Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: VL Calais RB26DETT  (Read 8821 times)

stacey vette

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2003, 01:10:04 PM »
the RB30 isnt a POS always. there is DABEAST in aussy Gold calais RB30ET slicks no NOS 3sp trimatic Heathcote Raceway 27/10/02 10.18@127

or

VLGMH VLGMH Vic 10.47@131 Black calais RB30ET slicks, no NOS 3sp trimatic 4200stall, 650hp GT35 JPC extractors and Plenum Autronic 363s 29psi

and one that runs 9secs but i cant remember the specs on that.

Lith

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://teamlurkracing.orcon.net.nz
VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2003, 04:01:19 PM »
Yeah, the GT-Rs in Oz have only just caught up with the RB30ET Commodores (JUST!) as there is at least one Commodore Turbo running 8's over there.   They get ridiculous amounts of power out of them with the stock internals even.....   I doubt they are far different from RB26DETTs as far as how much you have to replace to (reliably) get equivalent power out of them.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
  --  Socrates

... thanks for all the fish

john boy

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2003, 06:46:13 PM »
what a pathetic looking car !!, the only good thing about it is the engine, I though that this was a SKYLINE forum, anyone posting here who gives this type of junk praise   IS A JUDAS !

Howard,so you recon that "Even fast GT-Rs arn't that fast to me ..considering how much they cost" so what do you recon is fast to you considering how much it costs ?????????? you need to take your hand off of it & get out in the real world were there is nothing I mean NOTHING   to touch a gtr for value for money & sheer performance, handling, looks, etc, etc, etc !!!!!!!!!!!

now be a good chap & go & wash you mouth out with soap & water.

Stacy,
shame on you !
« Last Edit: June 29, 2003, 06:49:08 PM by john boy »

Bill_G

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2003, 07:09:21 PM »
Did this VL start with an RB30 in it? If so, why did he not spend less money to get the same result?

John Boy,  perhaps you should rethink that comment. I too have been in a heavily worked GTR, but when you consider the $60k+ spent on the engine it seemed a bit of a waste when it was virtually matched in performance by a home built car weighing less than 600kg (with driver, and that car only has an NA EJ20 in it). And it was built on a budget of $2 per week. Not dogging GTR's at all, but you have to throw a lot of money at them to make them go fast reliably.

john boy

Horsesh*t
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2003, 02:49:35 PM »
can anyone name a car that will outperform a gtr for a similar budget, I mean a car suitable for day to day driving !! for arguments sake let's say "lightly modified"

Bill G,
how on earth can you reasonably compare a hombuilt car that if the guy saved for 10 years cost a thousand bucks ???ha ha ha ha
what a stupid comment.

finaly, you say that "you have to throw a lot of money at a gtr to make it go reliably", well lets please have some comments from people that are actually qualified in gtr ownership. I have personaly owned more cars than you have had hot dinners & without a shadow of doubt, I think that a gtr gives the best "bang for your bucks"

Bill_G

Re: Horsesh*t
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2003, 04:15:05 PM »
Originally posted by john boy
I have personaly owned more cars than you have had hot dinners & without a shadow of doubt, I think that a gtr gives the best "bang for your bucks"

Dam,  and now you're mocking my inability to cook food......

Lith

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Horsesh*t
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2003, 04:35:59 PM »
Originally posted by Bill_G
Dam,  and now you're mocking my inability to cook food......

Hrrm...  must admit I've never imagined you as a chef but people are known to surprise ;)

john boycan anyone name a car that will outperform a gtr for a similar budget, I mean a car suitable for day to day driving !! for arguments sake let's say "lightly modified"

Being a definate Skyline fan, I agree that GT-Rs are way up there - but that is a gross generalisation.    For a start, please state what you call 'out perform'??

ie, A Toyota Supra RZ with minimal mods (intake, exhaust, boost) will make a mockery of a Skyline GT-R in outright power and straightline acceleration - not counting launch.  

A Mitsubishi EVO will seat 4 people more comfortably, take very little convincing to get into the low 12s while maintaining very good driveability and reliability....  

A late model RX7 with simple mods and decent tuning can happily get fairly quick 1/4 mile times, be even more evil around a race track and believe it or not - draw the attention of more men woman and children than practically any other car I have been in.

An Integra Type-R with intake, exhaust, a very decent set of tires etc can make a very cheap to run daily driver and the ability to mess up many top shelf cars around particularly a fairly windy racetrack...

etc etc,

Not saying where I consider where they compare exactly to a GT-R as it depends on the car, driver, weather, track, country, position of the sun etc etc etc.   Just pointing out that GT-Rs aren't all superior in every which way, just very very good at what they do.
  --  Socrates

GR81

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2003, 05:51:05 PM »
i can see the maturity of toyspeed starting to flow into this thread :mad:

0t1

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/groups/132769916715/
VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2003, 06:01:38 PM »
jonboy, what a pathetic looking car !!, the only good thing about it is the engine, I though that this was a SKYLINE forum, anyone posting here who gives this type of junk praise IS A JUDAS !
-----------------------------------------------
jeeseees
thems fightin words!!! in the wrong ear!!!

ease up,
I own a Skyline and yeah the're good and I would love to someday have a crack at a GTR, and I've a few mods and personalized bits on the old horse, and f*&)k me if it don't have The Triple Diamond stamped everywhere,
this talk is reminiscent of the GM & Blue Oval from a bygone era, move forwards.

