Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Active Spoiler not working  (Read 461 times)

ph1

Active Spoiler not working
« on: June 10, 2001, 01:56:38 AM »
Sky Jack
(5/4/01 11:06:33 am)
Reply  Active Spoiler not working
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 hi ppl, my spoiler doesn't work when driving at 100kms or any speed but does go up/down on start up. Are there any checks that I can do, or any idea where to start looking.

cheers Jack.....

Brendon M  
SDU Admininstrator
(5/4/01 11:36:22 am)
  try this...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 - Switch ignition on. (leave engine off)
- Make sure handbrake is on
- Press 'down' button to lower the spoilers position

It should go down on command, however only when stationary.
If it does, then perhaps the light is just faulty (maybe it is dropping down, but the is no internal signal to tell you so?)
If it is not, then I would remove the front spoiler and check it out.

The most obvious checks to do are;
- check the wiring loom all the way through to the electric spoiler motor.
- check all terminal connections
- check the fuses
- check the guidetrack for anything stopping the spoiler
- check out the electric motor

2c

Sky Jack
(5/4/01 12:00:58 pm)
Reply  Re: try this...
 Yes it does go down when stationary (motor off)and the light on switch is on also,can start motor in N,then put into D and get to about 20km/h then it comes up and wont come down again regardless of speed.

Jack

Brendon M  
SDU Admininstrator
(5/4/01 2:20:54 pm)
  weird
 Gee Jack that is pretty weird aye?!?!
Hhhhmmm,
so the motor is fine, the light and switches are fine, but the parameters for lowering and retraction are different.
OK, I am now resorting to guesstimates...
anyone else got any ideas?
Perhaps:
- a connection plugged incorrectly (maybe the system was removed and re-installed incorrectly?)
- computer fault (ECU Test?)

Sky Jack
(5/4/01 2:39:06 pm)
Reply  Re: weird
 Mmmmmmm yes it is. Would it have a speed sensor somewhere that could be faulty. Any ideas where it would be??
Ill try the ECU check and see how I get on,that would let me know about the sensor wouldn't it.

Jack.....

Brendon M  
SDU Admininstrator
(5/4/01 2:51:00 pm)
  Re: weird
 Yes,
it must have a sensor to indicate to:
- Lower @ 70KM/h
- Retract on return to 50km/h

So perhaps one has moved, or is being triggered for some reason.

Sky Jack
(5/4/01 3:58:30 pm)
 Any idea where the sensor would be located??

thanks again Jack......

Brendon M  
SDU Admininstrator
(5/6/01 9:44:12 am)
  Re: weird
 laying on the bonnet of my car whilst moving at 70km/h did'nt work. I saw the spoiler go down but did't see any sensors or anything.... (hee hee hee)
Seriously though, I have had a look but still can't find any of the sensors. Maybe it works off the speedo? My spoiler drops down when on a dyno at these speeds (fwd disabled of course) So that would suggest the sensor is in the speedo, ecu, or in the rear wheels area... maybe...
Brendon Moses
PO Box 9357 Hamilton New Zealand
Please take a moment to show your support and rank this site. Click here!

briteyes
(5/6/01 9:56:52 am)
 The spped sensor forr all speed related items on the skyline is part of the spedo. Unless your HICAS light is on then i would suspect that the sensor is working OK.

Possably somthing as simple as a wrong relay installed. especially as it goes up at speed not down.

Spoiler relay. 1:2 = coil 3:4 = NC contacts 6:7 = NO contacts

hope this helps

briteyes

matlowth  
(5/6/01 2:08:10 pm)
 Just a thought, have u had the speed limiter removed?

If the front spoiler does infact work off the speedo and you've had the speed limit raised, you might find that this is the problem.

Certain speed cuts work by tricking the computer into thinking that it's only going half as fast as it is. So at 180 kays yuor computer only thinks your doing 90 etc. So if the spoiler does go down at 70 kays, u might need to be doing 140 b4 it actually drops...

Hope that sorta makes sense.

matt

Sky Jack
(5/6/01 7:11:55 pm)
 Ok I think someone has played with the speed limiter as I
have had it off the clock,(did I say that) so you may have something there.
Where would the speed limiter have been altered,eg at the speedo or ECU? It does have a Mines stamp on the ECU,so maybe it might of been done in Japan maybe?? Do you know of a way to over ride the speed sensor bit for the spoiler???

Many thanks again

Jack.....