Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Benefits of keeping HICAS  (Read 5399 times)

Phlex

• SDU Member
  • RB20DE
    • View Profile
Benefits of keeping HICAS
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:09:42 PM »
I have recently gotten another R32 skyline, I am building it in to a cruisy daily.

I am donating the manual trans, adjustable suspension and low offset wheels from my other skyline to it.

I have 17x9s with a +17 offset on the rear running a 225/45/17. When I roll the lip of my rear guards up, there is about 8mm between my tire and my guard. (prev skyline was certed for 300mm +/-5% and it had been dropped to 285mm when measured and I will be dropping it another 10mm to get it certed this time as I had too much guard space in the front)

If I retain HICAS, what are the chances of my wheels hitting the guards?

Also what are the benefits of keeping HICAS? It appears to be a good working system, and I know that they can be problematic in the future.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4ever_sideways

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:15:02 PM »
Don't keep the HICAS! its as simple as that. Mine stoped working one day then it randomly turned on mid corner at 90Kmph, very dangerous. It feels weird when it is working properly, the car feels more predictable without it
Nothing is fool proof to a well accomplished fool.

Some people are like clouds, once they f*ck off it\'s a beautiful day.

smkadktz

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:20:09 PM »
yeah, had two hicas cefiros. my third non hicas handles the business compared to them.

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 07:31:42 AM »
People who have Hicas that works say it is great especially fast lane changing etc.
Not recommended for track though.

D1LEMA

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 08:11:58 AM »
im still running it ...works fine for me just for every day driving ... no problems etc.  but have heard some crazy stories on when it f**ks out. and some other storys where its saved peoples ***'s. guess each to their own. and depends what your going to be doing with the car at the end of the day.

Instead of removing it lock bars seem to be a cheap way of getting it sorted to.

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 11:13:06 AM »
Hicas is great for road driving day to day. When you start pushing the car you begin to notice the unpredictability of it.

Back in my heyday I remember my non LSD R32 going sideways for like 50m striaght like it had an LSD because the rear wheels were turned enough steer itself sideways (if that makes sense) I happened after I did a Uturn really fast and floored it. Was the weirdest feeling ever.

Few other things like that where if your wheels arent aligned and you go over a bump the back sways more than it usually would too

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 01:05:08 PM »
HICAS helps to prevent understeer, etc. It's shown on diagrams in the Nissan catalogues and you experience understeer if you have removed HICAS.

Handles better without HICAS once you solve the understeer problem (swaybars).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 05:48:44 AM by gtsr »

Demco

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 01:29:09 PM »
In my Silvia HICAS saved my *** couple times. I put a lock bar in my R32 this time and it feels like the back wants to sway out more than the Silvia did with the HICAS
♜♞♝♛[Firing order: 1-5-3-6-2-4]♚♝♞♜[/b]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ARRRHHH THUUURRRTYYY TWOOO
Progress 98%

[ ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||[/COLOR] || ]

ibb&

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 01:33:49 PM »
Kamikaze lane changes.
SDU DERAIL CREW WHAT!

Garage Stalk3r official cleaning lady

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 01:51:02 PM »
Demco, that can happen when your shocks are stuffed.

R33_dan

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 03:11:15 PM »
ppl saying cars with hicas are better for everyday driving r all sh*t. Nissan's biggest mistake playing with the *** end steering. They should have looked at the swaybars instead. a stock car - No hicas -gtr rear swaybar and 25mm ish front sway bar will handle heaps better than a hicas skyline lowered on springs/adjustys. I have every adjustable arm under the sun in my r33, whiteline rear pineapples, non hicas subframe, tein flex adjustys and all urathane bushes. set up half a dozen times on wheel alignment machine until I got it best I could. Was still crap in my opinion. 24mm rear and 32 mm front swaybars (quite a big car) and wow!!!!!! Unreal
GTS25t S2 Rb25det 278.5rwkw @ 17psi

D1LEMA

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 03:15:50 PM »
semi off topic .. but why f**k with none hicas subframes when you can just install a lock bar ??

weight ... and ??

was thinking about doing mind with a lock bar

4ever_sideways

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 03:21:29 PM »
Theres no real point in a non hicas subframe unless you have one lying around. If you want to remove weight take out the lines
Nothing is fool proof to a well accomplished fool.

Some people are like clouds, once they f*ck off it\'s a beautiful day.

D1LEMA

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 03:29:14 PM »
im nto using my car for anything but street driving ... so lock bar would be perfect for me.can always remove lines when doing it and just leave subframe as is then

Shrike

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 03:56:23 PM »
I run a lock bar and have no hicas gear in my car at all tbh I cant feel the difference between my set up and a non hicas factroy set up
Quote from: MZ ROLA;555218
Personally i prefer DP

Quote from: Stalk3r;558679
mmmm sausage