Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Soundz advice  (Read 1284 times)

Crash

Soundz advice
« on: June 17, 2001, 12:28:06 PM »
I'm lookin for some down to earth advice on some extensions to my audio.....

I currently have a Sony single cd headunit, Sony XM222 amp and Xplod 10' sub.... also Fusion 6.5 200w and 5.25 150w. I am only running the sub from the amp, which means that even that isn't getting its full potential along with the speakers.

I am happy with the in car sound, but would like a lil more exterior sound.... Really just asking for advice on if I got a new amp..... what sort of output should I look to get, and what should I look at running of it. Sub wise I would like to keep abit of room in the boot so I would still go for a single...... so with my wide taist in music.... would u go for a 12' or 15'????

any input very much appreciated
:confused:

forsaken

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
Soundz advice
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2001, 07:10:29 PM »
I would go for a 12" sub, I find that the 15"s can be too overpowering. I would also ditch the fusion gear and get something decent.

just my 10 cents worth
Framed A3 Photographs for sale PM for information

GaLRaCa

hmm
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2001, 09:35:32 PM »
I think everybody has their own opinions on sounds.. its a personal touch i reckon... I have two 12" Rockford Subs which do me just fine, although I would swap those in an instant if i was offered say a 15" Fusion or JBL Sub.  I like the Fusion gear, the speakers are clear and really responsive.  I would never buy any other subs except Rockford, Fusion and JBL due to personal experience with a few other brands.  I had sony explode 6.9's in my last car and they had nearly blown up just over 6 months of using them... I think sounds is a personal thing.. people can only give advice on experiences happened to them   :D

skyzerr33

tyre well
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2001, 10:15:51 PM »
dude u can put a 12" into your tyre well with a false floor. this leaves u still with the majority of ur boot space.

other than that, u could hunt down some bass engines. a stacker and some mb quarts coaxials in back with mb quarts splits in the front.

L8r

TheCamel

Soundz advice
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2001, 04:00:12 AM »
You want exterior sound? I assume you mean you want to hear the bass outside of the car? Go with an 18" sub.

You have to look at the sound waves that a sub produces, the larger the driver, the longer the soundwave curve. now don't quote me on this, because I am by no means an audio expert, but a 15 creates a bass wave that expands out nearly 6 feet before it begins its cycle again, and an 18" will create a bass wave nearly 10 feet to do the same. As far as bass speakers go. I reccemend Cerwin Vega Strokers. They will cost you your first born, and half your car, but you cannot beat the sound these monsters produce. A single 18 in my buddies 1984 corvette produced 147db with a US Amps 1200 bridged on it. The only drawback with a large sub is the amount of air space required to get the best sound. It took us 3 1/2 weeks just to build the custom box for this monster into the vette and get it ported correctly.

EVIL-BUNNY

Soundz advice
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2001, 03:52:00 PM »
hee hee hee
you could wire one of those up to huntly power station
and i would bet the lights would dim in auckland :laugh:

i would flick your stuff and start anew :)
pic up ah old alpine mrv 1507 or even ah mrv1000 as there
pretty cheap these days.
run two 12"s at two ohms in ah sealed inclosure.
look for a 12 that has big excursion and something round the  250rms rating upwards,something like xmax or jl.
most of this stuff can be had in the t&e every week.

that will kick arse for sure :D

:devil: