Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: RB25DET into CA18i C33  (Read 1517 times)

AGRORB

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
RB25DET into CA18i C33
« on: December 16, 2009, 07:26:55 PM »
Anyone done this? Surely it shouldn't be too much harder than the diesel-petrol swap? Other than a motor loom what do i need? I'm told the CA crossmembers are exactly the same as RB's but if not i have a crossmember to sort the problem. Will the dash loom have to be changed to a DOHC loom or should the CA loom do the job?

Also will the diff be an R180 or an R200? Got my ute as a runabout so no worries about the time to get the parts together.
Truck drivers - We go ALL night.

BWARP.NET.NZ | BLOG | FORUM | SHOP

Quote from: ibb&;559471
I\'d drag my dick through a mile of glass just to hear her fart through a CB radio

Quote from: nathan1017;591767
giving the knob to sdu.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RB30DET-R30

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
RB25DET into CA18i C33
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:24:21 PM »
I dont think the crossmembers are the same but could be wrong the other week I did a RB into GXI Skyline(same as Laurel CA) and used a RB one, sorry not to sure on the loom info and the diff is a R180 but thats the least of your problems as you have drum rear brakes! with the GXI I swaped a whole complete non hicas Cefiro subframe into it. Goodluck with the conversion
Im getting there slowly at the moment

AGRORB

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
RB25DET into CA18i C33
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 02:39:29 PM »
No worries as i've decided not to buy it, found a nice HR30 with a factory L20 in it for cheap so i'm going with what i've always wanted an buying an old school Skyline now :D

Now, anyone done an RB swap into one of these?

I\'d drag my dick through a mile of glass just to hear her fart through a CB radio

giving the knob to sdu.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RB30DET-R30

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
RB25DET into CA18i C33
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 04:47:28 PM »
Ahhhh wicked very good choice.
Im halfway through doing a RB30DET into one at the moment but I havint had it in a permanatly mounted as im still undecided exactly what im doing but im 99% sure im going to put the whole R33 non hicas front crossmember in, arms steering rack, pump etc that I have siting here as then it all goes together and suits the motor.
But using RB30E VL mounts it allmost bolts strait in to the factory L20 crossmember, you just have to carefully cut/slot the locator pin slots on the crossmember right up and into the bolt hole with a 1mm cuting disc and then it will drop in but the only problem is then the motor sits about 20mm to low on the L/H side so its up to you how you fix the problem, but I was going to modify the R/H mount so it drops down, or slot the bolt holes where the mount bolts to the motor and you could also just do it the rangi way and put a few washers under the top and bottom off the rubber mount.
As for the gearbox mount you have to go custom and thats also up to you as it will depend on what gearbox and crossmember you start with
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:50:33 PM by RB30DET-R30 »

AGRORB

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
RB25DET into CA18i C33
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 11:47:30 AM »
Hmmm sounds like a bit of work, probably end up paying someone to do it all :confused: :o

I take it it would be a fairly common swap though? I'm looking at a fairly standard RB25DET...

giving the knob to sdu.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RB30DET-R30

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
RB25DET into CA18i C33
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 04:24:01 PM »
Yea it is a bit of work but if you have some mechanical skills and had a freind or contact with lots of tools, welder etc to help its not a major. But that depends on many things.
No not a very common swap at all! about 4-5 years ago when I came up with the idea there was no one elce in the country who had even thought about it as far as I know, then one guy from Wellington 80% finished a RB20DET into one but gave up and sold it on, but in the last couple of years a few people have started and I think there is around 3 in the country that go and around 3 more that are in the build. This one: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Nissan/skyline/auction-261861208.htm has been on trademe for around a year and started at $8000 and is now at $4000 without the wheels so that would be a bloody good buy if you had the coin

AGRORB

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
RB25DET into CA18i C33
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 07:17:30 PM »
Hmmm, failing the RB swap then, would there be a way of running side draughts on the L20 then? Came up with that idea last night, bit mental yes but i really wanna be different with this one, especially seeing as i now have the funds available to do something a bit wild.

Other than that, is the L28ET common in NZ? Haven't seen any for sale...

giving the knob to sdu.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RB30DET-R30

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
RB25DET into CA18i C33
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 02:45:27 AM »
Quote from: AGRORB;489410
Hmmm, failing the RB swap then, would there be a way of running side draughts on the L20 then? Came up with that idea last night, bit mental yes but i really wanna be different with this one, especially seeing as i now have the funds available to do something a bit wild.

Other than that, is the L28ET common in NZ? Haven't seen any for sale...

Side draughts are an intersting subject! if you can find a manifold(which are getting pretty rare these days and may cost $xxxxx??)you have good luck otherwise you have to get one custom made for around $250-$500, then you have to find 3 carbs at maybe $150-$750 for the set and then there is tuning which will cost anywhere between $200-$1000 depending on what needs to been done and how long it takes!
So not really the best option for you I would say unless you are seriously dedicated and have some good industry hook ups!

The L28ET is only slightly more common than the RB swap as there was way more knowlege around the world available and the L series swaps were much more common untill the last few years because of the 240Z,260Z,280Z and other L series powered cars.

If you cant do at least 50% of the work your self a RB swap will cost less to get the same power as any type of L series build