Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: R32 RB25DE+T - Advice?  (Read 3992 times)

Phlex

• SDU Member
  • RB20DE
    • View Profile
R32 RB25DE+T - Advice?
« on: March 01, 2013, 09:50:23 PM »
Hey guys ive recently whacked a turbo on my RB25DE. I have gotten it running but am reluctant to fang it until ive sorted out all the niggly bits.

Current setup is:

RB20DET Turbo (internally gated)
7Psi actuator from 25det (appears to spike at 10psi sometimes)
Braided water and oil lines (running 1.4mm restrictor in oil line)
3" Stainless downpipe with seperate wastegate pipe that connects back in further down
FMIC with 2.5" alloy piping throughout
Walbro internal fuel pump
Blanked off BOV
Pod filter
Stock exhaust with decat pipe for now. Will be upgrading

On the standard RB25DE ECU it runs, but isnt flash but I am using a mates RB20DE+T Ecu, it boosts out fine in first and second but appears to be missing in third from 3k onwards, do I need to run a fuel pressure regulator or GTR injectors? Planning on getting a chipped ecu thats more suitable or getting nistune, looking into an RB25DET turbo also.

Any other advice would be appreciated
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
R32 RB25DE+T - Advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 12:53:32 AM »
Dude get a 25DET turbo for it, trust me you will see a huge difference, I've run both on a 25DE+T and the 20DET turbo will just not be enough. They were honestly made for a 4 cylinder engine... The 25DET just has so much more kick to it and doesn't run out of puff at higher RPM. The 20DET was pretty much choking my motor I realised after I replaced it.

Running the 20DE+T ecu is a horrible idea and you shouldn't be running it to high RPM at all. It'll be detonating and running like an abosolute *** with all those mods too. GTR injectors are a good idea with the resistor pack mod you have to do to adapt them. Don't go cheap, don't drive it till you get a proper tune.  You're going to wreck things like stem seals and your pistons if you head down the road you're going.

Finally do all the mods like exhaust, bigger turbo and then go for a tune. Just some kind of tune at least, don't drive it till you have.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:55:00 AM by b00stinz »

Phlex

• SDU Member
  • RB20DE
    • View Profile
R32 RB25DE+T - Advice?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »
Ive been gentle on it when driving, not letting it boost in higher gears and changing gears before 5k whenever possible.

Ive got some GTR injectors lined up and will get an adjustable fuel pressure reg.

25det turbo will go on before I get it tuned. Plan was always to get the factory ecu reflashed. Will probably stick with that idea, had looked into prices for chips but theres nothing that quite matches my setup
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

deepdarkminimal

• RB26DETT
  • www.nzprojectcars.com
    • View Profile
    • NZ Project Cars
R32 RB25DE+T - Advice?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 10:07:36 AM »
id say if you want it running reasonably reliable
get a good ecu and tune
www.nzprojectcars.com
NZ's newest dedicated project car forum

ErOR

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
R32 RB25DE+T - Advice?
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 12:02:59 PM »
How much did the turbo setup set you back so far? I'm keen on a +t
\'If you ain\'t outta control then you ain\'t in control\'

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
R32 RB25DE+T - Advice?
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 07:59:49 PM »
Quote from: ErOR;612862
How much did the turbo setup set you back so far? I'm keen on a +t

My +T cost about ~$1500 for parts including generic chip for it by Xtune

sonoramicommando

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
R32 RB25DE+T - Advice?
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 09:03:48 PM »
turbo setup should only cost 500 tops really, and road tune chip maybe another 500.
why bother getting generic tune.

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
R32 RB25DE+T - Advice?
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 05:15:18 AM »
Quote from: sonoramicommando;612876
turbo setup should only cost 500 tops really, and road tune chip maybe another 500.
why bother getting generic tune.

It's just the small stuff people never talk about that causes everything to add up.

Yeah I paid $500ish for the setup that was turbo, lines and manifold but then I didn't have an intercooler setup, so I bought a front mount kit. My exhaust system didn't line up so I had to pay and get it adapted between the two. Banjo bolts didn't fit/I didn't get with the setup so I had to get new ones/made. Bits and bobs such as silicon joiners, clamps etc. Time and effort cutting holes, making things fit, research and troubleshooting.
 Stock 20DET BOV was leaking and didn't fit between my new 25DET turbo setup and 20DET return pipe so I needed to get the 25DET gear such as J-pipe,... Like if you upgrade for a 20DET turbo to 25DET, the pipes don't exactly match up due to different J-pipe style and other small differences...

Then finally the tune, at the time I was young and dumb, didn't think much of it and just got a generic chip from X-tune as I wanted it running ASAP, now that I know a bit better I'd pay a bit more and at least road tune it.

It just adds up, it's never the cost people tell you. If it is, they cut corners or got things cheap/free mostly.

Harley

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • WD - No bullshit ISP
R32 RB25DE+T - Advice?
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 08:14:39 AM »
nistune

sonoramicommando

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
R32 RB25DE+T - Advice?
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 09:02:13 AM »
Quote from: b00stinz;612887
It's just the small stuff people never talk about that causes everything to add up.

Yeah I paid $500ish for the setup that was turbo, lines and manifold but then I didn't have an intercooler setup, so I bought a front mount kit. My exhaust system didn't line up so I had to pay and get it adapted between the two. Banjo bolts didn't fit/I didn't get with the setup so I had to get new ones/made. Bits and bobs such as silicon joiners, clamps etc. Time and effort cutting holes, making things fit, research and troubleshooting.
 Stock 20DET BOV was leaking and didn't fit between my new 25DET turbo setup and 20DET return pipe so I needed to get the 25DET gear such as J-pipe,... Like if you upgrade for a 20DET turbo to 25DET, the pipes don't exactly match up due to different J-pipe style and other small differences...

Then finally the tune, at the time I was young and dumb, didn't think much of it and just got a generic chip from X-tune as I wanted it running ASAP, now that I know a bit better I'd pay a bit more and at least road tune it.

It just adds up, it's never the cost people tell you. If it is, they cut corners or got things cheap/free mostly.

yeah fair enough - that's a bit of worst case scenario though. i had a similar experience with manual conversion, rather than laying out a grand for a whole kit, there i was thinking i was smarter than the average bear bought bits one by one - wasnt worth it in the end, by far.

mrsr32

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
R32 RB25DE+T - Advice?
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 11:03:06 PM »
you could trick the stock ecu into thinking its cold and run an fpr to raise pressure a bit, just to band aid it.  

that is ... only a band aid

downtrail

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
R32 RB25DE+T - Advice?
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 11:31:12 PM »
:)
----->UNLIKE OTHER FORMS OF SPORT DRIFTING REQUIRES THE USE OF TWO BALLS<-----

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.facebook.com/cole.customs

Nu-Del

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
    • http://nzparts.co.nz
R32 RB25DE+T - Advice?
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 08:31:50 AM »
Buy more GKTech bits and drink less of my beer I think that would solve your issues!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Black Label Performance
New OE Replacement and Aftermarket Performance Parts
Email Me!
Click Here to View Our Website

Hr31rb30

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
R32 RB25DE+T - Advice?
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 11:23:01 AM »
Quote from: Nu-Del;613545
Buy more GKTech bits and drink less of my beer I think that would solve your issues!

hahahah dam i thought beer was the answer to everything
ARRRHHH THUUURRRTYYY ONNNEEEE

- Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
- Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
- Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
- Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

downtrail

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
R32 RB25DE+T - Advice?
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 02:02:59 PM »
hmmmmm dont remember posting a smily face haha
----->UNLIKE OTHER FORMS OF SPORT DRIFTING REQUIRES THE USE OF TWO BALLS<-----

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.facebook.com/cole.customs