Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: SIKVLT ---VL Turbo wagon---  (Read 3445 times)

SIKVLT

• RB20E
    • View Profile
SIKVLT ---VL Turbo wagon---
« on: December 06, 2009, 11:53:41 AM »
Hey guys  
Well hope this is ok to post in here :confused:  

Still an RB but in a Holden :jack:

I'll start at the beginning as I have already done a few mods to the wag...

I bought it off Trade Me in March '07 as a white, standard factory  SL Turbo Wagon.  I was originally after a sedan and never really gave wagons any thought but liked the idea of it being a little different.  Especially the fact it was a factory turbo wagon!!!
Which with all my reseach to date has me thinking it's the only genuine wagon in NZ there has been a rumour that there was one in Chch but noone can confirm it

After winning the auction (yep good ol trade me lol) I flew down to Invercargill as fast as I could and picked up the new addition to the family, and drove it all the way back home with a grin from ear to ear !   :D  :D

Specs =

Engine = RB30ET

Trans = MX7 5 speed

Mods so far
Interior = Momo wheel,custom dash,boost gauge,fire extinguisher

Engine = Gktech noholes intercooler kit - running between 9psi to 13 psi  depending on my mood :laugh: otherwise standard

Body = calais lower door moulds,side skirts and eyelids,put universal seal in front windscreen and deleted roof strips,35% tints all round,Rolled guards

Suspension = Aftermarket front and rear swaybars,G-MAX M190 18" mags,superlow kings with shortend shocks and adjustable panhard rod  

Here she is the day I brung her home

The dash was the first thing to come out and be replaced with a customised dash from my n/a VL Calais that I was wrecking

Definately an improvement!!
Skin by Holden ..... Heart by Nissan.........

SIKVLT

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 11:56:41 AM »
Then started on the body - VL nosecone and replaced with the calais eyelids, side skirts, lower door moulds and added some super low kingsprings with shocks.  I then removed the roof racks and chrome roof strips before paint

And with the new universal seal sits alot flusher and looks the part plus is alot better than the rust breeding factory seal and plastic strips !

SIKVLT

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 11:57:49 AM »
After paint and with lower suspension ....

Standard and not so standard haha

I finally chose the mags for the wag it took about 3 months of looking for the right ones that I was happy with they are

G-MAX M190  18"
Also when it was in HYPER getting kitted out I got 35% tints alround aswell  :dude
And the mussus surpised me with a P.Plate "SIK VLT" which I was stoaked with

Then the exhaust tip was bugging the crap outta me so put on a 3" dumpy  :)

SIKVLT

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 11:58:48 AM »
Then mid 2008 the clutch decided it had enough

Did a mission and with the help of my brother pulled the gearbox out and took the flywheel away to get machined then put back together with a new exedy HD 5 puk clutch made a huge differents

Had some time to kill  so finally got around to doing the bonnet strut thing been meaning to do it for ages it only took 30mins so should've done it a long time ago haha

Put her on the dyno in dec 2008 did 140RwKw was pretty stoaked with that (and that was stock standard no cooler no extra boost)

Here's the vids of the dyno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA6dfZ6zdJs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5V5QWc4zjs

SIKVLT

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 11:59:41 AM »
Then the rocker cover got a birthday

Before

After

Got my hands on a Gktech cooler kit a no holes one which means you dont have to cut holes either side of your inner guards to run the pipes through

Just before Powercruise 2009 got some time off so went ahead and put the kit on

but with the aussie kit they like there coolers hidden from the cops I was in two minds weather to have it stealth or get a bigger cooler but as some people pointed out the wagon gets enough looks now so wasn't much point hiding the cooler lol
Hidden 600x230x76

Now with 600x300x76

SIKVLT

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 12:00:41 PM »
That pretty much brings you upto date as of now as you can see I love working on her and enjoy showing it to other people specially when it's something a little bit rare in NZ !

