Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: head unit replacement anyone done this!!  (Read 1425 times)

Mogiman

• SDU Member
  • RB20DET
    • View Profile
head unit replacement anyone done this!!
« on: November 16, 2013, 01:02:39 PM »
taken the old unit out, found a few wiring diagrams  so should be ok there
But the Aerial connector is looking a bit crazy, im picking the reason its has two stock cables is one is for aerial and one for the power to aerial motor????
Can anyone help or know where to get an adapter so i dont have to cut stock wires
Thanks
Gaming Since you were a twinkle in your daddy\'s eye...

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 02:14:41 PM »
The factory aerial is a pair of coaxial cables, one is for the main aerial, one is for the diversity aerial. You simply need a Nissan aerial adaptor to get the "normal" looking male aerial plug.
You will see a single wire running along side the coaxial cable, it branches off and joins into the main stereo wiring. Often has a plug on that wire too... this is the wire for the electric aerial. It gets connected to the Blue (Remote) wire on the stereo harness

Trademe or any car audio shop should stock these

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 02:18:22 PM »
Using my stereo install as an example... you can see that single wire (Red/Black) running parallel with the coaxial calbe

Mogiman

• SDU Member
  • RB20DET
    • View Profile
Thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 03:35:13 PM »
went too super cheap found all the bits needed no cutting all connections easy quick fit etc,
 Now to replace the speakers in the door panels and remove the rear speakers looks like that could be fun too, any easy ideas never taken the door panels off this car before!

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »
For the door - 3 screws along the bottom, 1 screw in the "handle" to pull the door closed.
Window switch has a stubborn clip near the top end, door handle has a plastic surround that unclips.
The rest of the door card is clipped on.
The window switch clip can be persuaded by a flat blade screw driver... there can be a bit of a knack to removing panels quickly and without damaging anything, unfortunately I can't "teach" you my years of experience over the net haha. Just give it a go, it's hard to mess it up if you're careful. Japanese cars, unlike Euros come apart very logically.

For the rear speakers - if you're sitting on the back seat, there is a a bolt behind where your calf is. One either side. The horizontal part of the seat will now lift, but it's still clipped down. Push it back toward the boot while lifting to help release the clips.
The vertical part of the seat has 2-3 bolts along the bottom, it's hard to miss them...
That part of the seat can be removed... lift it up and out. It's got upward facing hooks holding the top edge in place.
The parcel tray is clipped down... slide your hand under the cardboard tray and you'll pop the clips. Be gentle because you can rip/bend the cardboard tray if there are any stubborn clips.
You may need to loosen the C pillar trims... iirc they protrude through slits in the tray.

In the R33, the speakers are 6" (or 6.5" as they're commonly called, same thing) on all 4 corners. Good quality 2 way rear speakers and components up front will give you a very crisp clear sound :)

Mogiman

• SDU Member
  • RB20DET
    • View Profile
Thank you
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »
doors tomorrow,
 just finished the rears ,
got 6x9s with the head deck so used them ,used the jigsaw to cut out some wood spacers with jig provided as the old original plastics wouldnt fit the 6x9s re-used bolts bla bla bla reinstate tray could not get locking pins to relocate try again tomorrow,
bolt back seats realize forgot back seat bolts after bolting bottom seat back easy fix  lol ,tested ,holly @#$% what a difference.
Old speakers had blown dont know the correct term for it but the rubbery part around the edges( 17 yr old )speakers suspect same from door ones but have 6.5s to fit those ding ding round two.
Thank you for you help
Anyone with admin privileges could sticky this as super helpfull
Thanks again

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 07:06:23 PM »
Ah all good about the 6x9's, you've got them, may as well use them!
That rubbery part is called the "speaker surround" and it's very very typical for that to perish on Japanese cars. With the surround gone, the speaker cone is unsupported and rattles about creating that horrid noise you were hearing

Mogiman

• SDU Member
  • RB20DET
    • View Profile
pics
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 07:31:01 PM »
I know its not a big thing but feeling quite proud of myself for giving this a go was going to upload some pics but it wont let me tried reducing sizes etc..
Passenger door done ,about an hour to do for a noob including solder  etc. used original speaker holders and bent 2 of multi fit tabs up on the speakers up to fit .pulled all the panel clips out and fitted to the door before reinstall 55 mins to take off fit etc... about 2 min to put back on lol ,so panels still look stock with factory speaker covers mint .. have started on drivers door using reasonable force ,little bit harder to do just dont want to break anything as broke one clip on door handle cover on passenger side, still fits snug

The window switch clip can be persuaded by a flat blade screw driver??? front of door end?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 04:25:38 PM by Mogiman »

Mogiman

• SDU Member
  • RB20DET
    • View Profile
done
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 06:02:15 PM »
ended up pretty easy after the first door 15 mins later finally some good sound tested out with rudimental sounds mean cant believe I put up with it for so long

Thank you Again for your help

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 06:21:45 PM »
No problem at all mate :)
Just one thing to make sure you've got everything perfect... fade the sound to only the front left. Fade to the front/centre and pay close attention to the bass. Does it get louder or quieter?
Do the same for the rear pair.
Do the same from front to back.
In each case, the bass should get louder as you bring in more speakers. If it doesn't, report back :)
This will make sure the phasing is all correct. An untrained ear won't pick it without testing, but an out of phase speaker can dramatically change the sound you hear - for the worse. 1 out of phase speaker cancels out all bass across that pair.

Mogiman

• SDU Member
  • RB20DET
    • View Profile
Cheers
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 09:59:12 PM »
Alls good it seems, thanks for that I may have to get some sound proof for the doors and rear tray,as it sounds way better with the windows down think its because it drops in behind speaker.
Only one thing bugging me the head unit surround wont fit on so leaves very small gap between the tray ,head ,and A/C and Im not gona cut the trim to fit it ,Ill have to live with it ..
Still looks pretty tidy..
Not sure if im gona do a turbo next or take all the little dings and dents out and paint prob the later still need a few part from the +t.

Again thanks for the help
Think Ill have to become a paid up member so I can rock up and pick more brains

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »
That plastic surround is not designed to fit to any Nissan....

There are 2 types of stereo install - when you buy a stereo you get supplied parts so you can fit it one of the 2 ways. There is bracket mount installs and cage mount installs.
Nissan, Toyota, Subaru, some Mitsi are bracket mount. The cage and surround do not get used - although some people do butcher their fascia and force these parts to fit.
Honda, Euro, Mazda etc are cage mounted. The cage (that metal sleeve) slides in and that plastic surround is simply a cover to hide the exposed edges of the cage.

You're right though, aftermarket installs in a Nissan do leave a small gap around the outside of the stereo. The place I used to work at stocked a trim that filled that gap perfectly. You could make one out of thin plastic... but Ed is the man to talk to if you want to buy one - Ed's Auto Services http://www.edsauto.co.nz/images/PDF_Catalogue/Nissan.pdf Bottom left No361 I'm sure is the trim we stocked