Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: SAFC Questions  (Read 1040 times)

25T_Sedan

SAFC Questions
« on: December 31, 2004, 12:56:10 PM »
I think i can get an APEXi SAFC ii for a good price and was just wondering if someone could tell me exactly how it works and what you can and cant do with it.  Is it easy to install and tune?

My car is a s1 r33 rb25det, standard turbo, standard injectors, standard fuel pump, large FMIC, Front facing plenum, HKS EVC3 Boost Controller, Cold Air Intake, Cat-Back 3 inch stainless steel zorst (soon to be straight off the turbo).

I dont know anything about this unit but have heard of people using it on Skylines with some good results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

krayton

SAFC Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 08:12:13 PM »
id also like some input from anyone using it.

i was worried it might screw around with the ecu or something.

stix2

SAFC Questions
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 01:34:05 AM »
you can alter the mix in the car throughout the rev range by tricking the Air flow meter eg adding or reducing the signal the ECU receives from the meter and in turn the computer will adjust the mix to suit. so if you go and whack some bigger injectors on or a new fuel pump. with a good oxy sensor you can tune your car. this unit is not as good as a full aftermarket ecu. but you get the functionality of the factory ECU with the ability for more mods.

also it has quite a few bonus features....

even on a standard car you can get get some power gain as skylines run really rich at the top end.. but be careful..... engines can expire.. and detonation can be a very fine line..... so I would recommend getting this done on a dyno...... but with your existing mods and a few upgrades in the turbo and fuel area you should be able to pile on another 75 to 100hp for less than $2k... $550 if you know where to go for a hybrid turbo setup , $500 for injectors , $500 for fuel pump and $500 to set the stuff up... I would say your car will be a rocket!!

25T_Sedan

SAFC Questions
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 09:39:43 AM »
Thanks a lot Stix2 I appreciate your input,

So what your saying is that its not as good as an aftermarket ecu but for what i have should be all good???

Another question that i have is, can you run a rising rate FPR with a standard computer???

stix2

SAFC Questions
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 11:47:38 AM »
like a malpassi... no........... not like one with an odd increase ratio..... go and get a nismo one and have your Safc up your sleeve

25T_Sedan

SAFC Questions
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 03:47:29 PM »
da fpr that i was thinking of getting is a malpassi 1:1 ratio one would this work??

tigermm

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
SAFC Questions
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 11:54:47 AM »
The stock FPR is already a 1:1 ratio. What you want is an adjustable one (like Nismo) to bump up the base pressure.
R32 GTS4 + RB25DET = FUN :)

GTR Shop

SAFC Questions
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 02:02:15 AM »
Std fuel pressure, small front mount, 11(ish) psi and S-AFC2 will net you around 220-225kw ATW.
Also gets rid of most of the flat spot on cam changeover.

25T_Sedan

SAFC Questions
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 05:17:58 PM »
My car was converted to manual.

Would an SAFC2 suit a auto ecu or do i have to change the ecu to manual and then wire in the SAFC2??

samos69

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
SAFC Questions
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 06:21:04 PM »
You can keep your ecu - it will work with both, but the ecu's are almost identical anyway as you have a dedicated auto ecu in your drivers kickpanel...
Sam

Beginning build phase S1DWYZ MkII in progress.

powerSeeker

Re: SAFC Questions
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 06:04:23 PM »
Originally posted by 25T_Sedan
I think i can get an APEXi SAFC ii for a good price and was just wondering if someone could tell me exactly how it works and what you can and cant do with it.  Is it easy to install and tune?

My car is a s1 r33 rb25det, standard turbo, standard injectors, standard fuel pump, large FMIC, Front facing plenum, HKS EVC3 Boost Controller, Cold Air Intake, Cat-Back 3 inch stainless steel zorst (soon to be straight off the turbo).

I dont know anything about this unit but have heard of people using it on Skylines with some good results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I HAVE ONE
WHAT EVER YOU DO DONT USE THIS IN A R33 TURBO'S , I HAVE ONE ALL IT DOES IS MAKE CAR RUN LEAN. STOCK R33 ECU AND ONLY TAKE +- 10% POWER INCREASE

SAVE MONEY AND BUY AFTER MARKET USE IF YOUR AFTER POWER. If car is stock. your stock ecu will do the job.

bluntsmoker

SAFC Questions
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 06:36:14 PM »
I have heard of good results from several people using these in R33 GTS-Ts.  However I was told by Gizzmo that you can run into trouble with detonation due to them only altering the AFM signal and nothing else.  IMHO you would be better off getting a R32 GTS-T ECU from a wrecker and having it chipped and tuned for your car.  (this is because the R33 ECU is not able to be modified).

:mexican:

V8eta

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
SAFC Questions
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 08:32:00 AM »
Powerseeker, that aint the unit, thats the tuner. SAFC's work very well in all lightly modified cars ive seen.
Ver 3 WRX STi type RA racer