Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Power Requirements  (Read 1207 times)

Adrian

Power Requirements
« on: July 24, 2001, 04:29:48 PM »
Hey folks,

I am looking at a new system to replace the factory CD/Stereo/Tape system in my R33 and have narrowed it down to this spec and price... what do you guys think, is it value for money.. and will the stock factory battery (which I have noted is quite small) be OK for this system.

DEH-P3350 Pioneer CD/Tuner/Changer control with 4 x 50w Mosfet to power:
2 x Cerwin Vega 6" components for the front
2 x Cerwin Vega 6" co-ax for the parcel tray

1 x 12 disc Pioneer CD changer

1 x Blaupunkt amp (not sure what power) to run
1 x boxed 10" pioneer sub in the boot.

Total system price installed $2800 including GST and hi-grade cabling.

Is this a fair price and is the factory battery OK for this system???

Cheers in advance,

Adrian

bizkit

Power Requirements
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2001, 05:11:35 PM »
the systems sounds like a  good setup.

from personal experiance there is a few things i would recomend.

see if you can get an amp that will run the front speakers and also your sub. this will relivethe stress on your head deck.

the amps in head decks are ok, but to get nice quality sound you should really use a seperate amp for your componants. running the back speakers off the head deck should be ok as they are only for rear fill. also if you do put speakers in the back shelf you will loose bass in the cabin. this is because the sub will not be able to breathe into the car through the speakeer holes.

the battery should be ok if you are not going to liten to your system turned up the whole time.

danijel

ps also i am curious which vega componants you are looking at getting.

infintyR32

Power Requirements
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2001, 05:26:17 PM »
Setup sounds great dude.

I am running a higher grade battery for my system but I am using a couple of amps as well.  Probably the existing one would be ok for a while.  You will only really have problems when big bass notes come in (amp needs lots of instant power) and when you are not driving/running the car.

Yeah, I agree, buy an amp that can have one channel bridged for the sub and use the other two for the front components.

Have to say I don't agree with the rear speakers = less bass but this is my opinion.  Reason for opinion is I tried this, tried sealing the rear off except for ports in the parcel shelf.  but then the sub I put in is in a sealed box.  Remember, bass is non directional sound unlike mids and especially tweeters.  I have two tens in sealed boxed rear firing and this gives heaps of bass.  Rear firing is the best configuration, found by making boxes, putting subs in, getting RTA and then measuring spl with boxes in different positions.

Amp power to run depends on the power rating for your sub.  I would say a 4x100 would be great, 4x50 ok as well.

My thoughts, let us know what you do!

Cheers

Adrian

Rear speakers
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2001, 11:40:50 PM »
Hi Bizkit,

The vega components are stealth series  SS-6.2 I think or stealt 6209 or something close to that - didn't get the model code sorry.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hey infinityR32,

Thanks for the advice man. To be honest I would like to put larger speakers in the parcel tray than 6.5" but it doesn't seem viable without cutting the metal in the back.

I have been told that with spacers some people have fitted 8" speakers before and 6"x9" speakers mounted longways. Have you ever seen this done? What are you running for mid-range sound in the rear?

As for subs, I have never used a sub before, just a 4 way amp running infinity kappa 6 x 9 in the rear and 6.5" 3way kappas in the front so I appreciate how good infinty gear is. I used to have people ask me what sort of sub I had - classic! I am reluctant to go to the extra expense and give up the boot space. Basically, If I forget the amp and sub the system is $1800 installed. Going to the amp and sub wacks another $1,000 onto the cost. I appreciate that the sub makes a difference but I don't really want loudness, just good sound that can handle running at volume. I don't think I can get that with 6" speakers front and rear alone so I am forced to go for the sub.

What do you think?

Adrian
« Last Edit: July 26, 2001, 11:45:47 PM by Adrian »

EVIL-BUNNY

Power Requirements
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2001, 02:55:25 PM »
yummmmmmmm   those 2650s are kick arse components

80rms and midrange contour :)

:devil:

infintyR32

Power Requirements
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2001, 09:17:35 PM »
Adrian

To reproduce "good" sound, you need speakers that can cover the whole range of frequnecies that are used in the production of sound.

This means that you need a good set of tweeters - very directional speakers so must be installed correctly in the front of your car, then a good set of midrange speakers - very important for midrange frequencies and then a good sub - equally important to reproduce the lower frequencies.

This will result in a "good" balanced sound.  Throw in some rear fill, some time alignment and you have good sounds.

Amplify as much sound as you can.  Stock headunits that say they are 4x50w produce nowhere near this amount on a regular basis.  At least amplify the front speakers and the sub.

if you don't want to use up the boot for a sub, mount a high end set of components in the front (like Infinity Perfects - I havn't heard the CV's but I have heard these and they are great!) and a good set of rear 6.5's, (like Infinity Kappas).  Mount them both well, sound deaden the front doors, get a small amplifier for the whole lot and you should be in business.

Just my opinion.

Cheers