Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: How to "run in" a new motor  (Read 3523 times)

darkness

• Administrator
  • RB26DETT
    • View Profile
How to "run in" a new motor
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 01:51:20 PM »
ok everyone can knock it off.

IIIRII and RS-01, how bout you just post what your advice for running in an engine is, rather than just calling someone elses advice crap.

besides I thought you left.
AFK.

IIIRII

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 02:09:23 PM »
Sorry Darkness I have an over whelming desire to help people who genuinely need it ..
happy to leave if you would like .....

RS-01

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 07:59:24 PM »
Just out of curiosity BCNR34 , how is your engine going ?
Hows its vacuum ?
How much of it did you actually assemble yourself ?
So RIPS IIIRII both say you are wrong eh ... weird that ...
Anyway , the mototuneusa guy is onto it ....unlike you.

RIPS

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://rips@inspire.net.nz
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 09:41:24 AM »
I agree with the Mototune guy.

It all comes down to:

Pussy it = lower power, blow by, oil contamination etc

Drive it hard = More power, clean efficient pistons and an engine that will in fact last alot longer than a pussy run in motor.

As I said above "think about what you are actually trying to achieve" with the run in "GETTING THE RINGS TO SEAL AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!"

The more boost or NOS you can throw at a motor early in its life the better I say.

I'm not saying someone's ideas/methods are wrong, Everyone has there own idea's, each to there own but there is alot of logic in the drive it hard method and its sure worked for me :D , My 2c.........Rob
RIPS Racing
Worlds most powerfull RB30s, 7.8 @ 177mph in 240z and 7.26 @ 181mph in FED
Worlds quickest R34 street GTR, Worlds quickest 240z
RIPS FED current NZ record for DD/D with a 7.26 @ 181mph
PLEASE DON\'T PM ME, e-mail me
http://www.ripsracing.com  e-mail rips@inspire.net.nz

||R3CON|R33

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2005, 11:27:43 AM »
Well. I had no idea this would turn into a wank fest. To all who posted constructive stuff thanks alot. I checked out the mototune link. Thanks for that. I think im all right. I couldnt resist once or twice giving it a bit of stick, I doubt it has been run as hard as is recommended, but everything seems to be goin well.

I quote directly " Fortunately, most new sportbike owners can't resist the urge to "open it up" once or twice, which is why more engines don't have this problem !! "

By the way Rob, can you gimme a exceptionally good price on a GTSlink and tune? ;)

IIIRII

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 11:57:17 AM »
A really common way used to be , start it drive it under say 3000 rpm for the first 100 k then up to 4000 rpm for the next 200 then up to 5000 etc: untill you had done around 800 to 1000 ks and reached it's redline...replace oil .
And it is very important to load it up but not to strain it, so drive firmly and up hills etc: without labouring it.
Basically light loads and gradually give it more an more stick ....
Driving it under 4000 for 5000ks would wreck it and be completely unneccesary.
IMHO ....
:)

pure_methamphetamachine

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://geocities.com/psyminr34
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2005, 02:12:57 PM »
Engine runs like a dream.  It is going in for its tune next Friday with new injectors etc. I disconnected the turbos so I could do 100% throttle to fully load the engine without forced induction. Taylor Automotive assembled the head as I did not have the tools. I did the everything else, including a full custom fuel system.

Originally quoted by mototuneusa.com

Because of the wind resistance, you don't need to use higher gears like you would on a dyno machine. The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear

Which is why I did 3,000km at night flooring it from 80 to 120km/h, then hard braking back to 80, flooring it to 120... Open throttle. Fully loaded.

From 3,000 - 4,000km it was taken up to 5,000RPM

Now I am boosting it as it is worn in.

It uses and burns no oil.
It uses and loses no water.

There is another very prodominant factor here: LONGEVITY. If you cane an engine from the start it's longevity will be depleted. This will not be apparant for a very long time, like 80,000km. If you have a race engine, then you want max power and the longevity of the engine is not of such concern.

Me, however, I want the longevity. I do not care about a few little horsepower lost as I am after longevity, which I presume most other people who have a street daily driver are too.

Now mototuneusa.com is bike freak. Although bikes and cars have piston engines, there two major differences:

The weight and the rev range.

As a car weighs 1,200 - 1,600km, and a bike only a few hundred, the load generated on a car engine is far greater than that on a bike engine even at a ratio'd rpm (until very very high revs).

Load is an integral of work.
Work is an integral of power.
Power is an integral of force.

So you can generate a greater force / work / load on a car engine at 4,000 rpm than you do on a bike engine at 4,000rpm. As a result, you need to rev the bike engine substancially higher.

But like I said, the run in process I gave was first hand from three very experienced engine builders who advised that way for the LONGEVITY of the engine.
pure methamphetamachine
Team Sleeper
580.5kW @ Wheels

RIP Chris Leicester.
25 / 11 / 2007
I will never forget.
I will always keep my promise.

pure_methamphetamachine

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2005, 02:32:34 PM »
Engine runs like a dream.  It is going in for its tune next Friday with new injectors etc. I disconnected the turbos so I could do 100% throttle to fully load the engine without forced induction. Taylor Automotive assembled the head as I did not have the tools. I did the everything else, including a full custom fuel system.

Originally quoted by mototuneusa.com

Because of the wind resistance, you don't need to use higher gears like you would on a dyno machine. The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear

Which is why I did 3,000km at night flooring it from 80 to 120km/h, then hard braking back to 80, flooring it to 120... Open throttle. Fully loaded.

