Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Boosting a GTSt  (Read 865 times)

ph1

Boosting a GTSt
« on: June 10, 2001, 03:00:17 AM »
lovettGTS
(5/29/01 1:32:34 pm)
Reply  Boosting a GTSt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Hi folks. This is my first post as I just joined this list. Also I am very new to tubrocharged cars so I guess some of my questions will be quite basic to may of you.

Just bought myself a 9 year-old GTSt R32 and seeking to boost it a bit. So far just installed a Hurricane air filter and a 3 inch exhaust, otherwise car is all factory specs.

I have read the archives and I understand that the GTSt's stock boost is around 8 PSI but can be increased to around 12-13 PSi without any serious modifications. Would that be the case or will I fry my motor or turbo? How does not actually boost it from 8 to 13? I read some post that you need a boost (electronic) controller; isn't there a factory controller installed already? Would a boost meter be a real requirement? What HP increase can be gained here?

Thank you...

SilLine
(5/29/01 5:22:27 pm)
Reply  Boost
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 You should be able to to run up to 12psi with out too much of a problem. You need to to run GOOD!!! fuel not just standard unleaded.

An electronic boost controller is the best way to go to control boost, however you can use a bleed valve from Turbosmart, about $100AUD. And yes you do require a Boost gauge so as you can tell the exact pressure you and running through the rev range.

If you are running about 8psi and you up the boost to 12psi you will notice a significant difference. I have heard this before but if is not correct don't quote me, Every 7psi is roughly about a 50% increase in power.

So boost up and enjoy

Warps
(5/29/01 5:30:49 pm)
Reply  Re: Boost
 I thought that R32 GTS-t's were standard around 10-12psi? General consensus is don't go above 16psi with the ceramic turbo, or it will break.

Use Optimax or at least Premium, even on std boost. When I got my car (R32 GTS-t) it was pinging under load. Turns out it had normal unleaded in it. I filled the tank with Optimax and octane booster, and now run on straight Optimax or premium if I'm stuck, and don't have any more prob's.

check your mixtures under load, and ensure that your fuel pump is in good nick. Being 9 years old, things can start to wear. Leaning out under boost can spell disaster.

lovettGTS
(5/29/01 8:32:42 pm)
Reply  Re: Boosting a GTSt
 razorGTSt, silLine, & warps - thnaks for all the advice...

MCR32
(6/1/01 12:38:59 am)

I have a stocko *sigh* 93 r32 gtst type m

i am fitting a gtr cooler, blitz pod and a greddy profec b.

I cant afford an exaust yet so what do you guys think is the max boost i can set it to run without the exaust being a restriction.

The plan at the momment is to set it to 12 run optimax and stick it on my dads dyno to see what the mixtures and what the boost is doing.

ATT: Does anyone have or kjnow where i can get the instructions for the profec b>????

Thanks again

MCR32

forsteen  
(6/1/01 3:26:14 am)
 Here is some sites that will help you learn more about turbocharging.

http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/shelby/turbo101.htm

http://www.powerlink.co.nz/~graeme/trouble.html

I like this one the best
http://www.turboclub.com

Forsteen

"Serve a greater cause than your own ego, or you'll be a one man army." Richard Marcinko