Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Stolen GTR's being reclaimed  (Read 718 times)

MarioGTR

Stolen GTR's being reclaimed
« on: November 03, 2001, 03:01:41 PM »
Well, it's finally started to happen here in Australia.

Without mentioning any names, there are two cases that I know of at this moment where people have had their cars repossesed by police as they've been rebirthed and then imported into Australia.

This happened in the UK a few months back and it looks like the Japanese insurance companies are finally here in Australia.  

If you've got an import (they're mainly after GTR's, as they're expensive and worth chasing, but also other imports).

Looks like we'll soon be seeing just how 'legit' many of these car importers are pretty soon, eh?

Mario.

DAn DOOORift

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2001, 03:09:31 PM »
Finally a bit of order to the system.

Hope this does eliminate all the non-legit cars and half cut cars.

Blaup

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2001, 03:11:48 PM »
And no people wonder why i was so paranoid about where my cars come from, i always traced there history and checked chasis numbers etc in japan, checked if they had ever had any paint work done, especially the firewall.

You would be surprised i know about 1 car that was nabbed about 6-8 months ago as soon as it landed at the dealers door.

E

whatsisname

Good to see
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2001, 05:18:23 PM »
This is a very good thing, hopefully it'll clean up some of the shonky importers.

I've first hand witnessed a very bad cut'n'shut. It was a yellow 95-96 GTS25t, a mate bought it, but after going right over it (full inspection report) found LOTS!!! wrong, luckily he was able to get his $$$ back (should've done the checking first but you know how it is sometimes) the car is probably resold by now, new owner probably doesn't even know & maybe wouldn't care either, but just think of the potential for major injuries in a crash, due to inferior welding/repairs. What I don't understand is, how did this car pass compliance???????

I've always been a bit suss on some of the importers out there.

kabab

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2001, 05:24:03 PM »
If you have bought a stolen import without knowing what happens do you get your money back from the dealer or something or is all lost ??

whatsisname

You lose out big time!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2001, 05:38:08 PM »
Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure, that if it turns out that the car you've bought is a rebirth/stolen etc.. it's bye bye car & bad luck for you:(

However if the car was purchased through an importer I'd tip there'd be an avenue for getting money back.

I'm sure Mario would have better knowledge on this one.

Blaup

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2001, 05:52:18 PM »
I have a feeling your right.
Remember a current affair report on stolen cars, even though the new owners called the stolen vehicles regsiter etc and then later the cops found there car was stolen they took it away.
So how is it an owner who does everything in there power to ensure it isn't stolen or have money oweing and they end up with no car anyway, raw end of the deal really.

btw: if you re-birth a car correctly, ie use a old smashed car or whatever then no worries should never be noticed, you should never get picked up.

E

ultim8DTM5

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2001, 05:56:47 PM »
there is definately an avenue!

the motor dealers and repairers act provides very harsh penalties for such action, and if this happens to ANYONE immediately complain to the industry ombudman and, although you will have to go through a tribunal (not a court), chances are the dealer will lose their license to operate.

this is good as you get your money back and no one else can be screwed over by dodgy dealers

:splat:

ph1

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2001, 06:07:35 PM »
i heard today one of the cars in question was the blue r34 at the oran park track day and front cover of latest zoom mag.

as i understand the japanese insurance companies give you the option of paying 50% of what they value the car as and keeping the car, or having it repossed.

ultim8DTM5

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2001, 07:08:07 PM »
dude that would suck!

MR-GTR

GTR's
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2001, 07:21:14 PM »
Well its about time , I have stopped buying cars from auctions,as so many cars are rebirthed and "flushed" through the auction system, I only buy  from dealers and Nismo and Nissan finance. these cars are protected and have full documentation, yes I pay a little more but I will never have a car seized by police as all my cars have history. Some Aussie dealers will disagree with me so watch the ones that critisise and watch the cars from auction, theres no gaurantee with them , they state that there is but wait till it happens and watch the excuses flow. you will be left all on your own, and you will loose your money and thats fact !!!! . I was in Nagoya recently and saw 6 cars destined for Australia (Sydney) . they were seized by police at the docks and all were purchased from auction.
Regards
Steve (MR-GTR)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2001, 02:19:00 PM by MR-GTR »