Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Fix for power window not going up or not going down  (Read 1465 times)

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Fix for power window not going up or not going down
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:09:37 AM »
Hey guys after following the thread posted by badhabit here: http://www.skylinesdownunder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60473

I managed to get my power window working again, just resoldered every connection on the PCB that I thought looked dodgy or dry.
Thought id make this a separate thread for others so when they use the search function it comes up, as it seems like a pretty common problem and so you dont end up like this guy:
Argh, I wish I found this sooner

I went to the wreckers and bought another one for $100... lol.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/R33-Fix-Auto-Power-W-t143965.html

It is a bit of a mission getting the relay out of the box by removing the black cover around the pins but you just have to really pry it apart. That was pretty much the only hard bit.
When you solder, the clearances between some joints are VERY small so double check very closely in case you joined two pins with even the smallest amount of solder by mistake, sometimes it can be very hard to see.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:12:18 AM by b00stinz »

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:12:05 AM »
Just to elaborate on possible causes for a window not working..... The window switch itself may be buggered, could be dry joints OR water damage has corroded components. Rip it open and look! (we have all had water drip on the switch while driving from cleaning the windscreen or had it spill over from the roof)

OR

The loom between the door and chassis is constantly 'bending' every time you open and shut the door, I have repaired cars with broken wiring in that small part of the loom. Its not too common, but it does happen

Hope that helps someone, this will probably come up in a search!
:)

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 11:18:25 AM »
WOW :eek: I just typed out a message, posted it.... then clicked 'edit' and it deleted it :splat: Not happy!
Try again.....

Just to expand on what b00stinz said,
There are 2 more likely possibly causes a window wont work....
The window switch itself may develop dry joints or corroded components from water damage. (who hasn't had water drip on that switch at some point).

OR

There may be broken wires in the loom between the door and chassis. With the door constantly opening and closing it can break wires in that small section of loom. I have repaired a handful of cars (no Skylines yet) so its not overly common, but it can happen

:)

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 09:03:34 PM »
Testing one two free

pasteyy

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 08:13:46 PM »
I must ask would this be the same with the passenger side as i dont remember seeing a relay box on passengers side.

Redbush

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 08:34:15 PM »
The drivers side one controls the passanger one aswell. well it does on my r33 coupe

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 10:10:34 PM »
yeah id imagine the one relay controls both if you dont have another one on passengers side, my coupe doesnt have on on passengers side either, just try it out and see if it fixes the problem

3rd time lucky

• RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 11:01:34 PM »
The other day I fixed my passenger window switch on my 32. You are right, there is no relay box there, so either it is wiring or the switch itself.
Mine was the switch: pull it apart and there are two little copper plates with a bend on them. Look on the under side and on side will have a circle wear mark and the other a line. I simply turned one plate 180 and now it woks fine up and down.