Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: How to communicate with a R33 Skyline ECU  (Read 45544 times)

frankd

How to communicate with a R33 Skyline ECU
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2003, 07:18:39 PM »
hi guys - spoke to the guy at ttz - (ver friendly) and his loan unit is out until next week so will be there in the next week or so to test the ConZult unit on my skyline. the unit was designed for the 300zx but he did indicate that should be no reason as to why it would not work on the skyline as the unit is similar to the nissan consult unit.

if this ConZult unit works i will get one (at $650!) so long as they give me all the command codes for th ecu, then i will write some software that will run on windowsce so it can be hooked upto a handheld.

as far as re-programming the ecu, that is not my intention at this point in time, just want to get the real time data out of it to display but to my understanding the nissan consult unit would allow you to change details such as injector times and the like but the minute you pulled the consult unit out the ecu reset back to its original settings - is this correct?

Ant

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2003, 10:10:16 AM »
Hey, excellent, let us know how it goes frankd! Let me know if you need a hand with the CE software. What language do you work in - MS Visual C++?

The Conzult guys might be interested too, I see on their site that they are considering porting the software to CE.

Cecam, yeah, that's what I would expect to find in the box, probably a Max232 or similar and associated circuitry, probably with some isolation stuff to prevent fried ECU's....

I guess that you can temporarily change RAM variables (eg ignition maps) in the ECU, the changes would stay until you disconnect the battery, or the ECU software overwrites your changes.

Cecam

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2003, 07:14:35 PM »
When my car was on the dyno with the Consult plugged in, and the injector values etc were changed (it was burning through the gas so checking it was controlling things right), I'm pretty sure the ecu sees its lean or rich and adjusts the values back to normal on the fly... but I'd I'm more interested in watching the info than changing it anyways, thou that feature would be useful.

I'm picking the 300Z software will work fine, so I'll wait in anticipation for the results from this exercise Frankd.  

No help on programming thou sorry, I sometimes mod other peoples code as required, but as for writting my own, the results might be scary :)

frankd

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2003, 11:26:43 PM »
thanks for that bit of info cecam. when you say you "mod" their codes what do you mean?

Cecam

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2003, 05:28:23 PM »
Just some assembly and other little bits of code for our PIC's.  Changing it to suit a revision or similar.  Most of our hardware devices has some sort of programmable micro on them, but I try avoid that....  I've done a little C/C++ and some Dephi for little projects, but would not call my self a programmer by any means, last time I wrote any proper code was a few years ago now.

tyndago

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2003, 07:58:08 PM »
Grid Datascan in English

I have a Grid Datascan that does similar stuff to the Consult .

It allows you to look at the ECU. Allows you to datalog .

It allows you to Map trace.

It allows you to run some of the self tests. It allows you to turn off the cylinders one at a time to help find a miss or a dead hole...

I made Hiro from MotoRex buy 5 of them.

http://motorex.net/s-cart/enlarged_image.phtml?f_strProductID=GD001

They want $980 US which is about 1/2 of what a Consult costs.  

Not cheap , but a pretty cool tool.

Impakt

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2003, 12:50:47 PM »
i remember doing a heap of searches on this to make my own rs232 interface and even a circuit with LCD screen to display the data.

Could not find a thing on the protocol, although i remember reading on some jap site that the baud rate is 10400bps. (130 * 8 = 1040). ?

Also, there is a device available in Japan called the Techtom
MDM-100 it does exactly what you are after, displays up to 2 things at a time, which is a limitation of the protocol itself.

I bet that if someone with the right tools got a hold of the techtom (http://www.techtom.co.jp) and sniffed out the data you would have it reversed in a few days.

Impakt

Cecam

• RB20DE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2003, 06:04:17 PM »
Originally posted by frankd
hi guys - spoke to the guy at ttz - (ver friendly) and his loan unit is out until next week so will be there in the next week or so to test the ConZult unit on my skyline.

Any update on this?

frankd

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2003, 06:19:17 PM »
Hi Cecam

Been flat out at work actually - so not yet - i will endevour to call them this week.

harps

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2003, 09:34:42 PM »
Hi guys,I've been reading this thread and found it very informative! I was wondering if anyone knows the actual LED fault codes for the R32 ATTESA ETS or where I might find them? Any help will be appreciated as I've searched everywhere I can think of on the net thanks, peace out!

Tommy WhiteR33

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2003, 07:09:20 PM »
I believe someone in UK tried to use Conzult on a Skyline and it didn't work so I don't think that's going to help you. I think the only way to do it is to get hold of original Nissan Consult or Grid's Data Scan and monitor it's communication.

I got to the point that I can monitor up to 18 variables in real time but still don't know how to do map tracing or switch off relays and cylinders.

Tom

Impakt

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2003, 07:28:06 PM »
Did you monitor those variables using the consult port or by directly tapping into the wiring loom?

Impakt

mjb

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2003, 10:49:50 PM »
Originally posted by frankd
if this ConZult unit works i will get one (at $650!) so long as they give me all the command codes for th ecu, then i will write some software that will run on windowsce so it can be hooked upto a handheld.

Only just recently bought my R32, and found this site pretty quickly. Very useful information all over. I'm pretty impressed!

Anyway, I'm not a handheld sort of person, but I do have an old laptop that I'd ultimately like to use in the car for music, and hopefully to show vehicle information. Since I'd have linux on the laptop, not windows, information rather than code would be great...  I would prefer to write Open Source code for this task.

frankd, I await patiently, any information you can provide!

Tommy WhiteR33

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2003, 11:22:54 AM »
Did you monitor those variables using the consult port or by directly tapping into the wiring loom?

cosnsult port

Impakt

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2003, 11:32:06 AM »
Can you shed any light on the protocol or any other info?

Impakt