Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: R32 Oil Pressure  (Read 2491 times)

ph1

R32 Oil Pressure
« on: June 09, 2001, 09:39:28 PM »
Greg S
SDU Local User
(6/24/00 11:50:51 am)
Reply  R32 Oil Pressure
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Hi guys,

Just a small querry, I have a common problem with my oil pressure gauge, where it shows very little or no oil pressure, when actually it's OK. Is this a faulty sender unit or dirty contacts? I know certain oils (such as mobil 1) is very thin oil and doesn't register much, at the moment I am using Pennzoil GT Sport, which I think is pretty good, my car seems to like it anyway.
The problem doesn't concern me that much, however,
If anyone can shed any light on the oil pressure problem, that would be great.

Cheers  

Greg (SDU member and fan)

Reel Zone
EZ Board Global User
(6/24/00 12:26:12 pm)
Reply  Re: R32 Oil Pressure
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Yeah - the sender is suspect. I had one replaced, and then about a year later it starts acting up again. As long as you engine doesn't sound like the men with hammers are trying to get out ;-)

Edited by Reel Zone at: 6/24/00 12:45:30 pm

GTST89
User yet to create ID
(6/28/00 1:47:40 pm)
Reply  R32 oil pressure
 My r32 GTST had oil pressure guage problems when i bought it. The gguage would read zero or very low after about an hour of running. The problem went away after about an yaer . probably due to putting synthetic oil (Mobil 1)in it for about a year and flushing it every oil change.. Now gauge runs fine

bmcg73
EZ Board Global User
(6/28/00 5:09:42 pm)
 My R31 Skyline has a similar problem. When the car is at idle the gauge reads virtually nil, yet as soon as the car lifts off idle the gauge goes up to normal range. I know the R31s had problems with dud ancillary gauges - my volts gauge can be frightening to look at at times, maybe R32s have a similar problem.

Leep
Unregistered User
(7/7/00 9:13:53 pm)
Reply  Dropping Oil Pressure
 Driving out Skline GTS4 round tonight I noticed that when the turbo kicks in the oil pressure drops to nothing then bounces back up. Never noticed it before !! No mods and the oil pump oring was fixed three months ago.

Any ideas ???
Ta

Vince aka Razor  
(7/7/00 11:10:16 pm)
  Re: Dropping Oil Pressure
 this sounds like we have all had simular problems with oil pressure readings.. I have changed to Valviline snythetic gread.. and at 2,500 rpm I am at 5 ish on the guage.. just on about 4 at idle.. and when on full boost hit 6... Penzoil.. well it is nearly half those readings and moble1 is better than Penzoil but less than the Valvaline.. sticking with my current as fuel economy has increased also.. and so did the warm up time which means it is lubricating better.. back in the states Valvaline is all I used and never had a lick of probs.. up to you guys though..
Vice President
Razor SDU mad!

Leep
Unregistered User
(7/12/00 5:58:48 pm)
Reply  Re: Dropping Oil Pressure
 Got the Oil pressure checked OK but found it was a faulty sender. Nissan bit cost $189 + GST and similar non branded cost $100incl.

Zapf
(7/12/00 6:44:38 pm)
 I recon Penzoil is really not what they hype it to be. I am using Mobil 1 5-50, it is well priced and performs well.

Zapf

GSR32
(7/12/00 11:11:18 pm)
 Far out man....

Everyone's car is different, I think we all agree...YES.

I put Pennzoil in, not because of any hype, I have tried Mobil 1, used it for ages in fact. My car is starting to speak to me now, it seems to love Pennzoil.

Thought......
Actually, I only started putting Pennzoil in at the same time I started doing my own oil services.
This could mean 1 of 2 things......

1. I am doing a better job than the mechanics.
2. My car loves the Pennzoil right down to the chocolate chewy centre.  

Zapf
(7/13/00 12:33:21 pm)

GTR dreamer
(7/28/00 9:43:14 pm)
 can anyone please tell me where to find the oil pressure sensor probe on the rb20de, and whether or not it is fixable. Also does it matter to the ECU etc. if the sensor is faulty, and pressure gauge reads 0 most of time?
cheers.

Edited by GTR dreamer at: 7/28/00 9:47:41 pm

Dak
(7/28/00 11:01:20 pm)
 The sender is on the right hand side of the block under the intake manifold, just in front of the starter motor. As for the ECU, no I don't think it would affect anything, but you never know.

Zilla Jr  
(7/31/00 7:14:01 am)
 Hi Guys,

I had a problem with oil pressure on the weekend, I had none, an hour earlier it seemed fine but when I next started it there was none. I rang Rob at War and told him the problem he said change the oil, so I did and all is sweet. Thanks Rob your a GENIUS, I didn't think it could be the oil because its only just been serviced, they used Castrol GTX which is obviously CRAP.

