Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Recommendations for alarm installs in Wellington  (Read 2149 times)

snax

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
Recommendations for alarm installs in Wellington
« on: July 25, 2013, 10:17:50 AM »
Anyone have any sweet hookups for alarm/immobiliser installs in our fine capital? Ideally wanna spend about $500ish... I dont really want to take my sexy bitch out until I know she aint gonna get rolled... appreciate any pointers, thanks! :notworthy

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:42:15 AM »
Stupid alarms that cost heaps aren't always the best. Sure insurance will be cheaper with a 5 star or whatever, but some of the cheaper lesser known brands have some awesome features.

I have installed AVS alarms in both my previous skylines, the S5 or whatever it was, and I have one in my current car. The install is only as good as the installer as I found out one day when driving and the brains of the alarm fell out from under the dash and hit my leg. Also AVS charges a decent amount for add-ons and stuff. It isn't even that great. The remotes activate/deactivate the alarm if it's in your pocket with keys and stuff and every decent car theif will have the wiring diagrams for it now. There was even a video where some guy disables an AVS and gets the car going within minutes.

I recently bought a honda civic for lulz, the car had an alarm called "steelmate" it came with a remote that showed you if a door was open, if you car was unlocked and even alerted you if the alarm went off if you were within a certain range.
Look at the pricing of one: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchString=steelmate&rptpath=all&type=Search&searchType=all&generalSearch_keypresses=9&generalSearch_suggested=0

Next time I get an alarm, I won't worry so much about the price and how much of the market share it has. I'll be looking for nice features such as that remote, shock sensor, tilt sensor and a battery backup mainly. Also get an awesome install done, not something that any car thief can find and rip out within seconds.

snax

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:46:02 AM »
cool, good heads up thanks! has anyone had experience with Street Sounds?

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 11:49:54 AM »
You'll find the really cheap ones such as "StealmeMate" alarms can probably be bypassed with a $5 tool and no cutting of wires. I even have 2 of those "tools" sitting at home!
There are benefits to the better known brands but at the end of the day, the choice is yours :)

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 12:34:33 PM »
Quote from: BADHAB|T;618290
You'll find the really cheap ones such as "StealmeMate" alarms can probably be bypassed with a $5 tool and no cutting of wires. I even have 2 of those "tools" sitting at home!
There are benefits to the better known brands but at the end of the day, the choice is yours :)

But you can disable my $500 AVS alarm doing the same thing. I'm just very disillusioned by car alarms and what they promise. Especially after finding out that to get a good rating you essentially just have to pay a ton of money to be registered. How about just having some kind of system so it can warn you when your alarm goes off so you can go bash their heads in or something. That'd be better than forking out so much money and my car is still gone because my alarm can be bypassed without any warning for me.

Next thing to do is GPS tracking and all that, but the prices are ridiculous unless the worth of your car really outweighs it.

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »
Trust me, you can not disable an S5 using the same method.

Umm.. isn't an alarm "some kind of system to warn you". The idea is you (or someone you know) remain in ear shot - we all know the general public don't pay attention to them. If you want protection beyond ear shot then there is GPS etc. Besides, an alarm is supposed to be a deterrent as well as theft prevention... make your sirens loud... add more. Make it deafening and highly uncomfortable in the car when the sirens go off.
It doesn't matter what alarm you have at the end of the day.. if they want the car they'll use a tow truck and/or fork lift. But having a good alarm that's installed well provides a big barrier for them to overcome as opposed to having an El Cheapo alarm where you can literally grab the single non battery back up siren, rip it out and smash it to silence the car.

snax

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 12:51:56 PM »
also, immobilisers...

snax

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 12:52:34 PM »
wanted something like this, but it seems its illegal in NZ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

snax

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 01:16:56 PM »
this thread does not fill me with confidence

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 01:19:34 PM »
AVS have actually updated their alarms so the new ones are not on the old default over-ride number
...and that is mostly the users fault, not the alarms fault for not entering their own PIN code. He says he could still over ride it - but that adds time to a theft and you'd need to know AVS quite well to bypass that.

Also, that's a TOTALLY different method to the way I know :) That method is specific to AVS

Quote from: snax;618302
wanted something like this, but it seems its illegal in NZ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

haha love it!

b00stinz

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 04:25:47 PM »
I just don't feel that confident in the product anymore. Remember a thread some guy made on here talking about the different alarms and manufacturers and how it's just a money game really? I'm starting to see it more and more now.

snax

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 04:41:55 PM »
you guys suck at good installer advice :p

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 04:46:18 PM »
Oh I know a guy who does installs... 2 actually!
One is living in Aussie and the other used to own a car audio/security business.... he's no longer operating but can still get the gear and do installs - only catch is, he's in Auckland :(

snax

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 05:13:48 PM »
uggggh, well - appreciate the discussion so far! things to watch out for eh...