Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Amplifier Positioning  (Read 946 times)

Mantis

• RB20DET
  • Nissan Laurel Medalist
    • View Profile
    • Nissan-dedicated Instagram
Amplifier Positioning
« on: October 25, 2013, 10:53:02 AM »
Hey guys, I'm thinking of installing a 300W amp in the cabin of my Laurel, just asking, would under the seat be an okay place for it? I know it needs room to breathe, so basically my question is, do the Laurel's have enough space under the passenger seat for the amplifier to not overheat?

When I took the seat out to clean it, there seemed to be a black plastic tubey thing, I'm guessing something that creates airflow into the car?

Cheers for any advice :)

Aubrey107

• RB25DET
    • View Profile
Amplifier Positioning
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 11:51:58 AM »
It should be fine. My old cef, I bolted the amp behind the back seat in the boot. So it is easier to adjust and right beside the sub aswell :)

BUC957

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
Amplifier Positioning
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 12:19:58 PM »
I prefer boot mounting amp's but the boss prefers under seat. i think a 300 under seat is fine. i run a 900WRMS soundstream under my seat and it hasn't overheated before. and i use all of its power  too. as for room to breathe in a laurel, if you put the amp under the seat, sit on and move the seat full travel without hitting, it'll be fine.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:22:16 PM by BUC957 »

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Amplifier Positioning
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »
Wattage and mounting location are not related. Basically, an amp just needs to be in an open space... under the seat is fine. Your only concern is - can it fit under the seat while making the install tidy? If so, fit it there... just make sure you can move the seat all the way forward and back with someone sitting on it.
That plastic tubey thing is a vent, part of the heating system. Cut it off flush and put some insulation tape over the hole so no more air can come out of that vent.

If you need help doing the install, flick me a PM. I should be able to guide you through it or if you're a real novice with audio, I can probably give you a hand to install it :)

BUC957

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
Amplifier Positioning
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »
I mentioned wattage for the heat produced element. I've left my vent open as when its on cool it cools the amp down more. but in saying that warm does the opposite. most amp's will be fine under seat. as long as seat has full movement, no wires get crushed or pinched and you have a good earth you'll be fine.

Mantis

• RB20DET
  • Nissan Laurel Medalist
    • View Profile
    • Nissan-dedicated Instagram
Amplifier Positioning
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 09:46:52 PM »
Quote from: BADHAB|T;621973
Wattage and mounting location are not related. Basically, an amp just needs to be in an open space... under the seat is fine. Your only concern is - can it fit under the seat while making the install tidy? If so, fit it there... just make sure you can move the seat all the way forward and back with someone sitting on it.
That plastic tubey thing is a vent, part of the heating system. Cut it off flush and put some insulation tape over the hole so no more air can come out of that vent.

If you need help doing the install, flick me a PM. I should be able to guide you through it or if you're a real novice with audio, I can probably give you a hand to install it :)

Cheers :)

And thanks everyone else, that question was really boggling my mind, I wasn't sure if there was a certain amount of space you needed, I'll check to see if I can fit my amp under my seat :D