Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Can you Use a Multimeter to check for a bad coil  (Read 691 times)

ph1

Can you Use a Multimeter to check for a bad coil
« on: June 09, 2001, 09:37:57 PM »
twofingersj
(11/23/00 3:26:10 am)
Reply  Can you Use a Multimeter to check for a bad coil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all,
I am having an Occasional miss at idle, and I am thinking that one of the coils is going bad, Can you use a multimeter to check for a bad coil and if so How.

I will be changing the Plugs shortly for some Genuine Nissan Ngk Platinum 7's. and having the Injectors taken out and cleaned. so I will want to check the coils when I am replacing the plugs.

Cheers

Drifter
Unregistered User
(11/24/00 12:06:43 pm)
Reply  Coils
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Check for any cracks or oil leaking out of them 1st.
This can cause missing. Common on multi coil Beemers.

itsmedarren
(11/24/00 1:39:41 pm)
Reply  apparently not...
 I asked Advanced Imports sometime ago if there is a way to check if any coils are on the way out, and they said no. I was going wayyyy down the line, have had coils probs b4 and didn't want to be running on 5 cylinders 4 hours from home, so just had to risk it.

Coils you say ? don't get me started...

SATO GTS
(11/24/00 6:07:35 pm)
Reply  Re: Can you Use a Multimeter to check for a bad coil
how many coils are on the RB T series motors???
if there is six then you can check the primary and secondary resistance of the coils .
use a ohmmeter on the two pin's for the coil(the one that the power connect's too is the primary side it is around .3 to 1.0 ohms... secondary is from the connector that goes onto the spark plug, then to one of the pins that the power goes to POSTIVE OR NEGITIVE ,this is around 7 to 20 thousand ohms..THESE ARE ROUND FIGURE'S NOT GOSPEL.... ..if you get a infinite or out of spec reading it's a faulty coil..i do not know what the coil spec's are..
THIS MAY HELP U GUYS OUT A LITTLE...
this is just to give you a idea of a base reading to go buy

i take no responsiblity for any @#%$ up's!!!!!!!!!

see ya

twofingersj
(11/28/00 2:23:43 am)
Reply  Idle Miss
 Thanks a lot guys, I have installed new NGK platinum plugs which I gapped to 0.8 mm and the miss is now gone.

Sato GTS there are 6 coils in the RB20DET as it uses direct fire, Coil on plugs.

Regards

SATO GTS
(11/28/00 7:37:28 pm)
Reply  Re: Can you Use a Multimeter to check for a bad coil
cheers that u sorted it out
it is usually always the simple things that go wrong..
did you happen to check the coils ne way???

see ya