Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Went up against a Ferrari 360 Modena F1 yesterday..  (Read 1055 times)

rasonline

• RB20E
    • View Profile
    • http://
Went up against a Ferrari 360 Modena F1 yesterday..
« on: August 08, 2005, 10:33:20 PM »
The cars:
R32 GTR – Stock turbos, Stock injectors, Stock AFMS, 0.7 bar boost. Only mods are Kakimoto Exhaust and Apexi air filters. I think the car may have a competition racing clutch.

Ferrari 360 Modena F1 gearbox and Tubi exhaust. Not sure if he had any other mods but not likely.

The race:
Unfortunately wasn’t a start off the line, cos I’m sure I would have managed to get a jump on him if we did.

Waiting at an intersection to turn across traffic and noticed a 360 in my mirror. Turned across traffic and coasting along at 3,000 rpm waiting for him to come. He made the turn. I was now about 50m down the road. The jerk didn’t come side by side with me but he floored it from the back. While I was waiting for him to make the turn my revs dropped to about 2,500rpm… not the best place to be for a dice.

Anyway, he already had a ~1sec head start on me AND I had to floor it from 2,500rpm. Got into boost just as he approached my back bumper. By the end of my 1st gear we were still running bodywork. I changed into 2nd gear as he was already about ½ way through his 2nd gear. My drivers window was open – bad move…!!! That friggin TUBI exhaust deafened me especially more because when he changed into 3rd, his back bumper was now by my front wheel arch.

When I got into 3rd gear he managed to pull about a foot in front of my front bumper but the gap wasn’t opening up much anymore… in fact it seemed like it may have been levelling out. However, we were now getting close to 160km/h and coming up on some cars at a Sunday picnic lake/garden so I backed off.

We had a perfect clear stretch ahead but the bugger turned off into a sideroad. Wimp.

Verdict:
I was really surprised cos I thought the 360 should have toasted me, seeing as I’m running a stock GTR, and gearchanging at 7,000 rpm. In all fairness to him though, we are running at 1,700 m above sea-level which does give the turbo car the advantage as N/A tune cars lose more power at the altitude than forced induction would.

Having seen the way he accelerated off the line, I am confident though that I would have been able to get a decent jump on him if we had to race from the lights.

Request:
As there are probably only about 4 or 5 GTRs in South Africa at the moment, I don’t have any yardstick to measure against. Was this a fair performance, was I supposed to have been toasted, or am I running below potential?

One thing is for sure… I’m now more convinced than ever about getting me an FCON V-Pro, AEM AFR Wideband Gauge and a Blitz Boost Controller..!!
RAS.
racing improves the breed

SkylineObsession

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 12:23:12 AM »
Awesome. :) :cool:

You kept up with him because the R32 GT-R is a seriously awesome car. :D

Anguss

• Global Moderator
  • RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 07:54:31 AM »
Fact is he was illegally racing (unless what he was doing is legal in South Africa) lol.
Have moved here but it doesn't bother me if you's want it moved back!
Regards,
Angus.

brendonm

• Founder/Webmaster
  • SDU Member
  • RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.skylinesdownunder.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 08:54:28 PM »
Cheers Angus, I am not fussed either way, I think you have done the right thing because we certainly don't want to be promoting illegal driving even if it is a generally lawless country anyway.

I have driven a Ferrari Modena 360, in fact I hosted it at the NZ National Motorshow this year. It's a nice machine and very quick indeed. They have a very similar 1/4mile time to a GTR stock standard. Thing is that they are't really to be compared as they are so different and the owner did'nt buy it solely on speed.
Brendon Moses
Founder

Skylinesdownunder

mrmeal

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 09:33:26 PM »
yeah I think leave it here.  Well my opinion anyway.  MOst readers are in this part of the world and will immediately relate to the event under our road conditions and law.  Lets not let one past the goalie just because it might be okay over there.  But as I say that's my feeling :)
If you try and don\'t succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.

---------------------------------------------------
http://nzhondas.com
http://www.rotarymotion.co.nz/forum/
Team Geezer

SkylineObsession

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 05:07:16 PM »
Yeah it was probably a good choice moving it. :) :cool: