Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Flarkk I hate electrical. Audio wiring.  (Read 3572 times)

Ryeoon

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Flarkk I hate electrical. Audio wiring.
« on: June 10, 2013, 06:57:49 PM »
If there is anything that really gets to me, it is electrical. It's just not my forte. Today I tried swapping the sound systems over from a nissan pulsar to a s14. Thought it was about time I learnt to wire up audio systems.

The s14 had a Blaupunkt head deck which I'm swapping for a Sony one.

None of the wiring matches up at all. I'm a lil familiar with the regular stuff like Yellow=12V battery Red=12V ign Black= Earth Etc but I couldn't seem to get the head deck to even turn on! I traced what wires go to which speakers in the loom & it's not how a nissan wiring went at all.

So far I've found that FR speaker is Brown/Brown white stripe
FL is Blue green stripe/Blue white stripe
RR is Pink/Blue
RL is Green/Red

There is 3 blues so I don't know which goes to Right rear speaker. Then I'm left with a Orange green stripe, Blue red stripe & 2 blues. Black is earthed on to a bolt on transmission plate thing. Any ideas as to what I should wire to what just to turn the head deck on so I can go from there with wiring the speakers?

I know some people find this easy as pie but I'm just not an electrically minded. Must be something to do with the not being able to physically see it, haha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 07:21:53 PM »
Badhabit -

http://www.skylinesdownunder.co.nz/forums/member.php?find=lastposter&t=66405

As far as I know, he used to do audio installs.

BUC957

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 07:28:19 PM »
Finding speakers. strip some wire back and use a AA battery between the two wires. you'll hear a click if its a speaker. its what we do at work.

BUC957

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 07:29:48 PM »
From head unit. Solid blue is electric aerial so for for aerial in window Nissan's its the aerial amplifier. blue white is amp remote.

Ryeoon

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 07:31:51 PM »
Quote from: BUC957;616011
From head unit. Solid blue is electric aerial so for for aerial in window Nissan's its the aerial amplifier. blue white is amp remote.

Apparently not. There are 3 solid blues & the only blue white goes to Front left speaker =/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ryeoon

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 07:33:52 PM »
I believe that the orange green stripe may be the 12V battery supply but when I tried joining it with both the yellow & red on plug with black earthed, the head deck did still not have power?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4ever_sideways

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 07:35:57 PM »
Multi meter will become your best friend.
Nothing is fool proof to a well accomplished fool.

Some people are like clouds, once they f*ck off it\'s a beautiful day.

Ryeoon

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 07:36:52 PM »
Quote from: 4ever_sideways;616015

Tomorrows purchase me thinks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

benji-nz

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 08:13:04 PM »
"I ran a 25 turbo on my 20 when I had stock cams. Managed 300whp at 24psi on e85 figured that was the max on that turbo"

A31_25DET

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 08:15:55 PM »
Quote from: 4ever_sideways;616015

Absolute must for any audio installations :D they're relatively cheap too i think for how much use you'll get out of it.

depending on how hacked the loom is sometimes the factory specific speaker wires are taped together a bit further back?
Current Rides:
1996 R33 GTS25-T
1990 E39A VR4 EVO 0

Nothing better than the feeling of hitting boost.......................and still thinking you have control!!

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 09:56:48 PM »
Oh my gawd man R32 stereo wiring is the most f*cked up wiring ever. It seems to change every year, never follows the conventions you're used to either.
All I can say is first find each speaker wire pair, separate them away from the others.

The remaining are your important ones. With the R32, there is some electric antenna one or something that will confuse you into thinking what it isn't. But yes, you need a multimeter. That way you can find what is constant 12V and which one is the switched one.
Don't ground your stereo into that loom, ground it to the metal brackets you see on either side, or in my case I drew the wire and grounded on one of the screws holding the gearbox cover down. Also I believe there is a wire for a factory amp, that'll be an unused wire from that loom. Done quite a few headunits now and still gets me annoyed each time.

downtrail

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 10:45:52 PM »
Yes being a sparky by trade I say get a multimeter. Doesn't need to be an expensive one for little automotive jobs just a $10 ja kar one will do.

For car sterios get a 9v battery and tough the cabling to it when you find a speaker pair you'll hear it click / make a noise. label them all then start on the power. find the constant +12v. make sure one lead is earthed. the easiest place is the door max open pin thing pop it in there and start testing. then label it. then find the acc. same way but with key on. confirm it by turning key on / off. then find the earth wire. this can be funny on some cars but set the meter to ohm's lowest scale and start testing untill you find a dead short. 0.0ohm but be aware some cars would use the aerial as an earth so another may need to be added.

Go buy a strip connector to join the looms. they are like $3 from an electrical whole saler dont buy one from repco they are so over priced.

There may be an out put for the aerial motor this can be joined to the remote wire if the signal goes high to extend. some aftermarket head units have a dedicated aerial output so use that. can be found by first trying to ground the left over cables to see if it extends if nothing happens then try shorting it to a +12v source that you have already labled.
----->UNLIKE OTHER FORMS OF SPORT DRIFTING REQUIRES THE USE OF TWO BALLS<-----

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.facebook.com/cole.customs

Ryeoon

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 10:58:15 PM »
Wicked. Cheers for the help. I'll see how I get on tomorrow after uni once I have a multimeter. I've got 3 head units to wire in =/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BUC957

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 11:19:07 PM »
I remember at work we have to do something with the rear amp on new head unit installs. don't get many 32's come in so can't quite remember. i think because the head unit output is higher than the rearamp output.

A31_25DET

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 09:52:04 AM »
Quote from: ryeoon;616054
I've got 3 head units to wire in =/

haha once you do the 1st one the 2nd will get easier and then the 3rd will be a dream :)

Also like Downtrail said, if you have the right equipment to strip wires and join with new headunit wiring, this will make life a lot easier.
Current Rides:
1996 R33 GTS25-T
1990 E39A VR4 EVO 0

Nothing better than the feeling of hitting boost.......................and still thinking you have control!!