Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: ....................  (Read 3229 times)

Chang

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« on: September 29, 2008, 06:43:02 PM »
Big thanks to the arsewipe that stole it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:48:22 AM by Chang »

Chang

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
Chang's VH41de R34 Skyline
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 06:47:22 PM »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:48:02 AM by Chang »

[N1ZMO]

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thegarage.co.nz
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 06:59:09 PM »
Looking good Chang.
Keep it up and will look foward to your updates..
And  oh ,supercharger is ok but big turbo would be better :D
DO LUCK Kitted R32 GTR = SEX
Team RH9 Cheerleader -

Chang

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 07:00:17 PM »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:47:57 AM by Chang »

Chang

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 07:02:26 PM »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:47:53 AM by Chang »

Chang

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 07:06:57 PM »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:47:49 AM by Chang »

[N1ZMO]

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thegarage.co.nz
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 07:16:07 PM »
Well thought out is best , you are a pefectionest like me lol.

That car is going to look awesome with the GTR rims , front bumper,skirts and lip on the butt.

Will the 34R rims fit ok or will the guards need some massage work?

What are the brakes like on the n/a 2 litre?

It looks as though you have been busy already :)
DO LUCK Kitted R32 GTR = SEX
Team RH9 Cheerleader -

Chang

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 07:37:21 PM »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:47:44 AM by Chang »

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 01:27:30 AM »
Awesome project. :)

Here's a R33 Skyline with Nissan V8, etc in Auckland -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Nissan/auction-177659280.htm

Maybe it might be worth buying the car for Nissan V8, brakes, etc????

Unharmonix's V8 powered R31 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0sb2q7sfAk

Sounds awesome bouncing off the rev limiter.

Also alot fun in a Silvia with N/A Nissan V8 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bg4OPx0wTI&feature=user

You've probably seen that Silvia on Trademe.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 01:33:55 AM by gtsr »

UnharmoniX

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 11:33:57 AM »
Quote from: Chang;477067
Anyway, after a lot of research, I have come to the conclusion that it’ll be a VH41 not VH45. The plan is to put a VH41de first. Since this is no new conversion, especially in the US, a lot of off the shelf items can already be purchased for the conversion, albeit most for Silvia’s. The bell housing will be sourced from the US along with a few other bits and bob’s. Gearbox will most likely be from a Z32.
Hey man, great to see another person who has realised the potential of these awesome motors! As a moderator of the VH/VK forum on Nicoclub, the largest Nissan V8 information resource on the internet, I hope that I can provide you with a bit of advice to steer you in the right direction!

What you plan to do is a fairly new conversion, as most of the VH conversions floating around the net are into Zs or Silvias, quite different to the Skyline.

There are a couple of R33s in NZ with the VH V8, one R33 Series 1 GTS25t sedan on trademe, that was fitted with the JDM VH41DE, carbies, and coils + leads conversion, which has been for sale forever. The other one is the unfinished R33 coupe with VH45DE, also on trademe.

There's also a very fast 10 sec VH45DE powered R33 coupe in aussie, running a centrifugal supercharger and various other goodies... that thing is the goods _b

Mine's a VH41DE HR31 coupe currently undergoing a new build with VH45DE crank etc, but the HR31 is more similar to an S13 at the front end than an R32 onwards due to the different suspension type.

Due to these differences, you're venturing into relatively unexplored territory, but relax, because it's not going to be any more difficult because of that!

Firstly, there's practically no off the shelf bits available for the VH41DE... all the stuff you've seen is prob from Mazworx, from their S chassis conversion kit to suit the VH45DE! The 45 has different castings, block and heads... the mounts won't bolt up, and the headers will not bolt up either without drilling extra holes for the studs!

Also, this kit is designed to fit US LHD S13 and S14 240SX models, in which the steering column is on the other side... so the headers which are designed to fit US models, will probably interfere with parts on our RHD models!

As far as bellhousings go... the 300ZX gearbox does not have a split case bellhousing, meaning the bellhousing is part of the front half of the gearbox casing itself. Which means you must be talking about the adaptor plates that are now available... Again, these are designed to fit the 45, which has the starter motor on the other side to the 41... and although it's possible these may bolt straight up to the 41 because some of them only use the top four holes, I wouldn't be so quick to jump in and buy one made for the 45.

