Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: C33 Laurel RB20DET  (Read 5584 times)

coldturkey

C33 Laurel RB20DET
« on: October 04, 2004, 06:43:36 PM »
Hey,
Im new to the forums here, just joined, I know its not about a skyline but it didnt seem right to put it in the offtopic section so please bare with me :P

Ok, first off I want to say that I am a skyline fan, but Laurels are like a brother to a skyline and are mechanically very similar.

Anyway so here I am, a 17 year old in my last year at high school, finally able to ditch my current car and move onto something RWD and Turbo.

I come across a C33 Laurel, with an RB20DET transplant engine, giant front mount intercooler (70ml thich), foot(hand)brake converted to normal handbrake, and a manual 5spd gearbox from a non-turbo cefiro (RB20DE, the dohc one) with a standard clutch.

The turbo engine (from a gtst skyline) was put in 2 months ago, and hasn't been certified, but has a warrant till march next year (dont ask me how he got it).

Apart from this it is a fully standard C33 Dark Green Laurel, which a straight body, no rush etc, HICAS, 2.5" exhaust, and ABS.

My main concern is that the gearbox, because its not a turbo one, is going to die.
He also told me the spark plug leads tend to melt, and this is why he has left the cover which covers them, off.

I have driven this thing and it has some serious balls....

Would buying this car be too much of a risk, and will the mechanics let me get a mechanical warranty?

Any help greatly appreciated,
Cheers,
Lawrence

stealth32

C33 Laurel RB20DET
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 08:05:18 PM »
rb20dets dont have spark plug leads, they have coil packs, but yes they do tend to die from heat, so its a good idea to leave it off. what kinda standard clutch does it have? gts or gtst? if its a gts clutch it wont last long.im running a gts box with no problems yet.but you might have to replace it if  ur gonna get more power.only buy a car u can afford to maintain...

for more info on C33s go to http://www.d1nz.org.nz/forum then look under technical nissan :)

Flux

C33 Laurel RB20DET
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 08:40:50 PM »
I too have a GTS(rb20de) gearbox with a HD clutch on my rb20det. It has run fine for over a year as a turbo now and 4 months as a GTS, 10 PSI (upwards of 14 if there is a Honda near by) and has done over 200,000k's

So they seem to last IMO.....

Never had any issues with it, Its not the speed the gearbox cant handle, its the torque that kills them.

Im sticking with mine untill i NEED to upgrate to a T box.

As with most parts, they last as long as you take care of them. This means being serviced and not dropping the clutch at 6000 rpm's at every set of lights.......
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 08:52:34 PM by NZ_Flux »

coldturkey

C33 Laurel RB20DET
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 06:01:58 PM »
Sounds good, if I bought it I would probably upgrade brakes and hubs to gtst 5 stud, and lower the car before I got a cert. to save money, its got a warrant untill march next year.
Im not sure about clutch, but I think its a gtst one, it will pay to find out.

coldturkey

C33 Laurel RB20DET
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 06:05:24 PM »
Oh, how much are the coil packs to replace, or the leads, or whatever. Wouldnt have a clue :P

Zanthiath

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dimension7.co.nz
C33 Laurel RB20DET
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 07:06:59 PM »
As far as i know you shouldnt need a cert.
The car is a factory rb25, rb20det same power relatively.
Unless you incress displacement dont need a cert if bolts straight in. Ive just done the rb20det into my c33 laurel, plus other mods.
As long as you dont go thrashing the gearbox and tryn 2 launch it should be fine.

pure methamphunmachine
Team Sleeper

coldturkey

C33 Laurel RB20DET
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 07:29:16 PM »
Originally posted by Zanthiath
As far as i know you shouldnt need a cert.
The car is a factory rb25, rb20det same power relatively.
Unless you incress displacement dont need a cert if bolts straight in. Ive just done the rb20det into my c33 laurel, plus other mods.
As long as you dont go thrashing the gearbox and tryn 2 launch it should be fine.

