Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: R33 Build  (Read 29288 times)

RENEN

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
R33 Build
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2011, 06:17:56 PM »
well this week i have been sanding and painting. what a *** of a job that is! i repainted:
  • turbo elbow
  • cam covers
  • j-pipe
  • cooler pipimg
  • heat shields
i fitted the cam covers today. instead of using the boring old screws, i used nice and shiny allen-key bolts. didnt cost much, so ill slowly start replacing most the other bolts
heres some pics of the cam covers, and coil pack cover

i was hoping to fit the dump this weekend, but the exhaust wrap didnt arrive.
on the shopping list next week is:
  • fuel pump (walbro gss-341)
  • new black silicone joiners

RENEN

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
R33 Build
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2011, 07:58:47 PM »
heres some pics of the engine all back together

i wrapped the front pipe tonight, relatively easy job. gloves are definitely recommended!! that stuff is itchy!!

they were taken on my phone, hence them being not the best quality. after i buy the fuel pump this week, the next 2 big purchases will be:
front facing plenum kit
front mount intercooler

Turbine

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
R33 Build
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2011, 09:13:44 PM »
Yeah man that **** itches like a mofo!

I had to wrap mine with the dump pipe in place! Raa! tugging 15m of wrap around it over and over. Was a 2 man job.

If you havnt ever changed one on a Skyline before, when you do this one you will understand why i left mine in place. Lol.

Bad enough with a little stock turbo one... with my large split pipe on the GT30.. FML

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
R33 Build
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2011, 09:20:45 PM »
Awesome. :)

RENEN

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
R33 Build
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2011, 09:34:18 PM »
Quote from: Turbine;574943
Yeah man that **** itches like a mofo!

I had to wrap mine with the dump pipe in place! Raa! tugging 15m of wrap around it over and over. Was a 2 man job.

If you havnt ever changed one on a Skyline before, when you do this one you will understand why i left mine in place. Lol.

Bad enough with a little stock turbo one... with my large split pipe on the GT30.. FML

yeah that sh1ts nasty haha. so is the dump pipe quite hard to change?? i was contemplating paying someone to do it, as ive heard of people breaking studs etc..???

Turbine

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
R33 Build
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2011, 09:38:40 PM »
its not "hard" as such, its just time consuming. i would highly recommend soaking your bolts in some penetrative stuff for a few days before hand.

The studs can break yes. I didnt have any trouble with mine, nor when i changed the turbo. But i soaked for a while :)

Putting the aftermarket ones on the stock turbo can be fiddly due to the lack of space for the bolts. The large piping jammed into the small oulets. Its a case of trial and error. I ended up moving the studs to different locations.

What worked for me, was not putting the flanges together and then putting the bolts in, i left about 10mm of space between them, then  put all the bolts in turn by turn and slowly pulled the flanges together.. Hard to explain kinda.

Also, nice work on the cap screws :D I began my cap screw swap with my exhaust shielding. Nice stainless ones. Am planning on doing the cam covers when i replcae the gaskets :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:42:20 PM by Turbine »

RENEN

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
R33 Build
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2011, 09:44:39 PM »
Quote from: Turbine;574948
its not "hard" as such, its just time consuming. i would highly recommend soaking your bolts in some penetrative stuff for a few days before hand.

The studs can break yes. I didnt have any trouble with mine, nor when i changed the turbo. But i soaked for a while :)

Putting the aftermarket ones on the stock turbo can be fiddly due to the lack of space for the bolts. The large piping jammed into the small oulets. Its a case of trial and error. I ended up moving the studs to different locations.

What worked for me, was not putting the flanges together and then putting the bolts in, i left about 10mm of space between them, then  put all the bolts in turn by turn and slowly pulled the flanges together.. Hard to explain kinda.

Also, nice work on the cap screws :D I began my cap screw swap with my exhaust shielding. Nice stainless ones. Am planning on doing the cam covers when i replcae the gaskets :)

yeah i went to mitre10, but they didnt have any M6x12 stainless bolts with the allen key bolts :( ill try bunnings next. if you need the sizes for them let me know

Turbine

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
R33 Build
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2011, 09:46:50 PM »
I dont think Bunnings have them either. I was actually looking today.

YOur best bet would be Coastal Fastners.

What size are they? Ill put a note in my phone for next time im in the area :D

RENEN

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
R33 Build
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2011, 09:49:53 PM »
the rocker covers are M6x25, and the coil pack cover is m5x12. i got all mine from bunnings quite cheap, maybe $35 and i still got quite a few left over. most other things in there seem to be M6, so they will be used up.

4ever_sideways

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
R33 Build
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2011, 10:03:06 PM »
Looking good mate, I'm definitely going to use those allen  screws now.
Nothing is fool proof to a well accomplished fool.

Some people are like clouds, once they f*ck off it\'s a beautiful day.

RENEN

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
R33 Build
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2011, 10:07:55 PM »
yeah it looks heaps better with them

thrasher

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
R33 Build
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2011, 07:09:56 AM »
Up to you, but I cut 3x circular holes into my coil cover to let some of that trapped hot air out.. didnt look to bad.. I did think about meshing underneath the holes to dress it up a bit but never got around to doing that.

Sorry forgot to add, looking good dude! :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:16:10 AM by thrasher »

Stalk3r

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
    • http://
R33 Build
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2011, 07:41:06 AM »
Quote from: RENEN;574951
the rocker covers are M6x25, and the coil pack cover is m5x12. i got all mine from bunnings quite cheap, maybe $35 and i still got quite a few left over. most other things in there seem to be M6, so they will be used up.

they will be considerably cheaper if you go to an actual fastener outlet though, EDL, Anzor, etc

RENEN

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
R33 Build
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2011, 12:37:46 PM »
cheers Stalk3r, i will check out those places. bit of an update, on the weekend i took the old dump pipe and front pipe off hoping to put the new one on. but i broke one of the bolts. still unsure (by unsure i really mean i have no clue) of how to get it out, hopefully a mate will be able to sort it for me.

got some of my old bits for sale:
http://www.skylinesdownunder.com/forums/showthread.php?p=576525#post576525

Harley

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • WD - No bullshit ISP
R33 Build
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »
when i broke off a stud in the head, i got a mate to tig a bold to the remainder of the stud, worked mint