Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: transplanting Skyline EFI to other cars...(BMW)  (Read 2206 times)

perseverator

transplanting Skyline EFI to other cars...(BMW)
« on: May 08, 2004, 05:30:09 PM »
I have an old 323i with mechanical injection and I want to install a Skyline EFI from the old R30 2.4E car. I can't find a schematic of this ECU. Anyone know about it? It's cool because it has no 'limits'and does not even use a knock sensor.  Cheap too.

davehoos

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 10:48:29 PM »
wiring diagram is in the aust workshop manual.very close to a laurel.

perseverator

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 05:23:19 PM »
Thanks. I know pretty much about the general wiring diagram but cant find any schematics for the computer. Im just going to get it all in and then play I Guess.......Made my own plenim chamber and inlet manifold  could be interesting.

gtst4

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 06:20:39 PM »
The workshop manual has the pinouts for the ECU.

perseverator

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 11:41:21 PM »
Thanks gtst4 & davehoos I did manage to get a diagram that shows the wireing and of course the pinouts but was hoping to find out what was the deal inside. My background is electronic systems and i like to get into things and 'improve' them. Not having a schematic of the P.C. board inside the computer makes this difficult so I was a bit frustrated......Hell.. I'v even emailed Nissan in Japan but I still have not got a reply  (couple of weeks.)

davehoos

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 01:56:09 AM »
If you are a teck type,throw ecu in the bin.its not much better than a calculator.its fuel only so the water temp[enrichment],and air flow:throttle position [load] versus RPM and it looks up a basic map..

an after market ecu is a better idea,but for the tinkerer get a L28ET dist,modify if nessesary to give out the same signal as a VG30,and use a VG30ET ecu.the ecu chip can be removed and reprogramed.

you wont[unlikly] get ecu information as the deal is the ecu manufacturer supplies a part that conects to nissans harness and the engine goes.i have ecu with same part number that are not the same to look at.

perseverator

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 11:53:38 AM »
Yeah, (he said laughing to himself) I know your right. I just dont want to spend the Tin just now....Once I get up and running I may do just that. I'm getting a good feeling doing it myself (with a bit of help).....I have also noticed.....several ecu 'Black boxes' all 'L jetronic ' but completely different inside. I thought it was strange. Frinstance I'v got a VN commodore unit with no big chips just small round ones and only 3 (8/10 legs) but same connector etc.  Cheers.

davehoos

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 01:02:43 PM »
by vn i assume you mean 4 cyl.basically all efi systems utill recently are bosch liecence.and made in many lands.

a vn 3.8 ecu is one of the best ecu in the world.better than motec etc etc.[maybe] the VR manual ecu is real time reprogramabe.only have to have delco signal inputs and[recomended] a gm/nissan t/body.
a oz 1.8 N13 pulsar or oz 2.0 U12 pintara probable big enough.

davehoos

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 01:06:21 PM »
sorry i also assumed you were using the engine.
a VK 6 cyl efi bosch unit is very primative and has raised resisters of the board on posts to tune.i think the falcon of that age was the same.

perseverator

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 11:03:56 AM »
I was going to drop in an rb20det but my wife is complaining about the money.... I'll get this going for now and buy a Skyline motor later.

davehoos

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 11:36:32 PM »
I not up on bmw but some older models have bosch efi.
until the mechanical distribution pump fails the system is good.