Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Pod Filter Question  (Read 759 times)

"33T"

Pod Filter Question
« on: February 21, 2002, 03:53:55 PM »
Hey guys,
I've got a HKS pod filter on my 33, how may k's would guys do before cleaning/re-oiling it etc? mine doesn't look dirty but have had the car 5months.
would u pull it completly apart at the same time and clean the AFM? have heard of cars running like S**t coz there AFM's are covered in crap...

thanks for your help :p

Matt

"33T"

Pod Filter Question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2002, 10:43:41 AM »
comon guys?
one would think it's a fairly simple question if u have the knowlage which im sure most of you do?

jay51

Pod Filter Question
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2002, 06:34:34 PM »
Ichange the engine oil and filter every 5000klm. Also clean the air filter though it's a pain in the ass job

SDU4EVA

Pod Filter Question
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2002, 06:32:33 AM »
33 T. hi how are you?
yeah just clean the pod filter when you change oil. If every 5000km it wont be dirty but clean it anyways and once you know how to take it off it becomes easy.
Do not use oil on the filter. as they clog up the AFM eventually and as long as you keep the filter nice clean and dry you wont have to clean the AFM. Cleaning AFM arent recommended because they are very very very sensitive. Dont clean AFM unless you have problems and its the last resort.

"33T"

Pod Filter Question
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2002, 12:41:19 PM »
kool, thanks for repying
got it checked out when i got my car serviced today, they were actally suprised how clean it is, i knew it looked clean but it's just peace of mind knowing whats best =)

Matt

rev210

• RB26DETT
    • View Profile
    • http://
Pod Filter Question
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2002, 11:26:08 PM »
Oil it if its meant to be oiled or get another type of filter.

The AFM can be cleaned by spraying it with an aerosol version of iso-propyl alchohol or CO cleaner. Go buy some from Dicksmith for $10 should last a few years. This stuff wont harm the AFM as it leaves no residue and is non corrosive.

10k-15k is about all you need to clean at unless you drive in dusty conditions.
R32 1991 GTR (australian version) - sold
R33 gtst - sold
datsun 1200ute A14 turbo

Forsteen

Pod Filter Question
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2002, 01:36:54 PM »
I'm gonna have to tell you the truth.  I'm too lazy to clean the thing when I can go out and buy a new one for 2,500 Yen.  I change whenever it looks too dirty or around oil change.

Unique Skylines

CLEANING FILTERS
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2002, 02:31:02 PM »
HKS do not recommend cleaning although I think you can at least once.  I have seen a few where they shrink back from age and under bonnet heat and you then get unfiltered air straight in. BAD.  AFM sort of self cleans when you start car on Nissans anyway I have heard by burning off muck.  In Perth with all their sand and other places a little more tricky best not to use HKS or  or their new metal fine mesh type like Blitz have as will sand blast turbo.
02 Rush or Unifilter, filter better and can clean properly also.  We believe 02 Rush a little better as thickers and coarse and dual layer with outer layer corrogated for 50% increase surface area for cleaning.  They can be pulled apart and cleaned both easily and thoroughly unlike  K&N which are good but can't be cleaned properly.  Their 1 million plus  mile or even k warranty is a Joke.  Have a look on a K&N box they come in next time you see one and see how they admit loss of performance.  New  K&N ram pod larger type  876cfm (these are about right but from memory), and  in fact half the flow after 42,000miles  to  474cfm comparing to new foam filter being only 376, ( foam found in lounge chair maybe) they are indirectly admitting that their filter blocks over time and even after trying to clean it does not clean too well and still traps dirt in its dense thin element.  They say not to use a air blower which damages the cotton material which disintergrates as well as packs it which happens anyway and they distort and trap dirt and discolour over time even after cleaning or trying to.   Plus they only suck from the sides.
The go is foam HKS if willing to pay for it including replacing the element is the go and not in sandy areas or  02 Rush which flows over 900 cfm by the way and for many years.
Just me input check it out though.  Also note ram pods are technically illegal and remmember the heat intake increase without ducting and partition.

Blitz

Pod Filter Question
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2002, 04:59:40 AM »
wow now thats a reply.

I replaced my HKS element which was greasy as hell. very easy to remove and disassemble the air filter and pop the cage off to add the new foam lining. took me 15 mins.