Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: rocker cover gaskets  (Read 1891 times)

deepdarkminimal

• RB26DETT
  • www.nzprojectcars.com
    • View Profile
    • NZ Project Cars
rocker cover gaskets
« on: May 28, 2015, 02:58:29 PM »
Just wondering how long these usually last and what makes them leak?

Replaced mine about a year ago and they were perfectly fine
since then i have removed the rockers probably twice and now they seem to leak near the back

they dont look worn or anything, i havnt used any silicone sealant as i have never had to before.

**Also wondering if theres anywhere we can get the little rubber orings that go around the screws for the rockers,
mine are quite old and cracked.

Cheers
www.nzprojectcars.com
NZ's newest dedicated project car forum

30ed32

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
Re: rocker cover gaskets
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 06:34:50 PM »
It's best to use sealant on the half moons, that's where you're most likely to leak
lol everything I say is just made up, don\'t pay any attention

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 08:16:57 PM »
The washers under the screws should be replaced at the same time. If not it will leak (common problem). Torque was around 3-4 nm for those screws.

You can buy a Permaseal gasket kit that comes with washers, halfmoons x2, oil filler cap gasket, camcover gaskets x 2.

You do need to put some liquid gasket on halfmoons too head and on top of halfmoons. Same area on front on both sides and leave it to dry.

deepdarkminimal

• RB26DETT
  • www.nzprojectcars.com
    • View Profile
    • NZ Project Cars
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 10:02:48 AM »
thanks for the replies guys

i might just redo them with new gaskets including the screw seals (hopefully not too expensive lol)
and ill be sure to put a bit of sealant on the half moons, cheers.
www.nzprojectcars.com

fast4motion

• RB20DET
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
Can anybody confirm (with first hand experience) that the rubber seals are required under the screw heads?
Because from memory the screws are "outside" the rocker gasket and thread into blind holes, so not subjected to any oil at all.

deepdarkminimal

• RB26DETT
  • www.nzprojectcars.com
    • View Profile
    • NZ Project Cars
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 01:21:01 PM »
After looking at a quick reference photo on Google it looks like the screw holes are outside of the gasket like you mentioned.

So therefore they would already be sealed by the main rocker cover gaskets and I guess the screw rubbers are redundant.

I guess they just provide pressure to seal and a cushion for the screw.

Mine arent leaking from screw holes by the looks anyways, my screw rubbers are really old and cracked though so may need to replace them anyway.
www.nzprojectcars.com

gtsr

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 12:27:51 PM »
You're welcome. :)

If the washers are really squashed, cracked they have had it.

The head is aluminium and can twist when goes through hot, cold cycles. I think the washers under the screws are to allow the camcover gaskets to remain sealed when the head twist's (may only be a slight bit, not enough to break the seal on headgasket) and may help to prevent warping the camcovers. Why I think this is there is a sequence to tighten down, remove the camcovers to prevent warping the camcovers.

Also when I mean leave the liquid gasket to dry, I mean for half a day or maybe more, not 20 minutes or so and that's with the camcover seals installed, camcovers on, screws in + tightened down, etc.