Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Erratic tickover  (Read 710 times)

ph1

Erratic tickover
« on: June 09, 2001, 09:36:00 PM »
McIndoe Designs
(10/18/00 8:57:00 am)
Reply  Erratic tickover
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 When the motor is at normal operating temperature the tickover surges up and down between 800rpm and down to 400rpm. Would it be best if I reset the ECU first?

jerjer
(10/18/00 2:50:38 pm)
Reply  Re: Erratic tickover
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Are you referring to the idle surging?

I had the same problem... what is the current idle level (when the car isn't surging?)... mine was set at too few revs (i think about 500).. increasing the idle level to 800 fixed the problem

hope it helps

McIndoe Designs
(10/19/00 9:18:22 am)
 Yes I was referring to the idle revs. As soon as the motor is warm it will idle around 700 then shortly after a few miles it will begin to surge. The engine is an RB25DET ('93 R33 GTS25t), I use 97 octane fuel and frequently add an injector cleaner to the fuel. Where and how do you adjust the idle speed? I'll have a play with the idle first. Cheers.

Waks
(10/20/00 11:01:17 pm)
 well mine doesn't have a erratic idle, but it does idle at about 800-900rpm.

how do I lower the idle??

Quicksilver
(10/27/00 10:35:17 pm)
 Mines tick over occasionally when it is cold in the morning. switch engine off and then on and it disappears
strange!!!

Player
(10/28/00 11:33:13 am)
 I hope this is not your problem as it is expensive, but my idle suruged like you describe when my blow off valve was leaking. You can check this by putting your hand over the outlet and seeing if there is any change. On my car the idle speed control is a flat head screw on the throttle body, under a wee rubber cap. Umm, Ahh, it's not a Skyline however. Good luck problem solving.

Dak
(10/28/00 3:07:18 pm)
 The idle speed adjustment on a RB motor is at the rear of the intake manifold, you will see quite a large screw facing out towards the brake master cylinder.

McIndoe Designs
(11/7/00 7:34:45 am)
Reply  Re: Erratic idle speed
 Thanks all for your help. The problem did seem to be the idle speed set too low when warm (thanks jerjer). I had the B.O.V. checked and that was o.k. (phew). The idle adjuster was corrected by a small screw and locking nut at the throttle linkage on the body ( linkage stop), the only other adjustment appeared to be for the throttle cable. I now run at 750rpm at idle, no surging!!! It didn't take much to make the difference.  

Dak
(11/7/00 5:47:50 pm)
Reply  Re: Erratic idle speed
 You are not meant to use the adjuster you described to set idle speed. That is just a throttle stop to prevent the butterfly binding when full closed. Use the screw I described above to set idle speed.

Cheers, Dak.