Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Fuel surge tank setup  (Read 5276 times)

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Fuel surge tank setup
« on: March 22, 2011, 11:13:31 PM »
I was thinking of upgrading my fuel pump but then wondered how much more it would be and what I would have to do in order to setup a basic surge tank in my car.
Im aiming for 250Kw at the moment and just looking into options so I could upgrade rather than go upsideways-ish if that makes sense.

Few questions:

From the surge tank would I have to run new braided fuel lines or can I supply fuel to my stock lines somehow?

Do I keep my stock fuel pump to pump fuel to the surge tank and then get a walbro or something to pump fuel to the engine?

What are external fuel pumps for as opposed to internal ones?

What size tank? I was thinking 2L one as its not a big power car, but thats only because its the smallest, might be for 4 cyl cars or something though. I dont know.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:16:27 PM by b00stinz »

SafT

• RB20E
    • View Profile
Fuel surge tank setup
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:43:23 PM »
Save your money for now.

Unless you do it right your car will smell of fuel inside.

NVIED101

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Fuel surge tank setup
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 01:03:16 AM »
I dont think it matters to much whether you have a large tank or not as your not going to give it a thrash constantly eg hard out track days. So i suppose smallers tanks would be ok.

Stock fuel pump would feed fuel to the surge tank and than aftermark fuel pump would deliver the fuel faster to the motor. Yes you can use the stock lines just make sure that your connections and everything are done properly.

I reccomend being very careful with the wiring as well. Any spark could be potentially dangerous.
[SIZE=10][/SIZE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Fuel surge tank setup
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:42:32 AM »
Quote from: SafT;536959
Save your money for now.

Unless you do it right your car will smell of fuel inside.

How do I do it right?

Quote from: NVIED101;536964
I dont think it matters to much whether you have a large tank or not as your not going to give it a thrash constantly eg hard out track days. So i suppose smallers tanks would be ok.

Stock fuel pump would feed fuel to the surge tank and than aftermark fuel pump would deliver the fuel faster to the motor. Yes you can use the stock lines just make sure that your connections and everything are done properly.

I reccomend being very careful with the wiring as well. Any spark could be potentially dangerous.

Thanks for the info :)

I plan to probably take it to the odd track day but mostly gymkhana sorta things. Nothing crazy. How do I go about using stock lines?

To be honest I should just take stuff apart and have a look at how to do it haha im just being a keyboard mechanic at the moment cuz im too busy with uni to work on the car :p

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Fuel surge tank setup
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:42:35 AM »
There are two reasons for a surge tank. One is as part of an improved fuel supply for bigger horsepower. For your purposes (and quite a bit more besides) you could acheive this with a grunty pump in the tank such as a Nismo Tomei etc and not bother with a surge tank.

The other is to ensure that your fuel supply is not interrupted when you are on the track with a low fuel load to save weight and you are on a long right hand sweeper with the power on. Your pump pickup could be left with no fuel.

If you are going to the trouble of fitting a surge tank you may as well do a decent sized one  so that you won't have to do it again. As above current pump can lift to the tank and new one e.g. Bosch 044 (Walbro delivery drops off dramatically with increase in pressure) can supply the fuel rail.

Most pumps work better (best) with full battery voltage so heavy wire and relay are the go.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:05:01 PM by westybob »

Harley

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • WD - No bullshit ISP
Fuel surge tank setup
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 08:17:46 AM »
Just do it, im using my factory lines.

Just disconect the factory rubber hoses from them and put your feed and return from the tank to it.

Saft is right, they do smell like fuel

gts-4r

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Fuel surge tank setup
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 08:30:49 AM »
check out the rips website and have a perve at the ones they build that should show a few different designs too. as for size depends what your after my surge tank is 7 litres and has twin pumps but it slightly excessive. you need to seal your boot completely to stop the smell/fumes coming through.

SafT

• RB20E
    • View Profile
Fuel surge tank setup
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »
Quote from: b00stinz;536966
How do I do it right?

Teflon/braided hose to help eliminate fuel smell, Bosch 044 (make sure it's not a Chinese copy).

xxfr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Fuel surge tank setup
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 09:38:29 AM »
Just upgrade to a better intank fuel pump. Your good money would be better spent on other supporting mods for your 250kw build.
OO   SKYLINE   OO

NVIED101

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Fuel surge tank setup
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Quote from: Harley;536973
Just do it, im using my factory lines.

Just disconect the factory rubber hoses from them and put your feed and return from the tank to it.

Saft is right, they do smell like fuel

I agree ... use the factory lines ... unless you really have money and time to rip it all apart.

Im loving the fuel smell :D

SafT

• RB20E
    • View Profile
Fuel surge tank setup
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 12:40:58 PM »
Quote from: xxfr;536987
Just upgrade to a better intank fuel pump. Your good money would be better spent on other supporting mods for your 250kw build.

This is all you really need to know.

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Fuel surge tank setup
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 12:54:51 PM »
Why do the factory lines end up giving off a fuel smell when they never did with the stock setup?

Did you guys who used the factory setup just hose clamp the lines?

Few diagrams I have found:

and example

What type of hoses are those blue hoses? And it looks like his return line is blue then goes into the factory black one??
Also where is that one blue hose going towards the rear seats? Is that the return from engine?

Thanks for the heads up about the walbro pumps westybob, will probably have to look at an external bosch on, I first had the thought of putting an internal into the surge tank. But that might be a bit complicated.

Im also going to look into a nismo fuel pump or something like that. Might end up costing about the same and all I have to make sure is I keep the tank above 1/4 or whatever for thrashing times :D

SafT

• RB20E
    • View Profile
Fuel surge tank setup
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 02:10:31 PM »
Its not the factory lines that let off the smell, its the new lines you put into the boot (inside the car).

I seriously wouldnt worry about a surge tank with your setup. Hose fittings and decent hose add up really quick, as well as the cost of the surge tank and installation.

Put a good intank pump in and leave it at that.

NVIED101

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Fuel surge tank setup
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 03:03:11 PM »
Tank or not its really up to you ... intake will be all you need for what you need but if i were you i would put a tank in just cos i would want to.

The intank fuel pump should be simple to put in i believe ... old one out new one in?

Harley

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • WD - No bullshit ISP
Fuel surge tank setup
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »
yep simple. Buy a 300zx tt pump.