Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: blown speaker - help  (Read 1061 times)

PeteSmith

blown speaker - help
« on: June 24, 2001, 01:23:29 AM »
ok. i just installed a new clarion head unit in my car which chucks out 45w per channel. Now I dont have an amp and running 4 speakers off it.

The one i pulled out was a factory unit (were talking toyota here btw) with running through a small amp installed just behind it.

Since installed i think i have blown the front drivers side speaker (it makes this ****ty vibrating noise) - i am thinking maybe it cant handle 45w??  If i go down to strathfield and buy just some plain 4" sony speakers for $55 a pair do you think it will blow them up - or could it be the install job.?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave.

forsaken

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
blown speaker - help
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2001, 11:22:20 AM »
how old is the car? it is possible that the speaker surround had degraded due to uv and the new headunit mearly showed up the crappienes of the factory speakers.

If you replace them with the sony's I don't think you would have any problems.

Good luck and may the force be with you.:karate:  (gotta love that smilie)
Framed A3 Photographs for sale PM for information

The Great One

blown speaker - help
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2001, 02:42:13 PM »
If your thinking about getting 4" Sony speakers, go to Repco and grab the two way 4" Sony Xplode speakers, they're like $50 pair.  
Get the XSF1011 model..

I've got a pair installed in the front door panels in my R32.  As for the performance they're handle pretty well, and sounds great although I am still running the factory headunit but it'll go sweet with your clarion headunit.  One if the best 4" speakers I've heard so far.   :D

Laterz

PeteSmith

blown speaker - help
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2001, 06:52:57 PM »
Tazdev,

I dont really think thats the case cos they were really clear and loud before - now i just turn off the stereo cos its ****ting me.

The Great One,
Yeh, theyre the ones im getting :-)

also, could it possibly be the wiring as only one of the front speakers seems to have died?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2001, 11:12:57 AM by PeteSmith »

skyzerr33

factory's
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2001, 11:30:59 PM »
usually factory speakers are bad and can't handle the xtra power from an amp. there usually very weak items ie taking 5-15 w

PeteSmith

re:
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2001, 11:40:40 AM »
yeh, replaced on monday with 80w sonys.. the original where a huge ..... 15w.. anyway, all sounds very nice now.