Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: fifty degrees advance?  (Read 642 times)

ph1

fifty degrees advance?
« on: June 10, 2001, 02:50:28 AM »
CARLDEAN76
(5/3/01 12:53:36 pm)
  fifty degrees advance?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 thanks for all the input to my questions. my car goes considerably better now ive advaced the timing to 50 degrees. i had to file the cam sensor to turn it far enough, WHAT IS WRONG? ive changed the ECU the air flow meter, the ignition amp, and it still needs this much on boost to run good, i pulled the #1 coil out and put a plug lead in and checked the timming, the marks hadent come up yet. ive checked the harmonic balancer to tdc and the screw driver down the hole trick says its spot on, the cam timing is spot on and all the marks line up, any help please? the car goes ok at 15deg btdc on std boost but wind it up and it starts backfiring. advance the timing and it goes strong with no audible detonation, also if i back off the throttle a little bit it goes even beter.

please help im going bald.
carl

Zapf  
(5/3/01 5:56:55 pm)
  Re: fifty degrees advance?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Interesting... I wonder what timing you get at WOT or higher RPM.

Cheers
Zapf

crooser
(5/3/01 9:13:50 pm)
 which ecu?

vegie  
(5/3/01 9:51:49 pm)
 i put my car on a tune scope at a friends workshop and found it was running approx. 55 degrees at idle and went up to around 60-65 at around 3500 rpm. these seem like wierd figures to me but it runs perfect?

Dak  
(5/3/01 9:56:28 pm)
Reply  Re: fifty degrees advance?
 ??? Something not right there, with that much advance, if it were a true reading, your motor would detonate to death big time.

GTRFAN
(5/4/01 3:12:55 pm)
 Thats WAY too far advanced. If it were at 50, you would have a rough as guts idle. In effect it's kind of like encouraging detonation.

vegie  
(5/5/01 7:05:05 pm)
 i dont know how acurate a timing light is in comparison to the tunescope, but even the light was showing the advance was well off the end of the markers on the crank.
this is why i had it checked out on the scope.
why this is i dont know but it certainly isnt detonating.

CARLDEAN76
(5/5/01 7:55:56 pm)
 the ecu is standard and i swapped it with another ecu of the same sort lets not get into number here! and it still ran beter with this much advance! i said i had to file my cam angle sensor to get this much advance, 50 degrees is when the spark comes out of the coil. do you think that my plugs are the prob?
ta

SDU President
SDU Club Prez
(5/6/01 12:42:20 am)
 Cam Timing or worn/loose drive dog in the CAS.

Rob Bryan
Club President
Skylines Downunder Car Club Inc.

Baje  
(5/7/01 12:27:58 am)
 When I first got my GTS-t it was set at 35 degrees, and it ran great for the first 15 minutes, then the ECU put a cut on the revs at 3000 rpm because of detonation.

As Rob said, you need to pull off the timing belt cover and check that all the cam timing marks line up. The belt might be worn and have slipped a tooth.

primo308
(5/7/01 11:27:29 am)
 definatly check you cam belt also check you harmonic balancer has not broken the key way

CARLDEAN76
(5/8/01 5:57:57 pm)
 ive checked the harmonic balancer and the cam timming. i can have it on 15 deg easy but i doesnt run well it likes 50. i had it on 15 and it backfired and carried on. i kept addvancing it till it became all right and it was on fifty deg.

CQloh
(5/25/01 4:15:45 am)
 this might seem like a dumb question... but which line out of the 7 is TDC (on a RB26). i was told its the second from the right (looking at the crank pulley). but hey gotta be safe than sorry right?

crooser
(5/26/01 12:51:41 am)
 not sure if i understand your question right CQloh...

if your referring to 0 degrees, if its anything like
the rb20 and rb25 (help rb26 owners!  ), its displayed from LEFT TO RIGHT:
0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30.

this pic could be helpfull also...
http://www.geocities.com/skyline...if_gif.htm

hope this helps

crooser

Blaup
Melbourne Ozzy Admin
(5/27/01 1:51:43 pm)
 Got the stobe light out on my r33 rb26 yesterday, was running 15 degrees advance at idle and my jap computer is pretty ummm well lets just say at like 3000-4000rpm the computer had advanced to 55 degrees ! works well if you have lots of boost but 50 degrees seems pretty typical of jap computers (after market)

E