Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: VL Calais RB26DETT  (Read 9138 times)

john boy

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2003, 03:08:48 PM »
ok I'll " wind my neck in" a bit, I think a lot of good points have been made on this page & I accept that I am a little Bias towards gtr's BUT- jump in a bog standard gtr & drive it down the road, it really feels like somthing special,  the evo's don't feel bad but heh they were produced  years afterwards, a standard batman is a very dissapointing car as is an integera type R, the only one in lith's list(try saying that without developing a lisp !) that feels somthing "like it" is the supra, but as he said "it don't launch" like a gtr & it does not handle as well, also if you spend a grand modifying the gtr & the supra, the gtr would eat the supra in every department, even if you did give it a head start to make up for the lack of launch ability.no other car mentioned Qualify's for comparison, come on Glen, a moggy thou ! who would want to drive around in that !, I wonder how it pulled up & went around corners, I realise that this thread started out with a "special" being mentioned but these one off "mutants"  are no longer relevant to the thread.
just for a bit of fun imagine Mark Skaife & Jimmy Richards turning up at "the mount" with one of the cars lith mentioned, every body would be rolling around on the floor  splitting their sides with laughter, even if Gibson Motorsport had done some race legal research & development, these cars would just not cut the mustard.Now I know what you are thinking, sombody will say that "the supra would do the job", well I say that it would not without some serious chassis & suspension work that would not be within the rules, & not forgeting that Toyota would be 4 years too late !

R32 GT

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2003, 03:25:56 PM »
Originally posted by john boy
ok I'll " wind my neck in" a bit, I think a lot of good points have been made on this page & I accept that I am a little Bias towards gtr's BUT- jump in a bog standard gtr & drive it down the road, it really feels like somthing special,  the evo's don't feel bad but heh they were produced  years afterwards, a standard batman is a very dissapointing car as is an integera type R, the only one in lith's list(try saying that without developing a lisp !) that feels somthing "like it" is the supra, but as he said "it don't launch" like a gtr & it does not handle as well, also if you spend a grand modifying the gtr & the supra, the gtr would eat the supra in every department, even if you did give it a head start to make up for the lack of launch ability.no other car mentioned Qualify's for comparison, come on Glen, a moggy thou ! who would want to drive around in that !, I wonder how it pulled up & went around corners, I realise that this thread started out with a "special" being mentioned but these one off "mutants"  are no longer relevant to the thread.
just for a bit of fun imagine Mark Skaife & Jimmy Richards turning up at "the mount" with one of the cars lith mentioned, every body would be rolling around on the floor  splitting their sides with laughter, even if Gibson Motorsport had done some race legal research & development, these cars would just not cut the mustard.Now I know what you are thinking, sombody will say that "the supra would do the job", well I say that it would not without some serious chassis & suspension work that would not be within the rules, & not forgeting that Toyota would be 4 years too late !

Oooooooooo you dont half like causing controversy do you;)
I imagine lith will have some strong words to add to your little rant... Especially about the Bat comment and the teg type R.. Which to me in standard form are two very impressive cars...but i could be wrong:p

BTW My gts-t will eat a standard R apart from launch in every department:cool:

john boy

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2003, 04:54:27 PM »
Hold on I agree with lith, a batman is great for impressing women & children.

you say that your "T" will "eat a standard gtr in every depatment"
to make that statment "hold any water" you should scrub out  "@102 mph" at the end of you posts. BUT don't get me wrong the "T" is a skyline, so it rocks as far as I am concerned

fix69er

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2003, 05:02:26 PM »
Originally posted by R32 GT
BTW My gts-t will eat a standard R apart from launch in every department:cool:

Well I have driven few gtr’s and gts-t’s and I dought if that is correct.

Regarding to bang for bux…GTR is too expensive for average punter to maintain etc. Five of my mates own GTR’s and they are getting them fixed most of the time. Well if you have lot of money to throw at a GTR, then yes “bang for bux” is a GTR.

V8eta

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2003, 06:30:57 PM »
Theres a few supras around that i know of that will outrun a gtr rolling start with just exhaust and filter mods john boy, Yeah they dont have the launch but they are a different sort of car, and they dont handle that badly, infact they are fairly good considering the size.
ps john boy, phat 32s car has had more work done too it since he ran the 102mph, it would be significantly higher now ;)
Ver 3 WRX STi type RA racer

Howard Devoto

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2003, 06:37:28 PM »
"come on Glen, a moggy thou ! who would want to drive around in that !, I wonder how it pulled up & went around corners,"

Its Glenn with 2 n's ..
Interestingly enough ...
Either harewood hill or prescott ,(pommy hillclimbs) I believe it held the class record for years ...and I think it was right up there in the 65 foot times ...
So seemingly it stopped and went around corners exceptionally well .
It also looked ****ern amazing
The vl just ticked over 220000 btw ...