Zapf
(7/31/00 12:58:47 pm)
Reply  Castrol GTX
Yes, Castrol GTX is crap.... When I used to own a Toyota, I took it to Gil Trap toyota for a service, they put GTX3 into it. After getting the car back it won't rev anymore.... so I pulled into a service station and find the oil is blacker that before the service. So 4L of Mobil 1 0W-40 went in there that evening.

GSR32
(7/31/00 8:04:57 pm)
Reply  Re: Oils and Pressure
 Well, my knowledge of oils is a bit rusty at the moment.

However, although many use Mobil 1 religiously (like I use to when I 1st bought my skyline) I found that with Mobil 1 the pressure read low (Rob said the same about his also,if I can recall). Mobil 1 is a fully synthetic oil, and most fully synthetic oils are thinner than regular oils, hense this could explain lower oil pressure readings.

I now use a semi-synthetic oil rated 10W-40. Which now gives me some oil pressure according to my gauge.

Now, this is where my knowledge needs a recap.

What the numbers mean? They represent the viscousity of the oil etc. Can anyone help clarify this for me in more detail perhaps. Zapf said he uses 0W-40, seems very very very thin to me, or maybe I am going of the wrong number.

Zapf
(7/31/00 9:52:34 pm)
Reply  Oil
 Generally speaking if you have a new Engine < 10'000km. You should use a thicker oil e.g 15W-50. Since the parts in the Engine is still new and are grinding with each other more and grooving their running tracks into each other. So they need a thicker oil for more protection.
Once thats done, e.g > 10'000km then you should switch to a really fine and slippery oil. Like Mobil 1 5W-50 or Castro RS 10W-60. Since you want to keep your engine as close to the new condition as possible and engine wear to minium.
As your engine wears away, thicker oil will be required to fill up the gaps left by the worn away metal. So hence regular oils or simi-synthetic oil.
I try to use the best synthetic oil possible, because it prevents most of the wear on startup and provides lease friction to the engine parts, hence wasting less energy and make your car that little bit faster.
When I quoted I was running Mobil 1 0W-40, that was for a N/A 1.6 4A-FE Toyota engine, they don't run as hot as a turbo car hence the need for a high heat range don't exist. I was optimizing it for performance, and yes the 4A-FE your normal coroller engine revs to red line and still wants more....
I would not use the 0W-40 in my skyline, as I belive the heat range is not high enough. 5W-50 of the Mobil 1, I belive is the good all round oil. And the really good one are Castrol RS 10W-60. But you will expect to pay up to $100 for 4L of that.
Just for your reference:
Mobil 1 5W-50 ~$50 4L
Mobil 1 0W-40 ~$80 4L
Castrol RS 10W-60 ~ >$100 4L
or there is
BP Visco 4/5000 which I think is 5W-50 as well and is cheaper than the Mobil 1 5W-50 and still does a good job.

I know a mechanic who has done a test using different engine oil, and he rates the Motrol best. Then Mobil one and Pennzoil in the bottom. Lots of advice I have been given is that in general the best engine oil comes from Europe.

Disclaimer:
I hope I don't offend any loyal users out there, but this is what I know. And if I did offend anyone, I don't mean it and I offer my Apologies.

Zapf

Reel Zone
(8/1/00 9:05:21 am)
  Re: Oil
 My father has quite a background in oils in engine applications - he's overseas at the moment so I can't ask him for some of the horror stories he comes up with from time to time.

There is quite a good FAQ that gets posted to rec.autos.tech on usenet every so often, a copy can be found here:

http://www.wagoneers.com/john/AM...lfaq2.html

Anyway if you want to do something interesting, get some blotting paper, and put a drip of warm engine oil in the centre of a piece about A6 sized. Put it somewhere warm to dry, like on your dashboard. Don't let it get wet. I'll dig up a oil diagnostics chart and post it here sometime (as soon as I can put my hands on it!)

itsmedarren
(8/2/00 2:39:37 pm)
Reply  Re: Oil
 a mechanic friend of mine told me a story about a high profile aussie oil manuf (yes it's anecdotal) that was taken to court by a vehicle fleet owner who used their synthetic oil because it was highly recommended. The fleet was having problems, turned out the synthetic oil would break down quite suudenly and then the engines would pack it in 'cos of no protection.

I did run pennzoil synth in '89 gts-t, and noticed that one day the oil pressure suddenly started to vary (like going down to nothing and then slowly coming back up, after about 7,000k's since last change) I had never had any probs like this. Had a chat with said friend, he pursed his lips and shook his head at the synthetic oil and recomended penns non synth. He rerckons that syth oil can be fine, then suddenly it'll turn to water. have put in non synth, car has been fine, pressure stays constant. Mechanic friend builds 500+ horsepower ford v8's that have literally twisted the occasional non strengthened chassis, so no bozo here.

