Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: What should I pay for a mean cefiro?  (Read 6171 times)

EroSamnin

What should I pay for a mean cefiro?
« on: February 04, 2004, 10:00:56 PM »
Hi, I'm looking at different cars to buy, actually, only two types of cars to buy: Skyline or Cefiro.
This is because they have a 6cyl engine and aren't front wheel drive like my heap of crap mitsi.
I'm checking out a '89 Cefiro at the mo, its got a RB20DE in it and have a factory LSD and is also manual as autos are for boy racers who wear hats and have a playboy bunny on the back window. Its got 152K on the clock.
It looks pretty sweet, could do with a repaint though and a wheel alignment etc but other than that its in good nick for its age.
What do average Cefiros go for these days? I can't find any similar to this for sale on trade me or trade exchange but estimate this car to be worth 3k tops. I want to pay 2.5K cos I'm a haggling machine.
Oh, at just over 1000rpm,  the engine vibrates strangely like its running on 5cyls until you get the revs higher. It does cold or hot. Possible spark plug replacement time?
Let me know what you think.
Cheers.

Skyline_Freak_2003

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 10:03:57 PM »
What about a 300ZX ?

EroSamnin

What?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 08:45:26 AM »
A 300gayX? oh ok.
Naa, I want either a Skyline or a Cefiro. Cefiros look mean as so want to know how much one costs about.

Skyline_Freak_2003

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 04:55:36 PM »
Whatever dude, 300ZX will smoke all of them after about 400 m or so and is light at the rear than a cefiro.

bonzelite

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 05:12:07 PM »
the engine problem you have may be a dead injector.

EroSamnin

Dead injector?
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 06:55:20 PM »
This could be a possibility. Though I'm not sure if it matters, but the exhaust smells a bit rich as if some fule is getting through after not burning or the car is just running rich.
Possibly cleaning those bits that go where the spark plugs are may help ignition but I don't really know. It possibly still has the original plugs and they may need replacing.
Very costly to get new injector? I don't really want to get this car if its going to cost too much, though it's probably worth it.
Paint it, new exhaust system, new other things, some non bling bling mags, a smaller steering wheel so I can't steer with my knees and it will be awesome.

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Re: What should I pay for a mean cefiro?
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 01:59:35 AM »
Originally posted by EroSamnin
autos are for boy racers who wear hats and have a playboy bunny on the back window.
 ^^^ LMFAO!!!!

I wouldnt moan if i was given a 300ZX.... 3000cc V6 Twin Turbo... and a sexy shape!
Then again there is nothing wrong with the Skyline and Cefiro...
Back on track, Im not too sure on what it would be worth, but an educated guess would set the price at about $3000, give or take!
Dont forget, that noise at 1000rpm is a good negotiation point when it comes to the value of the car!
If ya do buy it, enjoy it! they are nice looking cars with a damn reliable engine! Go the RB!

EroSamnin

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 01:35:34 AM »
OK, might just be a case of "screw it" and buy the Cefiro and then clean up those things that go to the plugs and get a service including plugs. If it still does it I'll chuck in a new coil and if that doesn't do it I'll put some injector cleaner stuff and put it in and see if that does it. Maybe not in that order but at some stage.
Also, are the electric windows easy enough to adjust/tighten up? I noticed that the drivers side one is a bit loose and takes a couple goes to get it to go up properly.

300gayX are ok, I just like to actually fit things like people into the back without having to get them cut in half.

bonzelite

Re: Dead injector?
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 12:58:48 PM »
This could be a possibility. Though I'm not sure if it matters, but the exhaust smells a bit rich as if some fule is getting through after not burning or the car is just running rich.
Possibly cleaning those bits that go where the spark plugs are may help ignition but I don't really know. It possibly still has the original plugs and they may need replacing.
Very costly to get new injector? I don't really want to get this car if its going to cost too much, though it's probably worth it.
Paint it, new exhaust system, new other things, some non bling bling mags, a smaller steering wheel so I can't steer with my knees and it will be awesome.

O2 sensor may be bad, too. that is common. maybe the timing is advanced poorly. and a bad injector does matter. a lot. injectors are expensive. each one costs like a hundred bucks. to do the other things you envision, you must have loads of extra cash, buddy.

bonzelite

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 01:09:57 PM »

Also, are the electric windows easy enough to adjust/tighten up? I noticed that the drivers side one is a bit loose and takes a couple goes to get it to go up properly.

is it slow to go up, or is the glass itself loose and off track?

EroSamnin

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2004, 06:05:46 PM »
Man, I have money flowing out every pore. Well, acutally, I don't at all but it would be nice. I sell firearms for a living and there isn't huge money in it.

Anyway, from what I have been reading, most of the niggly little things that can make it run a bit rough are not too hard to sort out, so if can get it for the right price, ie. way less than the person wants, I'll buy it :D

As for the window, it seems to rock either forward or back as its going up and it takes a few goes to get it to sit in properly. Then it's sweet no wind noise driving. It works ok other than that.

bonzelite

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2004, 07:21:19 PM »
i'm jealous. i have a maxima. the cefiro, ie, the A31, is a meaner, leaner powerhouse version of the USDM 3rd gen maxima. dammit all.

the window sounds like it is literally disengaged from the runner thing that brings it up and down. the hardware in the door is f*cked but easily repairable. and, yes, the problems the car seems to have are just rather elementary maintenance issues you'd expect from a 13 year old car. it would not deter me. :)

EroSamnin

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2004, 08:29:04 PM »
Ok MEAN! It seems as though I may have well just buy it. Who cares, it's far cooler than a corolla or something "reliable". Also, it's reliable aswell as everyone in the world I have talked to about RB type engines think they are good as.
So I come to the conclusion that this car will be mine. I might ring them now.
I have the cash in my pocket right now and its ready to not be there anymore.
Awesome.
That actual old school Skyline in the post with tonnes of pics is awesome! I must get one of them also, but I bet there are none anywhere at all. Or, get a Mini clubman 1275GT (my first ever car. and what a beast. Could corner so dam fast it was insane) and make it awesome so I have a Cefiro and an old as car.

Anyone want to buy a crappy old mitsi mirage Geneva II???? its awesome, its got supershift and also has factory mags! Hasn't been serviced in 20K, has 237K on the clock, has the left air vent in the front and also has a wild cat steering wheel! You wont find a better car that cant go over 140K an hour.

kyteler

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
    • http://blog.retro-classics.co.nz/
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2004, 10:10:00 PM »
I know it's a bit delayed but you might also want to consider a late 80's early 90's Nissan Laurel, they look pretty mean all tidied up and are also RWD running the RB-series engine.  They also go for around the $2-5K mark.
1963 Prince Skyline (S21)| 1973 Nissan Skyline (C110)| 1983 Nissan Skyline (R30)