**** I hope I'm not a judas for having owned Chev V8's 307-327-350-400, Holdens 161-202-308, Fords 1.6-2.0, Pontiac V8 400, Triumph V8 3.5, Mitsubishi 4g63, Vauxhall 2.3, Chryslers 265-318, VW bug, Nissan RB2.0DET-RB25DET, my old brain is sore now.

I see it now I am a hopeless case, I want my 40 peices

peace out
E rere kau mai te awa nui nei, Mai i te kahui maunga ki Tangaroa, Ko au te awa, Ko te awa ko au. The river flows, From the mountains to the sea, I am the river,the river is me

john boy

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2003, 06:03:38 PM »
you are correct, I was making a gross generlisation---- but heh I will try again- OVERALL THE SKYLINE GTR IS THE BEST F'ING CAR IN THE WHOLE WORLD-generaly speaking, irrespective of which way the sun is shining !!!!!!!!!!!!

stainNZ

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2003, 06:37:19 PM »
Originally posted by john boy
you are correct, I was making a gross generlisation---- but heh I will try again- OVERALL THE SKYLINE GTR IS THE BEST F'ING CAR IN THE WHOLE WORLD-generaly speaking, irrespective of which way the sun is shining !!!!!!!!!!!!

Heh FANBOY....

Dude this is a Skyline forum... Were here because we like Skylines (apart from the trolls)... Believe it or not we doooo like GTR's and most of us believe them to be the bees knees!. but hey its a car... not a religion despite the name given to GTR's  

Ant... I think this guy needs one of your kittys ;)

Howard Devoto

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2003, 06:51:05 PM »
Dicky mate I love GT-Rs to , I own 3 now . (oh and a VL)
But I stand by my comment ...
They are VERY heavy and expensive to make go fast.
Just read High Performance Imports , every month there is a turbo rotary powered corolla or something that would blow the doors off a reasonably modded gtr ...
I can remember Nick Manns Morris 1000 doing 10's (on street tyres) like 20 years ago and that car cost like 1 /3 of what a R costs ..Can you remember the Lotus 7 doing 9's in a different class around about the same time ?
Not only did it do 9's but it stopped like an f1 and went around corners at light speed ...
I am a genuine motorsport nut who has owned many stupidly fast cars but I have never been into drag racing so I cant state how fast ...
GT-Rs are PIGS at low speed and any half decent evo or rx7 would make one look silly on a very tight track .
Even Road and Track 's completely unbiased review says they are crap on tight stuff ...
Dont misunderstand what Im saying here ... I like them alot but considering the amount you have to pour into them to go fast , I think there are better options.
I use my R32 as a club car and seem to do ok but there are a lot of cars that come very close to me on a much smaller budget ...

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2003, 08:15:37 PM »
Every car is good in its own way as they
are each designed for a purpose i.e street,
track, rally, etc but what I have come to
appreciate about the GTR Skyline is it's
versatility so that with the appropriate
mods essentially it can have an all-round
adaptability i.e street, race, targa rally,
drag, drifting etc.

But when you combine components
from different makes of cars essentially
they become a unique creation as the
owner makes up their own ideal car.

To each their own - so congratulations
go to the owner of the VL Calais
RB26DETT as it is awesome. :)

R32 GT

Re: Re: Re: Horsesh*t
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2003, 10:18:01 AM »
Originally posted by Lith

Being a definate Skyline fan, I agree that GT-Rs are way up there - but that is a gross generalisation.    For a start, please state what you call 'out perform'??

ie, A Toyota Supra RZ with minimal mods (intake, exhaust, boost) will make a mockery of a Skyline GT-R in outright power and straightline acceleration - not counting launch.  

A Mitsubishi EVO will seat 4 people more comfortably, take very little convincing to get into the low 12s while maintaining very good driveability and reliability....  

A late model RX7 with simple mods and decent tuning can happily get fairly quick 1/4 mile times, be even more evil around a race track and believe it or not - draw the attention of more men woman and children than practically any other car I have been in.

An Integra Type-R with intake, exhaust, a very decent set of tires etc can make a very cheap to run daily driver and the ability to mess up many top shelf cars around particularly a fairly windy racetrack...

etc etc,

Lets not forget GTS-t's with the right mods too:D  Seem to be a fair bit more nimble, and as with mine havent needed too much convincing to get up and go:p

Lith

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2003, 02:10:39 PM »
Sorry, and Honda Domanis :D
  --  Socrates