Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: overheating  (Read 709 times)

ph1

overheating
« on: June 09, 2001, 09:39:57 PM »
jjstead
(6/4/00 11:27:29 am)
Reply  overheating
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 I have a HR32 GTS-t which sometimes overheats. I have checked the thermostat which is fine. The radiator also
seems clear. What do I look for now???

ace
User yet to create ID
(6/4/00 2:57:34 pm)
Reply  overheating
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Check the v belts to make sure there not slipping, also check the vicous fan clutch, it should have slight resistance to turning when the engine is cold. Have a mechanic check for signs of a blown head-gasket.

jjstead
SDU Local User
(6/4/00 8:48:04 pm)
Reply  overheating
 Thanks for the comments Ace. I have checked the v-belt and fan and these check o.k. I have also checked for signs of head gasket probems but there is not water in the oil, bubbling in the radiator etc, I am not loosing any water under normal conditions. Any other suggestions???

BJr30  
EZ Board Global User
(6/5/00 12:18:46 am)
Reply  Re: overheating
 Does the water look like it's moving Through the radiator?? Could Be water Pump itself!! Or Just scale Blocking the radiator Maybe??Try Blowing the bugs & crap out of the rad also.
Bryan-S.D.U Northland guy

Edited by BJr30   at: 6/5/00 12:20:00 am

jjstead
SDU Local User
(6/8/00 6:45:54 am)
Reply  overheating
 good point does anyone know if the water pump is a common problem??

PROVL
Unregistered User
(7/7/00 2:58:30 pm)
Reply  Overheating
 no it is very rare for a rb water pump to play up, in general they are a very good water pump.

Vince aka Razor  
(7/7/00 3:50:50 pm)
  Re: Overheating
 I would not say that about the water pump. Since most R32's are going on 10 years old. The seals have a tendency to rot over time regardless of how well you maintain it. My R32 GTS just spit the water pump a month ago right out of the blue.
Vice President
Razor SDU mad!

GSR32
(7/7/00 6:28:54 pm)
Reply  Re: Overheating
 Sorry PROVL, I am also in same position as Vince, my water pump stuffed out on me too (r32 gts-t), luckily mine was covered by the warrantee when I bought the car.

Disco
Unregistered User
(12/31/00 9:14:14 am)
Reply  Overheating
 If the car has not been run with the correct mix of coolant (quite probable in Japan)the cast iron block corrodes on the water passages. This dissolved iron usually precipitates in the aluminium radiator and starts to block the tubes. My R33GTS25t had this problem even though I drained and flushed the cooling system as soon as I got the car off the boat. Get your rad checked by a good radiator shop(Pukekohe Radiators 09-2386383) do a good job. Also check the heater hose fitting on the back of the block above the starter motor, this can errode from the inside and leak very slightly. This was also happening on mine, it was also sucking in air when cooling down which made things worse.

Duane
(12/31/00 12:11:46 pm)
Reply  Re: Overheating
 Provl, I do not know of an RB engine that *hasn't* had water pump failure. My Skylines got a new waterpump, and I had to replace the waterpump on an RB20 in a Cefiro as well. Another Skyline I looked at buying the waterpump was ticking. Other's I've looked at have had new pumps.

Also look at the little water pipes that run along the intake side of the motor and around the back of the motor, I've known these to blow quite regulary as well.