Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Rb20det and 5spd in S13?  (Read 5596 times)

d_style

Rb20det and 5spd in S13?
« on: January 05, 2005, 09:50:59 PM »
I was recently involved in an accident (mostly not my fault) which has ended up basically wiritng my skyline off. I was wondering wat is involved in puting my engine and trans into an s13 with hubs and diff too.??? I know i need the skyline crossmember but does everything basically bolt up?

cwald240sx

Rb20det and 5spd in S13?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 03:54:38 PM »
The skyline crossmember is the wrong way to go.  It sets the engine too high and forward.  And the tranny bracket will only bolt with two holes.  Get a set of S13--RB20DET conversion mounts.  The engine will sit lower and in the correct position  for the tranny to line up with the shifter hole and the S13 driveshaft will then slip right in.  The GTS-T intercooler piping will all fall right into place once you cut the hole in the fender (if not already there)  After that its a fairly simple wire job... 4 or 5 in the engine bay and 9 or 10 in the kick panel at the ECU.  Remove the clutch fan and strap on a couple of electrics and you are ready to go.  And go it will.  Mine ran a 13.73 @104 (2.6 60ft :o ) on 1bar and a pod and 80mm exhaust.  Spinning all the way to 3rd.

If you go the crossmember route.  You will have to cut the bracing from under the hood/bonnet and probably make a driveshaft.  Also the electric fans will have to go on the fron of the radiator.

Is a VERY simple conversion.  Well worth it!!!

GT-R Ben

Rb20det and 5spd in S13?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 04:29:34 PM »
See with those engine mounts your GTS-T sump must get pretty close to the steering rack as there is physically no more room with the SR-RB cross member, except the actual mounting position is in a different place. You could possibly go down 10mm or so which would help clear the bonnet.

I have measured it up with a SR and RB crossmember and I think using an RB cross member and then modding it slightly to lower the engine would be the cheapest method. If you go down enough you can possibly go back also as mentioned. But I think modding the RB engine mounts would be less work than making new ones to fit the SR cross member.. as they are very different in position. 4cyl-6cyl.

I am going far more extreme at the moment, and actually considering lowering the complete from crossmember.. as well as a few other things to fit my motor.. :/

d_style

Rb20det and 5spd in S13?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 05:27:41 PM »
these rb20det  - s13 engine mounts, can u already buy them pre made? If so where and how much? I'll have the whole vehicle as a donor so how much $$ will i have to spend after that to get  the engine in and car going?

cwald240sx

Rb20det and 5spd in S13?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 02:28:54 AM »
Mckinney motors in the US has them but are WAY too expensive...  they are on crack!  There is also a guy that sells them on ebay (search RB20DET with desciptions checked).  He sells his for about $250 US with a tranny mount as well.  We had to slightly massage the front of the sump as it was rubbing the sway bar.  Not much at all though.

After that the install is free, except fluids.  You should have everything else.  I spent about $1000US, but I added an expensive BOV and a front mount and pretty bits.

s14-240

rb20det in s13
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 06:30:55 AM »
well, the rb20 in my s14 was really easy, and I used the r32 x member. I made motor mounts that lowered the motor and moved it back the desired length. Everything cleared perfectly, and I mean perfect. the stock driveshaft fit great, only problem was the tranny mount. I just made one of those too. All the mounts were really simple to design, and cost about $20 for everything. You wouldn't even need a welder. PM me if you like and i'll give you the deminsions to the mounts. Oh, and yes the swap is well worth it, mine hauls ass with only a front mount, pod filter, and exhaust. I beat an s13(lighter car) with an rb25(bigger motor) and a small t3 upgrade(z31 maybe? anyway, bigger and on a little more boost) by a little bit. granted he wasn't the greatest driver, but he ran a 13.5 at our crappy track, so that's like a 13.2 for my car anywhere else. all hail the rb20!!!! definitely do it.
Walter

GT-R Ben

Re: rb20det in s13
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 11:24:52 AM »
Originally posted by s14-240
well, the rb20 in my s14 was really easy, and I used the r32 x member. I made motor mounts that lowered the motor and moved it back the desired length. Everything cleared perfectly, and I mean perfect. the stock driveshaft fit great, only problem was the tranny mount. I just made one of those too. All the mounts were really simple to design, and cost about $20 for everything. You wouldn't even need a welder. PM me if you like and i'll give you the deminsions to the mounts. Oh, and yes the swap is well worth it, mine hauls ass with only a front mount, pod filter, and exhaust. I beat an s13(lighter car) with an rb25(bigger motor) and a small t3 upgrade(z31 maybe? anyway, bigger and on a little more boost) by a little bit. granted he wasn't the greatest driver, but he ran a 13.5 at our crappy track, so that's like a 13.2 for my car anywhere else. all hail the rb20!!!! definitely do it.
Walter

I would be intereted in the design of the mounts to drop and move the engine back.

Did you do it by trial and error or work out the angles etc before making the mounts?

s14-240

Rb20det and 5spd in S13?
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 05:33:03 PM »
I worked out the angles first, made a few small assumptions, and they came out fine. I'm working on a description right now, it is hard to do without pics so its taking me a little while. PM me your email if you want the info, or I may just post it.
Walter

GTR Shop

Rb20det and 5spd in S13?
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 12:35:50 AM »
You can use std RB X-Member and still run elec puller fans with no probs.
Most guys in the US use a mount kit due to turbo vs steering colum (sp?) issues
Trim the bonnet frame 100mm or $250us for mounts.... easy decision in my mind... ;)

s14-240

Rb20det and 5spd in S13?
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 03:21:34 AM »
Or I'll give you the measurements and you won't hit anything, even the hood. You will not have to trim anything. I have two fal elec 10'' fans, they clear fine, and the steering rack is avoided. No need for a mount kit. Do not buy a mount kit. NEVER, well, maybe not never, but certainly not for this project. And you will still use the stock(rb) xmember, not the sr one.

GT-R Ben

Rb20det and 5spd in S13?
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 09:41:41 AM »
Well I have decided it's not going to help me much anyway.. I can only go down 10-15mm.. and I need 40mm or so.
Will just have to do the bonnet.. going to be interesting.

I have started modding a GTR box to use in 2WD also.

s14-240

Rb20det and 5spd in S13?
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 11:32:43 AM »
Why do you need the motor lowered so much? What car are you doing it in? The only way a motor could be that tall is if you had a different oil sump and it was an rb30 or something?? What car is it going in, s13??
Walter

smokey hayes

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/smokeyhayes
Rb20det and 5spd in S13?
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 12:06:50 PM »
Walter look at Ben's signature dude!
d_style: most of the parts bolt up but you need different front hubs if you want 5stud

GT-R Ben

Rb20det and 5spd in S13?
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 01:44:51 PM »
Originally posted by s14-240
Why do you need the motor lowered so much? What car are you doing it in? The only way a motor could be that tall is if you had a different oil sump and it was an rb30 or something?? What car is it going in, s13??
Walter

:laugh:

RB30DET in S13.

Lowered 10mm and a mad bonnet, should do it just fine..

s14-240

Rb20det and 5spd in S13?
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 05:07:00 PM »
Uh yeah about the profile:D maybe I could have checked that first.....
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 05:09:13 PM by s14-240 »