A guy in australia showed us his prototype for a carbon fibre (or was it fibreglass?) bellhousing to suit the JDM 41, but it was very expensive, making it a prohibitive option for all but the wealthiest of us.

After it’s all up and running, if all goes well I’m slap on a good’ol supercharger for good measure. Aim with a modest 350hp or around the 260kw mark and I’ll be happy.
With a good set of headers, the ECU tickled to add a bit of timing and pull a little bit of fuel, and some very mild cams (like a 400 dollar regrind), you'll be looking at easily over 400HP & an 8000rpm redline with no forced induction. With a supercharger at only like 6PSI, you should find yourself blasting out close to 500 or more. The heads on the VH are sick as f**k!

How are you going to tone the attention in a V8 you may ask chuckling to yourself? Let me worry about that hehe
I’m trying to minimise the whole JDM fad everyone has at the moment and actually put in a bit of euro styling into a Jappa (LMAO). I won’t be going for any outrageous URAS kit any time soon.
I love your attitude! Pretty sick of rice myself! URAS kits? :spew:

Good luck with your conversion, and whether I'm breaking any rules or not, come over and check out the VH/VK forums at Nico... they're filled with a tonne of useful resources, information and pictures researched by the members over the years, and we have a bunch of very knowledgeable and helpful members who are always happy to help out with technical questions regarding the VH and conversions. Look forward to seeing you there!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:37:11 AM by UnharmoniX »

Chang

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 12:34:37 PM »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:47:39 AM by Chang »

UnharmoniX

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 01:15:13 PM »
Quote from: Chang;477097
Just another benefit of the VH I guess, it's cost. Even if I decided to go RB25DET + RB25det gearbox, i'd still be looking at near $4-5k.
Good man!! You're making the right choice, the VH is better! You'll soon see :D

I did decide to go for the VH41 as oposed to the 45 for many reasons. I read on the forum there's just so much more complications to fitting the 45 due to the width knocking against the steering and barke booster. And I don't know about you, but I like a car to have steering and brakes.
Yeah that's cool, I wasn't advocating the 41 over the 45, just pointing out why you can't use most of the off the shelf bits! It's only the starter on the 45 that collides with the steering column, and the 45 is also no wider at the back than the 41... just the front covers are wider because of the timing chain setup. Both motors will hit the brake booster, that can't be avoided without using a modified sump and mounting the engine really low, and/or modifying the rocker cover, AND running a smaller diameter brake booster. I'm running one from an 80s Pulsar and planning to run an accumulator tank too. Should be mint :jack:

As for the gearbox. I read on the forum that your going for a W57 gearbox off a Supra? I'll do a bit more research.
My conversion has already been using the W57 gearbox... it ran fine behind the VH, but caution, my flatmate's Holden VK Commodore also runs a W57 behind it with a V8 of similar power and torque to my original stock 41, and he just totally stripped the teeth off the main shaft's drive gear because he was running slicks... so while they're a tough box and handle plenty of abuse, it may be wise to future-proof your setup by going straight for an R154 box (or as you said, a 300ZX box.)

Your help will be much appreciated UnharmoniX in this project, just please bare with my noob of a questions when the conversion actually starts. This will be my first engine conversion (by that I mean not RB in exchange for RB) so it'll be a challenge for sure.

The project will be a slow one that's for sure. I'm just currently sorting out the looks first, more interior / exterior. Then i'll focus on the engine.
Good stuff man! Just hit me up by PM or e-mail, I'll help you with even the dumbest questions as long as you're paying attention :P It's good you've been reading Nico as it pays to do your research before spending your cash! Also, don't go too hard on the exterior, like, buy your bodykits etc but don't stick em on until the conversion is done, cos there's a ****load of leaning over guards, pulling things in and out constantly etc...

Chang

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 02:10:30 PM »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:47:30 AM by Chang »

skylsh32

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 12:31:35 PM »
hey chang looks like a wicked project il have to pop around sometime and catch up. cheers Ian.

Chang

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2008, 11:29:52 AM »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:47:23 AM by Chang »