The car was an RB20DE. The guy told me it would need a cert for 25% power increase..?

Zanthiath

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
C33 Laurel RB20DET
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 08:46:17 PM »
That is true for that. But its easily by passed as not many people pick 25% increase. Its still in the correct displacement, which is the major area.
For after market ecu's in turbo it now requires a cert.
I passed at a testin station with a rb20det, worked cefiro which was a rb20e.
All depends where u go, id say if your interested buy the car and save for a cert if your concerned. If your gonna mod more wait then cert.
How many turbo cars out there have increased over 25% with a cert, not many.

pure methamphunmachine
Team Sleeper

Flux

C33 Laurel RB20DET
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 08:46:35 PM »
25% is correct. The brakes are also very important although the non-Mspec gtst came with brakes much the same as a GTS/Laurel/cefiro. So they should be fine. I dont have a cert and never been asked for one, most people dont notice considering the engine is made to fit the frame its currently in. it looks somewhat natural. Bar the FMIC.....

I never had issues getting a warrant without a cert either.

I was under the impression, changing the hubs and brakes to 5 stud is a mission, you need the diff, the half shafts, the brakes, hubs, cylinders.. etc tec.
I assume at least :)

I jsut went with a cefiro LSD diff which bolts right up (a hicas one that is) and left the 4 stud hubs.
Just means spending some money on getting some new decent brakes pads and have the rotors slotted or get some made that are slotted (might be cheaper all round to do this but depends who you know)

A cert is more or less a one off payment for all the mod's done. So do ya mod's then get a cert else you might be paying $350ish each time you want to get another part cert'ed
So at times it pays to not get one, finish the mod's then go.....
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 08:53:10 PM by NZ_Flux »

Zanthiath

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
C33 Laurel RB20DET
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 08:53:27 PM »
If need questions on converting a laurel, just done all that.
rb20det, 5spd, fmic, 5 stud, 3 5/8" exhaust.
Hopefully have it a this saturdays meet

pure methamphunmachine
Team Sleeper

coldturkey

C33 Laurel RB20DET
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 09:27:44 PM »
Originally posted by Zanthiath
If need questions on converting a laurel, just done all that.
rb20det, 5spd, fmic, 5 stud, 3 5/8" exhaust.
Hopefully have it a this saturdays meet

How much did it cost to get the hubs changed to 5 stud?
I pressumed that GTST parts bolted straight on to cefiro/skyline/laurel, but I guess its different for the brakes? So you just have the standard brakes?

Does anyone know how much it costs to replace the coil packs, or just the leads?

The engine bay in this laurel has been completely stripped of everything un-nessecary like air con, etc. If it does need a cert to get future warrants, is it straightforward to get?

Zanthiath

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
C33 Laurel RB20DET
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 08:13:57 PM »
Ive stripped out my air con, more air 2 radiator, less weight.
The rear end of a 32 gts-t bolts right end, whole sub frame, with hicas lock arms.
Front end is the silvia 5 stud hubs, with gts-t disc and callipers, bolts straight up.
Cert will be straight 4wd as 2 get.

pure methamphunmachine
Team Sleeper

coldturkey

C33 Laurel RB20DET
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 08:36:50 PM »
Zanthiath, the speedo is out by 10km because of the different ratios of the auto and manual diffs, is yours like this? how can this be fixed?

F4llen

C33 Laurel RB20DET
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 09:45:02 AM »
you will need to get your speedo recalibrated, its the same as mine..i just dont worry about it because of the cost.

Zanthiath

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
C33 Laurel RB20DET
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 12:43:45 PM »
I changed the whole entire rear subframe with the r32 gts-t one.
So have the skyline diff.
Easy way 2 fix, use a skyline lsd.
Otherwise have to remember when you see that speed camera or police officer.

pure methamphunmachine
Team Sleeper