JKGTS4

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2003, 07:47:14 PM »
ill stick with my origional comment. i think all the ppl out there with negative comments and pety arguments should grow the **** up. get a life and live it. the vl owner luvs his/her car. good on him/her. others like GTR's good on them sum like honda integras. good on them. Get over urselves, ur opinions dont mean **** in this world. once agin, grow up

0t1

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/groups/132769916715/
VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2003, 08:19:01 PM »
208732Kms and still going good!
E rere kau mai te awa nui nei, Mai i te kahui maunga ki Tangaroa, Ko au te awa, Ko te awa ko au. The river flows, From the mountains to the sea, I am the river,the river is me

Lith

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://teamlurkracing.orcon.net.nz
VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2003, 11:20:32 AM »

Hmm, rotaries had actually long been banned at the mount when GT-R's showed up - so I guess we'll never know ;)    That list was just examples of things, basically suggesting that those cars were good in their own special ways.  The mount is one of the most ideal tracks for a GT-R (long straights and more sweeping corners), so it is naturally going to do quite well there.  

I'm not going to argue AGAINST Skylines, and your comments sortof imply you aren't going to take anything objectively anyway - all I am saying is there is more out there that is good than GT-Rs...
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
  --  Socrates

... thanks for all the fish

R32 GT

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2003, 04:13:14 PM »

you say that your "T" will "eat a standard gtr in every depatment"
to make that statment "hold any water" you should scrub out  "@102 mph" at the end of you posts. BUT don't get me wrong the "T" is a skyline, so it rocks as far as I am concerned

I wouldnt have said this if i wasnt quite confident in it. Plus as V8eta said, my car has had an upgrade or two since the 14.1 @ 102 was run, but is still my fastest time to date i have acheived. Which i thought was a damn good effort considering at the time it had standard turbo, i/cooler, downpipe and no fuel controller..plus not stripped out like some.

So i take it Dicky and john boy are the same user then? It gets kinda confusing:D

john boy

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2003, 06:59:40 PM »
Lith,
I appreciate what you are saying & I am glad you took my comments the way they were intended & not personaly.
Just for the record, A two wheel drive vehicle ( rear) could be driven faster through long sweeping bends than it's four wheel drive counterpart, mark skaife indorsed this during an interveiw before that famous first gtr win at panorama.

Glenn with 2 n's, are you a pom ? I suppose with your "buzzcocks handle" you might be ?.
It is interesting that you Quote 65 foot times, is that how they do it over there ?, is that the class record for moggies that you are quoting ?
Nice to have an update on the VL !

V 8 eter,
I did not say that supras handle badly, just not as good as GTRs,incedently I remember the first time I saw one ten years ago in London, it looked awsome ! my bird said "that's a real car" f*ck I was pissed off that I could not afford one.

R32 GT & glenn with 2 n's you've both nearly hit the nail on the head-Dicky is my buisness partner

IIIRII

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2003, 07:10:43 PM »
John , Howard is very much a KIWI , he has been playing with fast cars for a very long time
Nick Mann held the "open class" record in many hillclimbs in Pomland
Nicks car is a legend in England / He took it to the British street car drags for a bit of a laugh .... and won ....on street tyres ...
Dicky is in fact a Pom so John ask him .....

stacey vette

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2003, 11:22:13 AM »
ok heres something to think about.

Mark Skaiffe admitted in his autobiography that his biggest motor racing mistake was to drive the GTR at bathurst.

John boy, people on this forum dislike personal attacks. i should know.

i like skylines, but i also like people with orignality, it is easy to go out and buy a car, but to make something extreme takes time.

its his car (VL) and he likes it. if you dont like it then so be it but why do u think ur way is gossple??? why do u think we have to follow ur trends???

Looney_Head

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2003, 12:31:44 PM »
some ppl are way to up tight....

anyway back to the vl stacy what mods and running gear will this beast be running?
god is just an imaginery friend for grown ups

R32 GT

VL Calais RB26DETT
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2003, 01:10:33 PM »
Originally posted by Looney_Head
some ppl are way to up tight....

anyway back to the vl stacy what mods and running gear will this beast be running?

i imagine an RB26 is allready about the best mod he could do for it!