Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Dual ECU's  (Read 567 times)

driftae76

• RB20E
    • View Profile
Dual ECU's
« on: May 01, 2012, 05:31:26 PM »
Ive got a S1 Stagea RS4, Im wanting to install a Nistuned R32/Z32 ecu but keep it auto (for now) Ive noticed some guy on SAU managed to run dual ecus (Nistuned ecu for engine and stagea ecu for auto control) But i havent been able to contact the guy to ask about it, so just wondering if anyone knows if its possible / plausable?

What would the factory ecu need to run the auto? Power, RPM, Vehicle speed, TPS ... ?

Lith

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://teamlurkracing.orcon.net.nz
Dual ECU's
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:14:26 AM »
Have you spoken to the guy on SAU who has done that?  Do you have a link to any threads he has done on his build?   I'd be quite interested in having a look.

We did a build on a Honda Prelude Type-S with ATTS which basically communicates with the ECU similar to (actually along the same com lines) the automatic models and as such there are no aftermarket ECU options for it.  We had many discussions on the matter and I had thought running something along the lines of a G4 Link to do the engine control stuff, but having a stock ECU "incubated" - where it basically runs a little like a piggy back, receiving basic inputs and retaining its direct line to the ATTS unit... just enough that the ECU can make informed decisions and not freak out and go into "something is f**ked" mode, but have the Link do everything else.

At the time we didn't find anyone who had done anything like that, and the owner wasn't comfortable with the amount of wiring and potential pissing around (fair enough too, I'd not want to make any guarantees of how smoothly it'd go) so we ended up going with a GReddy E-Manage Ultimate ECU - which to some degree is an opposite philosophy.  If it weren't for the risk and potential masses of messing around, I'd have liked to have done the dual ECU thing and feel I could have got a much better tune out of it... but fwiw the E-Manage route CAN work too.  But it is quite a compromise...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:15:48 AM by Lith »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
  --  Socrates

... thanks for all the fish

downtrail

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Dual ECU's
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:22:42 AM »
Yup this is not a huge major to achieve. You can run something like a megasquirt in parallel with the factory ecu as a piggy back to control the timing and fuel etc and leave the factory ecu there to control the auto etc.
----->UNLIKE OTHER FORMS OF SPORT DRIFTING REQUIRES THE USE OF TWO BALLS<-----

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.facebook.com/cole.customs

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Dual ECU's
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 12:30:36 PM »
Quote from: driftae76;597746
Ive got a S1 Stagea RS4, Im wanting to install a Nistuned R32/Z32 ecu but keep it auto (for now) Ive noticed some guy on SAU managed to run dual ecus (Nistuned ecu for engine and stagea ecu for auto control) But i havent been able to contact the guy to ask about it, so just wondering if anyone knows if its possible / plausable?

What would the factory ecu need to run the auto? Power, RPM, Vehicle speed, TPS ... ?

Probably me. Andy (X-Tune) piggybacked an R32 ecu on to mine. Was  a major as he made all the connections one at a time with a spare ecu plug. I sold it to another SAU member in Aus when I went manual (and Link).

It would probably be easier to get an E-manage with a loom extender but frankly GTR box is the way to go.

driftae76

• RB20E
    • View Profile
Dual ECU's
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 06:38:13 PM »
sweet thats enough for me, think im gonna give it a go, joining ecu wires is no problem. I could even use a field harness (although a bit pricey..)
easy is over-rated :P if the **** hits the fan i can always hit up master card and manual the car to get around the problem :-/

FYI Heres the post from SAU which put me on to the idea
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/379753-s1-stagea-remapnistune-eculoom-kits/

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Dual ECU's
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 02:13:29 PM »
Quote from: driftae76;597846
sweet thats enough for me, think im gonna give it a go, joining ecu wires is no problem. I could even use a field harness (although a bit pricey..)
easy is over-rated :P if the **** hits the fan i can always hit up master card and manual the car to get around the problem :-/

FYI Heres the post from SAU which put me on to the idea
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/379753-s1-stagea-remapnistune-eculoom-kits/

Yep that's my old one - looks like its still for sale - would save you a few headaches if you bought it. The tuning bit was ok but it took Andy a while to get the auto working in all gears! He used the plug off a loom and part of an ecu to make up something that could be plugged in between the loom on my car and the ecu so it was easily removable. The chip was tuned for my GCG highflow with Z32afm and 550 injectors so would need a new chip made.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 02:14:47 PM by westybob »