Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: R32 GTS4 - "Stumbling" on acceleration  (Read 824 times)

ph1

R32 GTS4 - "Stumbling" on acceleration
« on: June 09, 2001, 09:35:03 PM »
ajogie
(10/21/00 5:23:06 am)
Reply  R32 GTS4 - "Stumbling" on acceleration
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Hi all,

My GTS4 "stumbles" on acceleration and above 100Kmh, i.e. it feels as if the Fuel Filter is clogged. I changed the fuel filter and the problem is still there.

I checked my fuel pressure and on idle it is about 30psi, which I think is normal. All of the spark plugs are fine and timing is at 15 degrees.

The Injector duty cycle was checked and the injectors are staying open too long (according to the Mechanic). In addition, the car is drinking fuel - one tank lasts 200KM!. The O2 Sensor and Water Temp. Sensors are fine. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be the problem?

Could it be the Fuel pump in its early stages of failing? Would this explain the symptoms?

thanks,
ajogie

Baje  
(10/21/00 5:56:44 am)
Reply  Fuel pressure
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Hey Ajogie

From my GTR manual the fuel pressure at idle should be 36psi, and 43psi with the vacuum hose off. I think (subject to correction by someone who knows more than me) that it's the same for the RB20DET motor.

Sounds either like the pump or the regulator is on the way out. Be careful of running lean - don't want to blow it up again  

GTS4 Ben  
(10/23/00 1:00:23 pm)
  Re: Fuel pressure
 I have the same problem, a surging under accelaration. At the drag racing I noticed it, I though maybe my car was pinging also, but I think that may have been the stuff of my tires bouncing under the car and making the crackling sound.
I rhave had this for a while, and my car has always ran 14.4's down the 1/4.. is it the fuel pump, I heard some people made the gap smaller in their plugs.?

Ben

ajogie
(10/24/00 1:50:24 am)
Reply  Re: Fuel pressure
 Hi all,

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I changed the Fuel Pump and Fuel Pressure Regulator this weekend. The car accelerates beautifully and the stumbling is gone.

Hey GTS4Ben, that crackling sound could be DETONATION! Try retarding your timing and using a can of Octane Booster. Believe me, you DON'T want to know what detonation can do to an RB20DET, especially if you are running at extra boost.

thanks,
ajogie

GTS4 Ben  
(10/24/00 8:53:05 am)
  Re: Fuel pressure
 You changed the fuel pump and regulator, how much was all that?

It seems to be ok, I tried it off the track down the road and could hear nothing. If it was pinging, wouldn't I see a large power drop and lower times down the 1/4?

I will look into that.

Ben