Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: HELP! Clutch dying on R33 GTR  (Read 882 times)

ph1

HELP! Clutch dying on R33 GTR
« on: June 10, 2001, 03:18:09 AM »
BABY R
(6/4/01 11:57:52 am)
  HELP! Clutch dying on R33 GTR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 I have nearly killed my clutch on my GTR yesterday at the NIZAN drags, what is the best option for me now to get it repaired? I don't want to go for some twin plate or triple plate setups yet as my car isn't producing that big amount of power. Will a heavy duty brass button friction plate do for me?
I really wanted something done before this coming sunday as i wish to run in the SDU drags. Kai, can you tell me the clutch you are using again please?

Cheers for all the help
Boost it up and rev to the red!
BABY R

R U NUTS  
(6/4/01 12:17:41 pm)
Reply  Re: HELP! Clutch dying on R33 GTR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 u can try single-plate kevlar button clutch. they're as good as brass button but gives u more drivability  

Zapf  
(6/4/01 3:59:57 pm)
  Re: HELP! Clutch dying on R33 GTR
 BabyR,
Guess what? I think my clutch is on the way out as well... Dote! found out last night while in the process of destroying a Evo5, after a bit of 4th gear while parking the car noticed a bit of clutch smell... must be slipping at high revs...

So. Yes I'll be in the market for a clutch soon. ;o) $_$

Zapf

DARREN
(6/4/01 10:14:58 pm)
 Baby R, I got advanced imports to do my clutch, they recomended a ceramic button clutch. It is nice and soft but has seroius grab. I don't know how it would cope with the drags but seems good. You can take it for a blast if you want. It only took about a day for them to fit it.

Darren

Zapf, hows the wing going ?

Zapf  
(6/4/01 11:35:59 pm)
 Hi,
Finally got my 2 level wing off. It does not have a wing at the moment, I have to get some time off to get the stands made up. Its been painted and the ends made flat. Its getting there.... slowly.

Zapf

TokBoy
(6/5/01 9:16:09 am)
 I think Kai just used ordinary GTR clutches. He;s blown 5 or maybe more in the last 2 years. I think they've saved his transmission however since they slipped a bit.

R U NUTS  
(6/5/01 10:12:24 am)
 hi darren,
u wouldnt happen to be the owner of a white r33 gtr would u ? the one in high octane 2000 ?

DARREN
(6/5/01 12:03:50 pm)
 R U NUTS, mine's the dark blue r33

R U NUTS  
(6/5/01 3:24:36 pm)
 ooppss it wasnt you then  

Blaup
Melbourne Ozzy Admin
(6/5/01 4:25:04 pm)
Reply  clutches slipping
 In my r34 gtr there is a 2 peice flywheel as well as a standard clutch, it is allowed to slip a bit, takes a lot of stress out of the drive train as far as we can tell, hopefully its good for it  
Twin plate units are also so hard to drive with.

E

BABY R
(6/5/01 4:47:04 pm)
 Thanx for all the replies guys. Went to my mechanic today and arranged to have a NISMO single plate clutch put into my car on friday. The unit comes with a NISMO lightened flywheel, and a NISMO clutch assembly. Hopefully i can have the unit run in by sunday so i can go hard at the SDU drags.!
BABY R

TokBoy
(6/5/01 5:25:32 pm)
 At last I get to see your Baby-R (well, its not really a BabyR anymore is it?)

R U NUTS  
(6/5/01 6:13:24 pm)
 nope, it's not Baby R anymore.. it's Beast R now..

RH9
(6/5/01 6:46:24 pm)
 Hey Baby R,

What is the cost of the nismo clutch (parts) and do you think he has an R32 (push type) in stock?

Cheers

BABY R
(6/5/01 7:57:12 pm)
 RH9, I think he has got a O.S Giken triple plate for a GTR which is Push type kinda clutch... but if you interested i can ask for you... its a second hand unit.

The NISMO clutch is also a second hand unit, costing me $500, both the pressure plate and the flywheel are in resonably good condition, but i will send it to the machine shop to have them both surface machined! Also a new friction plate is going in too, so the cost of the clutch unit is around $1000. but the mechanic say it will last for quite a while... so i guess its going to be ok!
BABY R