From 3,000 - 4,000km it was taken up to 5,000RPM

Now I am boosting it as it is worn in.

It uses and burns no oil.
It uses and loses no water.

There is another very prodominant factor here: LONGEVITY. If you cane an engine from the start it's longevity will be depleted. This will not be apparant for a very long time, like 80,000km. If you have a race engine, then you want max power and the longevity of the engine is not of such concern.

Me, however, I want the longevity. I do not care about a few little horsepower lost as I am after longevity, which I presume most other people who have a street daily driver are too.

The run in process I gave was first hand from three very experienced engine builders who advised that way for the LONGEVITY of the engine.
pure methamphetamachine
Team Sleeper
580.5kW @ Wheels

RIP Chris Leicester.
25 / 11 / 2007
I will never forget.

IIIRII

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2005, 03:50:35 PM »
If I ever need any help from someone driving an automatic stationwagon on biulding engines and running them in , you will be the first person I think of.

"then again under your alias so you can lick your own arse, then again under yet another alias, to have a one man self help orgy."

Nice one can you read this please

http://www.skylinesdownunder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45845

Look in the mirror and take your hand off your dick ...

I have never posted anything about how wonderfull I am and never will.

Oh and ps you are still 100% wrong on what you say about longevity by running in using your system.
You will still be wrong after replying to this post btw ...

pps  ""When I grow a real penis, I'll get a real car"
LOL .....from a station wagon driver thats funny .....

RIPS

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://rips@inspire.net.nz
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2005, 04:14:34 PM »
Once again it comes back to personal views.
80,000km is not hard to get from an engine that is run in pretty hard.

At the end of the day, most guy's won't even keep a car for 80,000km, long since sold it or crashed it.

Something else no-one has mentioned yet is the fact that you can actually buy pistons with small ports from the crown (top) of the piston to the back of the top ring land to put EVEN MORE pressure on the ring, over and above what normal boosted combustion pressure gives all in a quest for better run in, sealing and the resulting power you get from doing it.

bcnr34, I'm sure your motor will be fine.
RIPS Racing
Worlds most powerfull RB30s, 7.8 @ 177mph in 240z and 7.26 @ 181mph in FED
Worlds quickest R34 street GTR, Worlds quickest 240z
RIPS FED current NZ record for DD/D with a 7.26 @ 181mph
PLEASE DON\'T PM ME, e-mail me
http://www.ripsracing.com  e-mail rips@inspire.net.nz

IIIRII

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2005, 05:36:08 PM »
RIPS
Bill Jenkins "Building Chevrolet Engines" written in 1976 shows how to do that ...
Problem is getting the right combination of increased pressure vs whoops she rooted .. :)

pure_methamphetamachine

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2005, 09:18:47 PM »

Originally posted by ARSE-01

If I ever need any help from someone driving an automatic stationwagon on biulding engines and running them in , you will be the first person I think of.

"then again under your alias so you can lick your own arse, then again under yet another alias, to have a one man self help orgy."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for so beautifully displaying your sheer lack of knowledge.

260RS's never came out in automatic.

You fukctard.

Enlighten me, in that thread, exactly where did I log in "as an alias"? I only have one log in.

And why are you thinking about MY dick?

And I never said I could biuld an engine. I have, however, built one.

So I am wrong.
Soishi is wrong.
Mark is wrong.
Barry is wrong.

We can fix that by learning.

You will always be a cantankerous pseudo feminising male hermaphrodite.

If you truly want to be helpful, you might want to take note of RIPS. At least he is constructive and informative on a difference of opinion. Not just saying pointless **** like:

Do Not Do What Bcnr Said !!!!
Thats complete ****
pure methamphetamachine
Team Sleeper
580.5kW @ Wheels

RIP Chris Leicester.
25 / 11 / 2007
I will never forget.

pure_methamphetamachine

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2005, 09:43:46 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for so beautifully displaying your sheer lack of knowledge.

260RS's never came out in automatic.

Ouch...

Enlighten me, in that thread, exactly where did I log in "as an alias"? I only have one log in.

And why are you thinking about MY dick?

And I never said I could biuld an engine. I have, however, built one.

So I am wrong.
Soishi is wrong.
Mark is wrong.
Barry is wrong.

We can fix that by learning.

You will always be a cantankerous pseudo feminising male hermaphrodite.

If you truly want to be helpful, you might want to take note of RIPS. At least he is constructive and informative on a difference of opinion. Not just saying pointless **** like:

Do Not Do What Bcnr Said !!!!
Thats complete ****
pure methamphetamachine
Team Sleeper
580.5kW @ Wheels

RIP Chris Leicester.
25 / 11 / 2007
I will never forget.

Gzzmos

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2005, 09:53:14 PM »
i think you boys need to clam down alittle....

there will always be different points of view on how things are done. just get over it please and let the rest of us get on with it.

if there are any problems with each take the out of the forums where the puplic dont read it.  :idea:  AS I DO NOT PUT UP WITH THIS!  :splat:  ITS NOT A PISSING CONTEST!

now about the about this post if you need to know info on anything and you have conflicking storys ring a few performance/reco shops and have a listen to what they say. i am too in the middle of buliding a motor and finding all this out as i go.

IIIRII

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2005, 08:13:23 AM »
Ok Sorry , I stand corrected on what your car is, I guess I should have read the post you started on how fantastic you are a bit better.
Do you need a pillow to see over the steering wheel or is that someone else in the drivers seat ?
You go on posting what you think ,as clearly you have vastly superior knowledge of things mechanical.
Keep up the good work , love the sig its a perfect way of advertising what you are.