Congrats to our New President Anguss!!
Remember to like us on Facebook!! - https://www.facebook.com/skylinesdownunder

Author Topic: How to communicate with a R33 Skyline ECU  (Read 45717 times)

Tommy WhiteR33

How to communicate with a R33 Skyline ECU
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2003, 12:08:54 PM »
:idea:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2003, 01:40:25 PM by Tommy WhiteR33 »

Impakt

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2003, 12:47:33 PM »
:headbutt:

guess not

Impakt
« Last Edit: May 05, 2003, 03:07:20 PM by Impakt »

Ant

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2003, 02:56:15 PM »
Tom, any chance you can pm me what you've found about the protocol?

Cheers!

Ant

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2004, 03:23:47 PM »
An update - as per the other thread on a similar topic I found this link:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/webspace/plms/

These guys have documented the protocol and the hardware required to interface to a PC.

Might have a play with that when I get some spare time....

Who?

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2004, 05:57:51 PM »
Excellent news Ant.

I have organised for some interface boards to be made up. Should have a prototype PCB by the weekend. If anyone else is interested in a PCB, let me know so I can get a feel for numbers. (PM me)

Will start work on a Windoze PC based app once I've got the board, and one of my team is keen to do a CE version.

Impakt

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2004, 06:47:43 PM »
Im already 99% done with a PIC based version that displays up to 8 things at a time on a 4x20LCD screen.

Currently works very well with my bluebird attesa, im adding a few more features over the coming weeks and will also look into getting PCB's made up for that along with laser cut plastic boxes.

It will (hopefully) also display injector duty cycle, and will store all maximum values in the internal EEPROM for later reference.

This also has a PC RS232 port on it.

Only challenge now is to find those damn Consult plugs!

Impakt

Ant

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2004, 08:30:26 PM »
Originally posted by Who?
Excellent news Ant.

I have organised for some interface boards to be made up. Should have a prototype PCB by the weekend. If anyone else is interested in a PCB, let me know so I can get a feel for numbers. (PM me)

Will start work on a Windoze PC based app once I've got the board, and one of my team is keen to do a CE version.

Gawd, you lot will have it all up and running before I even have a chance to start doing for myself. Count me in for a PCB if you're making....

CE version - keep me posted, I work on CE apps with serial comms......

Impakt

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2004, 01:45:13 PM »
Anyone getting anywhere with this? I am 99% done with my LCD based circuit, displays TPS 0-100%, duty cycle, and now stores the max rpm, duty cycle, afm voltage, battery voltage, and a few other things in the EEPROM for later reference.

Again, only problem is getting those consult plugs from somewhere.

Anyone have any luck with these?

Impakt

Ant

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2004, 06:47:12 PM »
Sorry, been meaning to post a progress report. So far I've built the interface circuit and written some basic testing code for the PocketPC platform (eg Ipaq). I've been able to successfully establish communication with the RB ECU and read back a few parameters (eg ECU serial, checked against the actual serial), so it's looking pretty good at this stage.

Next step is to start working on the data display properly, will post back when I get that going.

Re the plugs, nope, I'm doing the same, poking wires into the Consult plug. I've done some research, so far been able to establish that it is called a 'DDL' (Diagnostic Data Link) connector, but nothing other than that. I've done a lot of work with wiring harness design so hopefully I can find out who makes the connector.

The other thing on my list of stuff to find out is the ID and register addresses for the ATTESSA unit. Not sure how to go about that as it seems that the data I'm basing my work on has been derived from 300ZX's so there is no mention at all of ATTESSA stuff. But I might have some techniques I can use to try to figure this out.

Will get on to that once I've advanced the app a bit further. May need to borrow someone's GTR/GTS4 to do this, any volunteers in the Auckland (pref central/Onehunga) area?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 06:51:51 PM by Ant »

Impakt

« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2004, 11:53:02 PM »
AFAIK samsung make the connector...

Impakt

Who?

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2004, 08:06:55 AM »
Got the interface circuit built up here too. I had to replace the 78L05 reg with a 7805 reg due to them not up to handling the current. Anyone else have this problem?

Got most off the protocol VB DLL written. This means you can add your own UI and my DLL does all the work talking to the ECU. Can get serial number, and any of the variables for display. Need to design the UI for displaying data.

Won't get back to it for a couple of weeks.

Ant

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2004, 03:13:08 PM »
Originally posted by Impakt
AFAIK samsung make the connector...

Impakt

Will follow that one up. Can you remember where you heard that?

Haven't noticed any issues with current draw, then again I haven't really checked either! Will check that out.

One issue I have had is that I can only communicate with the ECU, the header strings in those docs for the Aircon and Hicas didn't work. Also my car is a manual so I couldn't check the if it will communicate with the Auto controller. Who?, have you tried talking to modules other than the ECU?

Who?

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2004, 09:40:52 PM »
Not yet. Will give it a try next time I hook it up. Mines an auto.

xfixiate

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2004, 11:44:14 AM »
I downloaded the R32 GTR service manual (800 pages) and it has some details for the pins signals etc.
Might help you?
Alternatively the Z32 hardware diagrams for building the CONZULT are freeware (software isn't, so this might help kickstart your skyline project.
Of course, the R32 would be easier to start with - but I'm biased ;-)

Impakt

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2004, 11:47:27 AM »
The schematics available on the internet would work for any nissan, not only z32.

The biggest challenge at the moment is finding the connectors

Impakt