Just putting my 2 cents worth.

racer
Unregistered User
(8/2/00 8:37:34 pm)
Reply  oil pressure
 Hey do you guys have a leaking rocker cover gasket I
heard that it can cause funny oil pressures and a lot
of seaping oil on the side of your motor and where your coils are.

Baje  
(8/14/00 2:21:51 pm)
Reply  Oil pressure, vacuum and two puzzled people
 Sort of in line with what Racer wrote, my brother-in-law has a weird problem.

He just replaced his RB25DE with a RB20DET, an older model without a blowoff valve. On starting the engine (no disassembly was done prior to installation - not even an oil filter change, the bum!  ) he gets zero oil pressure on the dash gauge, and the dipstick whistles as air is sucked into the block. If the oil cover is removed, there's a rushof air inwards. The block and head are under vacuum at idle, but we can't figure out why, nor can we figure out why no oil pressure on the dash.

There seems to be oil at the top of the engine, so I'm assuming that since the mechanic had to swap lots of stuff to get the old harness to work with the new engine (wouldn't work with the new harness for some reason) that they forgot to plug in the wire for the oil press sensor.

Otherwise the engine runs fine, if a bit down on power, compared to mine.

Anyone got any ideas?

PS we changed the filter this afternoon.

Saurus
Unregistered User
(8/14/00 5:33:11 pm)
Reply  problem
 Check the pcv valve.

Baje  
(8/15/00 3:26:03 am)
Reply  Re: problem
 Thanks, Saurus, I'll get him to do that today.

nissky
Unregistered User
(9/22/00 4:29:52 pm)
Reply  r32 gts-t
 I use Mobil 1 and i get normal oil pressure readings.
Except under very severe braking to a full stop, in which case, oil pressure goes to zero and oil warning light comes on.
Oil pressure jumps back to normal after stopped, I assume this is normal and is just the oil being forced
away from pressure sensor during decceleration.

Dak
(9/22/00 4:56:45 pm)
Reply  Re: r32 gts-t
 Err, I'd say more than likely it isn't that it's getting away from the pressure sender, more likely the it's getting away from the pickup in the sump and your engine would be losing all oil pressure.

nissky
Unregistered User
(9/22/00 5:10:29 pm)
Reply  r32gts-t
 Ummm....Is this normal??

Only happens right at the very end when almost stopped.
And basically braking a hard as possible just before lockup.

Dak
(9/22/00 9:46:19 pm)
Reply  Re: r32gts-t
 Hmm, never done it with mine, but then I don't brake that hard :-) Have noticed a lot of other cars that do do this, all depends on the design of the sump and pickup. Don't know where the pickup is in a RB motor, front or rear area of the sump, but if it was at the front you shouldn't get this happening.

Sinesweep
(11/20/00 7:16:57 pm)
Reply  Mobil 1 5w50 reads 2kg/cm3 at idle when warm.
 As the topic says I have just changed to Mobil 1 5w50 - for the next coupla thousand k's anyway. Now at idle when warm it sits on about 2kg/cm3 (a quarter of the gauge) which "looks" low to me (Startup is about 5 and the old semisynthetic never got below 4).
She sounds fine, boosts and warms up quicker so I am happy with that but not if 2 is too low.
Any comments as to whether this is Too low ?

Sinesweep
(11/20/00 7:20:11 pm)
Reply  Mobil 1 5w50 reads 2kg/cm3 at idle when warm.
 As the topic says I have just changed to Mobil 1 5w50 - for the next coupla thousand k's anyway. Now at idle when warm it sits on about 2kg/cm3 (a quarter of the gauge) which "looks" low to me (Startup is about 5 and the old semisynthetic never got below 4).
She sounds fine, boosts and warms up quicker so I am happy with that but not if 2 is too low.
Any comments as to whether this is Too low ?

Mines a '95 R33 auto - I know it's not as per topic but its the most suitable thread I found

GSR32
(12/27/00 5:47:20 pm)
Reply  Oil talk again
 OK, a while ago I asked if anyone could explain what the numbers meant on oil, eg 10W40.

I am trying to work out what grade I should use.

I just want the THEORY at this stage, not what brand's or rating's people are using.

Thanks

Greg

GraemeWi
(12/27/00 6:07:26 pm)
  Re: Oil talk again
 There is an Oil FAQ here in two parts

http://www.wagoneers.com/john/AM...lfaq1.html

http://www.virtual-cafe.com/~joh...lfaq2.html

Part two is the bit about viscosity.

GSR32
(12/27/00 6:53:13 pm)
Reply  SAE number breakdown
 hmmmm....cheers GraemeWi.  

Gosh, it's quite complicated really isn't it.

I might not look too much into what was written in those links, it has confused me a little. I was hoping that the numbers would be a bit more easier to understand, maybe someone has another answer and can explain it in a simpler way.