Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: R33 Remap or Apexi SAFC?  (Read 1788 times)

25GTT

R33 Remap or Apexi SAFC?
« on: May 11, 2002, 04:06:52 AM »
OK so help me on this one ANYONE!!??

I have been quoted $1100 to get my R33 computer remapped. basically because the R33 ecu can't be remapped, they take the chip out, replace it with a different one, hook it up to a laptop on the dyno and go at it from there! Does that price seem high or OK to you?

Would you rather an Apexi SAFC?? apparently in remapping you can get everything exact but the words from the guy that wants to do this (who is a trusted name in perth) says the SAFC is a 'band-aid' solution

any thoughts on this anyone? I am dying to know what you all think before i spend $1100 when i could be spending $700 on a Apexi SAFC!!!!

P.S. Sorry to all you guys that read this in The performance SST thread but i need all the info i can get :-)
Thanks for the extra info WIl25T

IMACUL8

R33 Remap or Apexi SAFC?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2002, 06:29:49 AM »
U lie Dan

We both know u can get SAFC for about $550.

Dan

PS - U know how I feel about this.

25GTT

R33 Remap or Apexi SAFC?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2002, 06:37:05 AM »
Sorry my fault,

i meant $700 for the SAFC due to installation cost of it aswell and dyno included. That is also included on the $1100 remap.

I do agree with you though about the SAFC being the same thing yet cheaper. Being a begginer in the turbo area i guess what i get told is best for my car, i do. Seeing as though i was getting told from an expert it is easy for them to get me to hand over the extra $$$$

Also my thrust bearing is going and making a whining noise, apparently that can be a pain to fix as they have to pull the transmission apart. Would the money i save from the SAFC be enough to fix the thrust bearing?

R34

R33 Remap or Apexi SAFC?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2002, 07:20:07 AM »
I think that a S-AFC is fine on a 33 as Imacul8's experience proves.
The timing curve is pretty good on the Nissan and doesn't need to be modified for a good result.
Because of differences in the 34 computer that causes the timing to be drastically retarded when over 0.8 bar of boost is introduced I may have to remove the S-AFC and go for the more expensive chip.
Cheers
Chris

IMACUL8

R33 Remap or Apexi SAFC?
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2002, 07:29:01 AM »
R34

You still having problems with your boost cutting.
I was speaking to Brett about it on Wed night when he was doing mine, he really seemed pissed.

Dan

R34

R33 Remap or Apexi SAFC?
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2002, 07:48:46 AM »
pissed?
Is that the right word.
Was he pissed at me or just at the problem?
He's spent a lot of time on it for me with no reward yet

IMACUL8

R33 Remap or Apexi SAFC?
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2002, 07:50:37 AM »
Not at you....
that its still a problem.
Do you have any idea how to fix it.  Are u going to need a new ecu.

Dan

R34

R33 Remap or Apexi SAFC?
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2002, 08:02:52 AM »
I tried a new ECU in the form of a PFC but while it worked the engine fine the auto trans didn't work right.
If I wire in a piggyback computer I will loose all the niceties of the 34 such as traction control and tiptronic auto etc which I'm not prepared to do.
I'll have to think about where to go to from here as it's unfair to get Brett to spend any more time on it if he doesn't get paid for it

IMACUL8

R33 Remap or Apexi SAFC?
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2002, 08:13:45 AM »
Surely someone in Japan has come across this problem.
Maybe get Forsteen(im sure hes over in Jap land) to enquire at a reputable performance shop.
I know its a long shot, but any avenue to a solution would be a good step at this point.

Dan

Bugalugs

R33 Remap or Apexi SAFC?
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2002, 02:48:17 AM »
25GTT-$1100 is that with dyno work included if so and it has full mapping capability i would think it should be far better than just an SAFC on its own.More load  points,control over the whole motor.This is more like a PowerFC but cheaper.

I would like to know more about where you can get the mods done or if i can get the programme and the add on board with eprom so i can do it myself.

Matt

TangoGTS-4

R33 Remap or Apexi SAFC?
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2002, 06:56:28 AM »
How much do you want for the sfac if you get rid of it Chris?

Greg.

mrsnrub

R33 Remap or Apexi SAFC?
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2002, 07:06:57 AM »
Well I have to say id go the cheaper option and get a SAFC.

Both Troy and Dan have proven their worth with some sweet dyno results.

BOOSTMEISTER

R33 Remap or Apexi SAFC?
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2002, 07:51:14 AM »
R34
Do you know that the R34's have two points that determine the boot cut ie. boost cut is triggered by 2 different signals so if you get rid of / bypass one you still have to do the other or it will still cut.

Cam

meggala

R33 Remap or Apexi SAFC?
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2002, 07:51:31 AM »
my thoughts are to go s-afc why because you will get more mods and then the chip wont be tuned for the those mod or go the whole hog and get a power fc or microtech. I have a s-afc which you do for my power goals 18-190 rwkw at the most most likey 16-170.

R34 you probably going to need a chip from japan for yours I'd say . cheers
meggala

96GTS

R33 Remap or Apexi SAFC?
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2002, 02:54:50 PM »
25GTT - if you have $1100 or more to spend? i would just go all the way and get a Power FC!