Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: VR4 intercooler  (Read 830 times)

ph1

VR4 intercooler
« on: June 10, 2001, 03:17:43 AM »
V8eta
(5/27/01 4:29:07 pm)
Reply  VR4 intercooler
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Would a VR4 intercooler be a worthwhile upgrade for my gtst or should i go with something larger, Im thinking that the factory one is not going to like it when i put the new turbo in. Im aiming to run 15psi on a 25t turbo, will this intercooler cool enough or should i save and get a gtr/evo one?
thanks jeff

rowdyrotary
(5/27/01 6:04:59 pm)
  Re: VR4 intercooler
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 GTS-T = 2L Turbo
VR4 = 2L Turbo

You'd be better off with a GTR one, or one from a similar CFM flowing truck.

V8eta
(5/27/01 7:46:26 pm)
Reply  Re: VR4 intercooler
 Would i have to bin the A/C to fit a evo or gtr one?

R32 GTR
(5/27/01 8:16:05 pm)
Reply  Re: Air cond
 GTRs have air conditioning too so a GTR ic should fit without having to bin your existing air cond.

Internal Nemesis  
(5/28/01 7:00:48 am)
 Jeff, think back to dyno day with that commondoor. He had a RB25DET with a vr4 intercooler, ran 180kw at the wheel, little or no mods. Just a thought.........

Ant

R U NUTS  
(5/28/01 7:16:34 am)
 if dat guy using it on rb25det powerplant, why not on rb20det then ? i mean, i reckon it's a good upgrade for ones on tight budget. i think not many ppl could afford gtr/custom made i/c. from the size of em, vr4's i/c is definitely bigger than gtst's & gts25t's. it's got more cooling surface too. im not sure about the cfm figure, but i know eventhough the gtst's n gts25t's i/c are small, but it flows very good.

V8eta
(5/28/01 4:28:23 pm)
 I think i might go for the VR4 one as i can always sell it if it aint workin. Its just the cost of a gtr one thats putting me off. I have seen VR4 i/c advertised for $200-250 which is alot cheaper. Might have to get one of frylines bumpers to make it fit.

R U NUTS  
(5/28/01 5:00:07 pm)
 dont think u need an aftermarket bumper to fit vr4 i/c. i've got similar one installed before and i just need to modify my std bumper a bit. but if you're planning far ahead for your future mods, go for the fryline bumper  
go go frybumperrrr... whooosshhhhh .....  

Rex  
(5/28/01 5:28:37 pm)
Reply  int
 Ah yes the VR4 intercooler - just fitted one to a mates car last month. Dont expect any huge increase in HP - boost will only be a bit crisper.

If your'e still keen on an EVO 3 intercooler theres one at a local shop here in Hamilton goin cheap I can email you the details.

the GT-R intercooler is a good option if you can get one for a fair price. I got one second hand for 800 a year ago.

lovettGTS
(5/29/01 1:42:41 pm)
Reply  Re: intercooler
 Rex,
About your passing comment on an EVO III intercooler - is that a good i/c for the RB20DET? Something close to a GTR?

TokBoy
(6/2/01 5:28:45 pm)
  Re: VR4 intercooler
 LovettGTS, you wouldnt happen to have an uncle/dad name Garry who works in Tokoroa would you

power hungry
(6/4/01 1:51:26 am)
Reply  i/c!
 hi V8eta,

The VR4 i/c is not heaps larger than the factory gtst i/c. I have a GTR R33 i/c in my R32 Gtst, and i am also using the standard m-type bumper. It cost me around $1500 for the whole job, the i/c, piping and to modify the bumper a bit. But the GTR i/c is just great and it tends to hold up the boost. Just dont expect too much HP increases at standard boost though.
If ur to run 15psi u gotta be looking at larger injectors, fuel pump, and an ecu upgrade too.
Good luck anyway!

Razor GTSt
(6/4/01 6:56:32 am)
  Re: i/c!
 I feel any front mount is going to be better than the factory one for sure providing it has a larger surface area. I managed to score a front mount designed for a twin turbo charged supra. This also provides an answer to the piping problem as it is also feed in and return on the same side. Something which the GTSt requires. The price. For the front mount, front bar (currently on a GTS4), the lot for $600. While that is a better than normal deal I feel because of the front bar I have seen simular ones in the T & C for @ $750 mark for the I/C.

Vincent Sala
SDU Sponsor Liaison
Skylines Downunder Car Club Inc.

GTS4Boy
(6/5/01 6:40:57 pm)
Reply  Re: VR4 intercooler
 Is the supra i/c alloy and has approx 5cm diameter inlet and outlet piping??