Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: 20DET manual reverse lights  (Read 2350 times)

ExtremeBean

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
20DET manual reverse lights
« on: June 05, 2014, 05:35:15 PM »
So ever since my manual conversion in my RB25DE, my reverse lights have not been working (RB20det gearbox). I assume that they just forgot to plug in the switch thingy, but i have no idea where this is or how to go about fixing it.

If anyone could steer me in the right direction, it would be most appreciated!

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
Reverse switch is on the gearbox itself.... first port of call would be to have a look under there and see if it's plugged in :)

ExtremeBean

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 09:31:36 PM »
So i went under the car the other day and there's two plugs. One nearer the engine side, and one near the gear stick side. The one nearest the engine is plugged into something. I tried taking the plug out and plugging it into the one nearer the gear stick but nothing.

Annnyway, i did my research on the matter and it turns out you don't actually have to have reverse lights for a WOF. Basically it's the same deal as fog lights, either they both work, or neither of them work. I guess this is because a lot of cars came without reverse lights? Maybe. Anyway, i'll take it for a wof tomorrow and we'll know for sure.

Tomy255

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 11:31:37 AM »
You dont need reverse lights for wof? i've always been told you need them and i can see why haha

promaori

• RB20DET
  • 1988 A31 RB20E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 11:41:11 AM »
The one closest to the engine is the reverse switch. If its a manual conversion, it can be used with the auto gear selector plug on one of the plugs next to the battery/fuse box.

ExtremeBean

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 05:58:40 PM »
Yeah i think i'm just gonna not bother hahah unless the WOF guy says otherwise, but this is taken from the Vehicle Inspection Requirements Manual - "Note 2: A reversing lamp that does not comply with condition and performance requirements must be made to comply or be disabled so that it does not emit a light. "

BADHAB|T

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 06:17:44 PM »
Yeah as far as I know you don't need reverse lights for a WoF.... if the car has 2 reverse lights and one is blown then it will fail. But if both aren't working it will pass. Odd, I know!

Mine didn't work for ages (reverse plug was undone, didn't need them so wasn't bothered about jacking up the car and doing up the plug). Never failed a WoF as a result... or got a warning. They're working now and I'm SO glad they are... makes reversing on dark driveways so much easier lol

ExtremeBean

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 12:24:57 PM »
Yeah i'll find out today for sure :P

But yeeesss, that is a downside I've discovered. Reversing out of the girlfriends driveway at night is a bit of a mission. Even had her stand behind the car with a flashlight once :laugh:

Also people in car-parks have no idea either. I guess you just have to be a bit more careful - but i am hopeless with electrics so I think it might just stay reverselightless for a while if it saves me from swearing at the underside of my car.

ExtremeBean

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 07:21:03 PM »
So turns out they don't even check the reverse lights haha.

On a side note, AK autos is a really good place to go for WOF's on the shore. Run by a genuine guy called Alan, he failed me on 3 small things but then just fixed them for me as we were talking about the car. Will definitely be going there again, it's hard to find genuine mechanics these days.