Anyway tell me what ya think guys I'm ok with good or bad comments

Some shots from Powercruise 2009

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 01:12:14 AM »
Good work mate. New rims transform the car. Next: an RB25 or RB26 head and MORE BOOST!

SIKVLT

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 10:09:38 PM »
Haha Knew that topic would come up ...There's a couple of reasons why I'll keep it SOHC

1- My mates that own VLTs aswell would hang me by my balls !!
2- There's so many RB30DETs now
3- Sure the 25 - 26 heads flow better but I like a tuff sohc

Plans next year fingers crossed are to source a plenum and if funds permit manifold and turbo but at the moment I just want to drive it haha

dane

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 09:09:55 AM »
Hey Dude,

I Love your VLT man it's freaking awsum! I wish my mate would put the same amount of time and money into his VL (20det) as what you put into yours. We put the motor in last year and got it running and he has'nt touched it since. Im gonna give him this link and hope that him seeing what you have done (He will literally cum in his pants ha-ha) gets him motivated.

I Say Keep the 30soc. Man, they are pulling some hearty numbers over in Auz with simple modifications.

25's 26's and 30det's have been done to death...

Ohhhh! and go the 20det's :dfinger:
12.1 @ 117 mph (RB20DET - Stock Head, Block and Intake/Exhaust Manifolds)

Still Chasing that 11. (Argh! soo close)

Lith

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://teamlurkracing.orcon.net.nz
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 12:21:57 PM »
Thats awesome man, and good on you keeping the original VLT SOHC - I've seen very few genuines here and get a kick whenever one pops up.  Have you hit the dyno with the new fmic etc?
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
  --  Socrates

... thanks for all the fish

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 06:05:41 PM »
That is one very tidy Holden! Nice to see its in such original condition too. My guess is you will be looking towards aussie to find a plenum? Another option is RIPS in rotorua, send them your runners and he will make a front facing plenum for ya!

SIKVLT

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 07:10:31 PM »
Quote from: dane;488959
Hey Dude,

I Love your VLT man it's freaking awsum! I wish my mate would put the same amount of time and money into his VL (20det) as what you put into yours. We put the motor in last year and got it running and he has'nt touched it since. Im gonna give him this link and hope that him seeing what you have done (He will literally cum in his pants ha-ha) gets him motivated.

I Say Keep the 30soc. Man, they are pulling some hearty numbers over in Auz with simple modifications.

25's 26's and 30det's have been done to death...

Ohhhh! and go the 20det's :dfinger:

Thanx give him this link as well then http://www.calaisturbo.com.au good bunch of guys in the NZ section :D

Believe me it will stay sohc hehe

SIKVLT

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 07:14:31 PM »
Quote from: Lith;488964
Thats awesome man, and good on you keeping the original VLT SOHC - I've seen very few genuines here and get a kick whenever one pops up.  Have you hit the dyno with the new fmic etc?

Yeah there is about 12 genuine VLTs in NZ most are in the south island and that's where I stole this one from haha - No I havn't had it back on the dyno but I'm itching to get it there
!

SIKVLT

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 07:23:18 PM »
Quote from: BADHAB|T;488972
That is one very tidy Holden! Nice to see its in such original condition too. My guess is you will be looking towards aussie to find a plenum? Another option is RIPS in rotorua, send them your runners and he will make a front facing plenum for ya!

Yes I have been looking in aussie mainly because people know what a rb30et is and they have products on the shelf ready but I also have been in contact with Rob at RIPS and I'm keen for him to do one for me :jack:

Interesting though RIPS hasn't done a plenum for a sohc rb30 before ?

TTOBES

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 11:42:14 PM »
Thats one very cool and rare Wagon!
It's good to see it in the hands of a true enthusiast and well looked after.
I bought a VL 28 spline LSD diff from Rare Spares a couple of years ago and was assured it was a genuine VLT wagon diff. Perhaps the CHCH car was parted out for some reason?
What did you think of the Powercruise?
I saw your car there and it looked like you were enjoying the weekend. We had a ball and have booked tickets for next year already.