Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: Ticking noise from dash  (Read 543 times)

ph1

Ticking noise from dash
« on: June 09, 2001, 09:43:50 PM »
R33 GTS25T
(1/4/01 5:21:08 pm)
Reply  Ticking noise from dash
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Hello all, I was wandering whether anyone knows why my car makes a ticking noise when I start it? After the car turns over it ticks about 3 times, then pauses and then ticks 3 times again. The noise appears to be coming from within the dash. It sounds as if something is initialising as the noise disappears. Is this a known problem with R33's or am I looking at something knew? Any help is appreciated.

Arithon  
SDU Admininstrator
(1/5/01 6:43:32 am)
  Re: Ticking noise from dash
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Sounds as if its a relay thats activating.

I'm assuming the ticking is perfectly regular? We probably need a bit more info about your car, in particular options etc it has.

Neither of my R33's tick as far as i'm aware, but i'll have a listen for it when I go out to lunch.

Arithon

R33 GTS25T
Unregistered User
(1/5/01 9:51:07 am)
Reply  possibly to do with the ACC
 The car is fairly stock it is a 94 GTST with alloys, exhaust and turbo timer. I noticed yesterday that when I turned my ACC off, the ticking noise started again. This is strange because it usually only makes the noise when the ignition is turned to the on position.

Arithon  
SDU Admininstrator
(1/5/01 10:07:45 am)
  Re: possibly to do with the ACC
 Whereabouts exactly do you think its coming from, behind which part of the dash?

Arithon

R33 GTS35T
Unregistered User
(1/5/01 12:18:14 pm)
Reply  position
 It appears to be coming from the left top side of dash... But only slightly left.

Mesmer
(1/6/01 4:16:06 am)
Reply  ticking
 Just a thought could it be the motors that change what vents are open and closed for the c/c.

Froth
(1/6/01 7:27:57 pm)
Reply  ticking
 Hey, my R32 GTS-T does the same thing, but before I hit the starter; after I've turned the ignition on.

R33 GTS25T
(1/8/01 2:50:40 pm)
Reply  RE: Mesmer
 Mesmer you are spot on, I took the car into EVO motor sport (Canberra, Australia) and they confirmed the same thing. It appears to be the motor which opens and closes the vents for the c/c. It is going to cost $120 to have a look at it and hopefully repair it. A new motor will cost about $100 more.

Starion  
SDU Director
(1/8/01 3:00:30 pm)
Reply  Re: RE: Mesmer
 Have you run the dianostics on the c/c? Might save you some $ if you do...

R33 GTS25T
(1/9/01 12:19:22 pm)
Reply  diagnostic mode c/c
 No I haven't run the diagnostic mode for the c/c. Does anyone out there know the procedure to enter the diagnostic mode for the c/c. If you can help it would be greatly appreciated. What should I look out for?

Thanks

Arithon  
SDU Admininstrator
(1/9/01 12:45:20 pm)
  Re: diagnostic mode c/c
 Um, I would LOVE if someone could tell me how to put the R33 Air conditioning into diagnostics mode. I've sat there for like 10 mins pressing all the buttons and stuff to try to make something happen, but no go.

Arithon

Starion  
SDU Director
(1/9/01 12:48:45 pm)
Reply  Re: diagnostic mode c/c
 I've explained this in detail in another thread.
I don't know the ins and outs of the R33 as I copied what was in an R32 service manual. However I noticed in the responses that someone with an R33 went through the same procedure and got the same results.

Starion  
SDU Director
(1/9/01 12:52:37 pm)
Reply  Re: Here it is again...
 This is from the "GTS4 playing funny buggers" thread...

OK since I am in a particularly good mood after watching NZ beat Zimbabwe at the Stadium last night I shall proceed to enlighten you.

It is a six step process, although step six is not used for trouble diagnoses.

Step 1. Self-diagnostic test.
To enter diagnostic mode press the OFF button for more than five seconds within ten seconds of turning ignition from ON to OFF.

Step 2. Sensor check.
Step 2 is selected by pressing HOT switch (the red triangle) while in diagnostic mode. The microcomputer detects whether each sensor input signal is within correct parameters. The results are displayed on the screen.
If normal, a "20" is displayed.
If abnormal the failed sensor number is displayed. The sensor numbers are as follows:

20 - all is normal
21 - outside air sensor
22 - Inside air sensor
23 - Water temperature sensor
24 - Intake temperature sensor
25 - Sunload sensor
26 - PBR
27 - Refrigerant temperature sensor

This should tell you if any of your sensors are faulty.

Step 3. Mode door position check.
(This is probably not the cause of your problems but it is a nifty self check to play with). While in step 2, depress the HOT button again. This will operate the the mode door actuator, and checks the wether the position detection switch is operating. Again the results are displayed on the display.

If normal, a "30" is displayed.
If abnormal the number of the faulty mode is displayed as follows:

30: Normal
31: VENT
32: B/L (Bi level)
34: FOOT
35: DEFROST/FOOT
36: DEFROST

Step 4: Actuator operation check.
By pressing the HOT button while in Step 3, you can actually send a signal to check the operation of the actuator manually. It's a bit tricky and will take all day to write up how it works, so we will skip it!

Step 5: Sensor recognition check.
Press the HOT switch again and a "5" will be indicated in the display section. If you press the "AMB" button in this status, the display will show the temperature sensed by each sensor. This will give you an indication also of which (if any) are faulty. Temperatures will be displayed in the following order:

5 -> Outside air temp -> Inside air temp -> Suction temp -> Refrigerant temp

Obviously if any of these temps seem excessively different from actual temperatures you have a problem!

Step 6: Calibration
If you depress the fan switch during Step 5, you will go to Step 6 in which you can set the difference between the indicated temperature and sensed temperature. I found this very useful because when I got my car I found I had to set the inside temp to around 22 to feel comfortable even though I knew it was probably more like 20.
While in Step 6 press the HOT or COLD buttons to change the display by plus or minus 3 degrees in .5 degree increments.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Arithon  
SDU Admininstrator
(1/9/01 1:21:06 pm)
  Re: Here it is again...
 Well bugger me with an extremely large and blunt instrument. It DOES work for an R33. Thats the first it has ever worked in all the times i've tried.

Maybe I just wasn't holding the button down long enough?

Kewlies, now I have something to play with after work.

Cheers Starion

Arithon