Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Nissan CAS identification - Post your numbers here  (Read 823 times)

ph1

Nissan CAS identification - Post your numbers here
« on: June 10, 2001, 02:43:00 AM »
mounseyg
(5/23/01 3:36:08 am)
Reply  Nissan CAS identification - Post your numbers here
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Hi Guys,
In my neverending quest to rib my NICS RB20DET of its sporadic timing retarding sessions i've been checking other things.
Tonight i whipped up a CAS checker (LED jobby) and now have a few questions..

I've had this apart before(CAS) to check no muck had got inside obstructing anything, and noticed that the disc slots are different to the ECCS RB30E i saw in an article....

The difference is in the cyl locating slots... the RB30E has small slots and only one big one for No1 cyl.

The RB20DET however has a few different sizes.. fair enough, but then i tested it and yeah the cyl location pulses are different, and seem fine, but the degree slots dont seem to be too consistant, and they also seem to need a minium speed to trigger, ie you cannot get it to the point the LED stays off, like the cyl slot..

Im going to run it up on a drill tomorrow at work and look at the pulses on the CRO, then that should set me at ease, but i just though id ask.
(update.. tested today on cro.. looked fine, various sizes for the cyl pulse)

Also .... now mine has writing on the back of it so i assume its been changed.... what if its off another later RB20DET ????

SOOOO i was hoping you RB20DET guys could have a quick look at you serial number on the CAS .... it should be right on top, so a very easy job.... can you post what version RB20DET you have also !

Are there differences in the CAS slots and sizes ?

Ok, ill start(coupla of numbers..) please post what your motor is too..

NICS RB20DET T4T90171 6z11
23731 58S10

Rod
(5/23/01 10:22:46 am)
Reply  Re: Nissan CAS identification - Post your numbers here
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'87 NICS RB20DET in a manual
T4T90171 6825
23731 58S10

Mesmer
(5/23/01 12:12:54 pm)
 could you please give me some details about that cas tester? is it the one that was in zoom a while back?

RB25DET
T4T90176 8704
23731 79S10

mounseyg
(5/23/01 9:47:42 pm)
Reply  CAS tester
 Mesmer, yeah same deal, just apply +12 amd eth to sensor, then +5v thru a coupla of resistors and LED's to the sensor.... the sensor pulls low at all times, and releases it on a pulse, or a slot in the disc.

The cyl loc pulse is easy to see, however as i said the deg pulse need abit of speed as it seems to be like a 'one shot" pulse, and you cannot get it in the right position to permanently turn on the led.. which makes it hard to count them accurately to see the size of the cyl loc pulse..

However on the CRO scope, spinning it with a drill, it looked fine.... i'm in the process of making a microcontroller project that will read the deg lengths of the cyl locating pulses, i would assume the largest will be no1 ...we'll soon see.

Oh, thanks for posting guys... any more ?

Mesmer
(5/23/01 10:24:05 pm)
 Thanx for that.
I'm having intermitent problems with my CAS at the moment and i was about to buy a new one today because all the places i went to said that they couldn't be tested.

John

mounseyg
(5/24/01 2:49:15 am)
Reply  CAS
 Well you can test its operation no worries, however if its heat related, then thats more difficult... i guess you could whack it in the over to get it to say 70 deg and then quickly test it ....

but i guess a spare replacement for a few days would be best ....tested in real world conditions...