Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: No spark no signal power.  (Read 1527 times)

r32_purpose

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
No spark no signal power.
« on: August 19, 2012, 04:36:32 PM »
Hey everyone. really stuck here.
i have a rb30det with a vct rb25det head. i can't seem to get spark. the ecu has power, the coils have a constant twelve volts, am pretty sure its all earth properly but the pin on coil plug that supposed to have the ecu signal has nothing going to it. anyone that would know what the reason for this would be? if i spin the CAS the injectors click are these both on the same circuit? any help would be great.

westybob

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 01:45:50 AM »
I think the signal doesn't come from the ecu it earths through it.
You said you had a chipped ecu - what sort of ecu is it and what kind of injectors did you have before you put the GTR ones in?  Maybe the GTR ones are incompatible with your ecu.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 01:53:20 AM by westybob »

r32_purpose

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 09:19:04 AM »
The ECU was tune by a guy who tunes them himself and is pretty onto it. it hard the gtr injectors when this tune was made and ran really well, i've only made it forward facing plen new exhaust mani top mount and things. i dont know whats going on aaaahhh

frost.motorsport

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.frostmotorsport.co.nz
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 11:07:38 AM »
so plenum has changed yeah?  So new throttle body?  TPS hooked up?  Check all your earths as it sounds like you've left one off somewhere!

also, your next step would be to pull a plug and make sure you are getting spark when you spin the CAS.  Once you've confirmed that, pull the fuel reg on the rail (or similar) and check for fuel pressure - then pull the injector rail and (messy as it is) make sure they are firing fuel and not just clicking...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:09:33 AM by frost.motorsport »
I wouldn\'t have road rage if morons didn\'t have drivers licences!

http://www.frostmotorsport.co.nz

https://www.facebook.com/FrostMotorsport

r32_purpose

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 12:38:05 PM »
i know there's fuel getting into cylinders as plugs are wet and stink of fuel. but there's no spark whatsoever, i've looked everywhere and everything is all earthed out. i think my only option is to take it to a sparky. i've given up ha

ecozile

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 02:12:04 PM »
If you have flooded your plugs, it might worth to try a new set as they can be ruined very easily with flooding.

Also what exactly did you mean by this?

Quote from: r32_purpose;604104
the pin on coil plug that supposed to have the ecu signal has nothing going to it.

downtrail

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »
That will be you meaning that the fire pin is not getting a signal. how are you testing for signal as its hard to see with just a multi meter. the signal will orginate from the ecu and will trigger the ignitor to switch to ground have you checked there is ground to the ignitor? there will be one side with 7 pins. one of them is ground. the middle from memory. check theres earth there. the other 6 are from the ecu. on the other side should be the fire wires to the coils.
----->UNLIKE OTHER FORMS OF SPORT DRIFTING REQUIRES THE USE OF TWO BALLS<-----

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.facebook.com/cole.customs

r32_purpose

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 03:59:31 PM »
tried new plugs they're brand new set. Yes that sounds the problem, i've just been using test lights and multi meter, how do i test there is ground from the ignitor pack? i've heard there can be a problem with those relays under dash and some people have bridged it to get spark? why is that, thanks much appretiated

fast4motion

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 05:20:36 PM »
Quote from: r32_purpose;604173
i've heard there can be a problem with those relays under dash and some people have bridged it to get spark? why is that, thanks much appretiated

The Ignition Relay under the dash provides constant power for the coils when you turn your key on. It shouldn't be that, because you said in your first post that they had constant 12V.
The ECCS Relay provides power to the ECU and some sensors (AFM and CAS from memory). It shouldn't be that either because your injectors are working, which means your CAS and ECU have power.

If there's definitely no spark, it's probably one of three things:
1) Igniter is not earthed (From memory Earth is Black/Yellow wire, and is the middle pin as downtrail said)
2) No signal from ECU to Igniter
3) Igniter is f#cked
That's assuming you have power and earth at the coils.
So I'd check the igniter is earthed first.

downtrail

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 10:30:41 PM »
to check for earth. pull the 7 pin plug off and put your multimeter on contunuity. or the loweset ohm scale put one lead to the middle pin (earth for ignitor) and one pin to an earth on your motor. or negative battery terminal. the meter should show a dead short or 0.00ohms depending on lead resistance. I would not accept anything over 1 ohm. (earth reading - lead resistance put the leads together and see what the resistance of the leads are then sub tract from your reading). :skulls:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r32_purpose

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 10:37:11 PM »
Thanks Heaps guys i'll try that in the morning. if theres no earth the ignitor has to shagged right?

fast4motion

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 01:27:09 PM »
If there's no earth, it means the earth wire isn't connected, and that should be your problem (You're checking the middle pin on the wiring loom connector, not the middle pin of the igniter itself).
If it is earthed, you'll need to check other things (like the igniter, and signal from the ECU).

r32_purpose

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 09:45:47 AM »
YES!!! It goes(: i'm wrapped haha. but now it revs really high?? and its boosting at idle . cold starts not plugged up as there are no plugs for it and just plumbed into itself would this have anything to do with it?

downtrail

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »
was it the earth?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r32_purpose

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 07:31:41 PM »
Yeah it was! Cheers Guys, now i have a throttle control problem how do i plumb it in? also i have no plugs for a cold start is it ok not to run it?