that is the case it could be that the ones i have seen have been optioned up.
 And yes I agree with Turbo RB20....... it is a 'power down trade off' as i used to own a white series 1 R31 GTS, 4 door, no. 127 if it matters.
 This car was much more powerfull than the GTS coupe i have now when standard.
Although if you can afford it, the newer ECCS engine would be a better bet. One reason behind this is the inlet design NICS has 12 port inlet as ECCS has 6 port inlet. I cant explain why 6 is better than 12 i think is something to do with flow.??
 All that said, if you can get one with 55000km on it, take it as long as it is in good nick. When i purchased mine it had 115000km
and now has around 135000km and still good.

Here is a rough price list of money spent on performance so far,
$700 for exhaust
$1500 for Turbo (expect up to $2000 for a good one with warranty
$50 or so to modify water feed banjos from 16mm to 18mm
$150 fuel regulator with fuel pressure guage
Anyway thats my 2c

Mic 80

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2002, 02:32:59 PM »
Sorry to but in here Young GTR,

SKYPSI what zorst have you got on your car???
I got told 1500 for a full 3" mandrel system from turbo & thats with my cat & Muffler, mind you it is with a dump pipe?

Young GTR it is a option for the front/rear wings on the GST-X's mine has it on it both front & rear but my front spliter is all smashed the fiber glass has fallen off:(

The ECCS is port matched to the head so it flowes a little better + I had the head off mine last year & the ports in the manifold are fu*king massive!!!!!!

A word of caution make sure that the turbo water feed pipes are clean & free flowing as mine were blocked & that was the cause of the head gasket blowing on mine, any way I go by this rule of thumb when I got my car the first thing I did was changed the coolant, oil & filter, fuel filter auto trans filter & oil & the diff oil just so I had peace of mind that I knew it was all ok, lol little did I know that the turbo was blocked:splat:

SKYPSI

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2002, 06:55:02 PM »
Thank's for clearing that up MIC 80, I was hoping someone would explain that properly.    :D:
 Sorry:(  , i didn't explain what my $700 got me: 3inch mandrel bent mild steel cat-back item with stock converter. The muffler was $200, so $500 for cat-back. The reason i didn't get it from the turbo was they couldn't do dump pipes. So the guys doing it now are doing a cast iron dump pipe, mild steel front pipe and high flow cat for $800.  So it kinda breaks even unless your quote was for stainless. :)

Young GTR

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2002, 03:19:10 AM »
well you guys have put me off buying the GTS-X :)

I think I will really be thanking you down the track as I want to get more power for more money and 4 times insurance I am paying now.